another hello from England

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

another hello from England

Postby spanoghe » Fri May 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi everyone! Just been told about this forum by a friend - :) feel like I've walked into a nice pub. I've been playing blues for 50 (not a misprint) years now, tho' not as well as you might expect, given all that time! Some top favourites are Fred McDowell, Kokomo Arnold, Tampa Red, Sonny Boy II, The Wolf, James Cotton ... play various electric and acoustic guitars - bottleneck, lap steel and conventional - and harps. Still learning!
spanoghe
Regular

Re: another hello from England

Postby maxx england » Fri May 08, 2009 6:43 pm

Welcome aboard, where are you? Have guitar, will jam :mrgreen:

Yup, nice place here, nobody gets what is referred to as retrocranial inversion, the rest of us won't stand for it.

New boys get the drinks in, mine's an Old Rosie.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Jane fromLondonUK » Fri May 08, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi, and welcome. But don't buy maxx a drink -- he's got some multi-wheeled dangerous contraption in the car park. :D
Jane fromLondonUK
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri May 08, 2009 7:57 pm

But that's for sleeping in instead of driving after the drinking. Warm, dry, en suite, hot & cold, cooker, fridge. You have to do things properly :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wanderingyankee » Sat May 09, 2009 8:57 am

Welcome Spans,

Whereabouts r u?
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby spanoghe » Sat May 09, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm from Leighton Buzzard - just South of Milton Keynes. I go to the blues jam at the Nag's Head, High Wycombe, occasionally. Recommended!
spanoghe
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat May 09, 2009 4:56 pm

Without looking anywhere to ascertain distance, this any good to you? Robin Bibi hosts electric jams in the london area:

http://www.robinbibiband.co.uk/
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wanderingyankee » Sun May 10, 2009 6:34 am

maxx england wrote:Without looking anywhere to ascertain distance, this any good to you? Robin Bibi hosts electric jams in the london area:

http://www.robinbibiband.co.uk/

Is Robin Bibi the guy that wears the funny SRV hat/clothes..?
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Sun May 10, 2009 6:49 am

spanoghe wrote:I go to the blues jam at the Nag's Head, High Wycombe, occasionally. Recommended!

Nag's Head is a great little place. No parking though..:(

I go to the Cricketers Jam in Rowtown, Surrey. http://www.myspace.com/cricketersjamrowtown

Very relaxed atmosphere and no cliques.

There are some recordings of the jam at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music
If you decide to listen, I'll warn you now....there's some very rough stuff recorded here with quite a few high cringe moments. But hey, thats what these unrehearsed jams are all about....:)
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun May 10, 2009 4:01 pm

Yup, Bibi does the stage gear, can play a bit too. One of his night gigs in Swanage, I'm stood by the side listening to what he was doing, you know how people take off into long semi jams? I think I heard half his record collection, and he's got some good stuff in there :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby spanoghe » Sun May 10, 2009 4:12 pm

thanks for the suggestions guys - these look good fun. Bill Smith's write-up on Robin's site is v positive and Bill knows his blues onions ... problem is that S London/Surrey is a pain to get to - hours on the accursed M25.

But I guess I should make it down sometime; after all, I do get down to the Oval Tavern in East Croydon. I expect someone has already recommended the Oval on this forum, but if not: it's great! Good bands, friendly vibe, good beer and landlord plays amazing rare vinyl - R&B, Ska and Rock Steady and Blues - in the interval.

Yes, Robin sure can play - but I feel that as the blues scene gets increasingly festival-focused, players get tempted into extended rabble-rousing displays of virtuosity, which can get a bit tedious, however technically impressive ... o dear I think that was a wee rant ... :oops:
spanoghe
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun May 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Bibi's OK, doesn't get his head stuck up it. What's nice, he's got a radio widget on his Strat, so if you can't see him, he comes to see you :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sun May 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Listened to the Cricketers, if I go there, I'd better take No.1 bat in with me, some of those boys have a vague idea what they're doing.

Spanoghe, how far are you from Edgeware? I have a brother there, I know he's there because the poor silly bugger's pinned down by his wife's thumb; I like to get him out to be disreputable when I can, really winds her up :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue May 12, 2009 9:19 am

Welcome!
ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You