Survived our first gig!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Survived our first gig!

Postby 1four5 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:46 pm

I just got home after our first gig! No blues...but there is a blues connection. The guys I jam with are like country to the max, so I play blues when I'm alone, but country when we get together. Well...this spring I got a reso guitar, tuned it to open G and started blues fingerpicking. One of my buddies got a banjo...but never pursued learning it. He brought it to a jam in June...I picked it up and low and behold, it's tuned to the same as my reso! NEVER in my life have I had so much fun so quick on any instrument. I just simplified and sped up my blues pickin and fell right in....played it the whole jam. Got me my own banjo in July, and been the banjo guy ever since. Not any flash yet...just adding the banjo flavor to their country songs. My wife works for Goodwill Industries, and got us our first gig at their Labor day employee appreciation party today. We were scheduled for a 30 minute time slot. What a blast, it was the first time ever for me and our bass player (I'm 44 and he's 54...it's never too late!). I'm a light smoker, and before we went on was the first time in my life I ever chained two smokes together. We chose an easy no brainer for a warm up song...after the first verse I discovered I could play with my hands shaking like a leaf. Seeing the crowd tapping their feet and actually singing made me smile...and I quickly discovered I could play fine without looking at my fret board. By the end of the first song I forgot I was supposed to be nervous and we had a riot!!! We got a little rowdy, and even had em dancing. We had prepared 7 songs, with two extras just in case. We ended up playing for 45 minutes, and everything we had! Afterwards they gave us a tour of the plant and invited us back any time. We have a website here http://www.ukeblue.com/band.html with some recordings we made at a jam last weekend. Hoping to update it with some pictures etc from today soon. This would never had happened for me if you guys haden't convinced me to tune my guitar different last spring...I wouldn't have given the banjo a second strum. Now it's time to get them to add some blues to the mix :)
1four5
Regular

RE: Survived our first gig!

Postby jeffl » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:15 pm

Good shootin',one-fer! Ain't fun what it's all about? You'll prob'ly get some party gigs outa that one!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:32 pm

Allright 145!

That's a cool discovery and a neat way to fit into the country group. It's all gravy from here on in...just don't smoke too much! :D

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:46 pm

That's terrific!

Something to experiment with: Move your blues scale patterns you already know in G three frets toward the nut. That gives you the blues scale in E, which is the "traditional blues scale" or "major blues scale" in G. Play your blues licks in E over the I, IV, V in G, landing back on G as the tonal center, and you'll get a happier sounding melody that'll fit in really well with country. Lots of country music is based around the major pentatonic. The traditional blues scale is the major pentatonic with an added b3. Just like the blues scale is a minor pentatonic with an added b5 or #4. It's a modal shift.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:29 pm

>We got a little
>rowdy, and even had em dancing.

well good fer you 1four4! you had the people votin' with their feet!
nizer
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:26 pm

Way to go, 145!

Ain't it great?
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:34 am

Thanks a bunch you'all! Man I'm still high from it :) Thanks for tips Ricochet...I'm hoping to start adding some licks and taking some breaks as I get better, and have done some messing around with some pentatonic leads on the banjo. Tim the bass player likes blues and sometimes I can be a bad influence on him, and we'll mess with it from time to time. I do see some potential for some nasty stuff on a banjo with it's punchy attack and quick fade. We did "Man of Constant Sorrow" and I did a very guitar like riff on my banjo for that one. Here's a recording: http://ezfolk.com/audio/play.php?band_i ... =song_hifi I would like to develope some more stuff like that. The Jedd Clampit stuff is ok, but I don't want to do what everyone else does. BTW, here's some pictures my lovely wife took today http://www.ukeblue.com/firstgig.html
1four5
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:36 am

Gigging's great eh?
Nice one 145. I think the nerves thing stays with you and helps you in some ways, just don't let it win!
But... Country? Which country?
stumblin
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:20 pm

Man...I better define...at least the guys are into decent classic country stuff...and old public domain stuff, and originals...heck, I even wrote one we played...that was cool as heck. We don't touch the bubblegum pop country stuff that they play on the radio now adays.
1four5
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:18 pm

Hey Dean-

Nice Pics. I just took the time to listen to all of your posted songs. You guys got a good head start. Your banjo seems to be the only country happenin' though and it's kinda buried under all of that guitar strumming. (I realize it's a live recording.)

I guess my point is you should encourage your buddy to stick to and develop his mandolin playing for another instrument voice and the other guitar to play more solos and single note rhytyhm lines. bringing your reso into the act couldn't hurt either. I know the group is just starting out and this is a casual observation, not meant to be criticizm. Good luck and have fun!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:54 pm

Hey thanks a bunch Bosco! I really appreciate the listen and thoughts! That helps a lot! Sometimes I feel like I'm hanging on for dear life with the banjo...but it's getting easier every day, and I'm hoping it won't take long to get bolder...and start giving those guitars a run for it...I just got my first set of fingerpicks in the mail yesterday :) I also agree wholeheartedly with the mando! I love it when Tom breaks it out. It's old as the hills, and has some tuning issues, but once he gets it sorted out, I hope he uses it a lot more! Thanks again!
1four5
Regular

Postby nizer » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:50 pm

>Man...I better define...at least the guys are into decent
>classic country stuff...and old public domain stuff, and
>originals...heck, I even wrote one we played...that was cool
>as heck. We don't touch the bubblegum pop country stuff that
>they play on the radio now adays.

Don't worry about it. People get all huffy and caught up in labelling genres - I have no idea why. Don't let the Blues Posse scare you. Ever head of Jimmie Rodgers? "Blue Yodel" (T for Texas)? How about the Delmore Brothers doing "Blues Stay Away From Me?". Is that Blues or Country? Let the academics worry about it.

Heck, Rock and Roll was an accident - it was just white hillbilly teenagers trying to sing Blues songs (e.i. Elvis' "That's Alright Mama"). People got upset about it then, too, but for the opposite reason. They didn't think decent white folks should be playin "jungle music".

Who cares what it's called. You're on the right track and it sounds great to me.
nizer
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:28 pm

>How about the Delmore Brothers doing "Blues Stay Away From Me?".<

Man Nizer...now you got me pumped! Thanks! I didn't even know that was a song...a couple weeks ago at a practice me and our bass player started a 12 bar while the others was gettin something to drink...when Tom came back he started singing that line, and I was doing some lead note soloing on my banjo (wierd but cool as heck)...we carried on for about 10 minutes, I thought he was making it up on the fly... man I was in heaven. Ha!!! Wait till I sneek that into our play book, and Tom already knows it :)
1four5
Regular

Postby nizer » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:05 pm

Haha! - an ambush! Go get 'em tiger! Check out the Delmore Brothers for lots of other similar great stuff. Their harmonies are monster and very Bluesy. And they have the coolest guitar rhythm licks.
nizer
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:52 am

Recently got an early rock'n'roll cd, Delmore Brothers were on it, utterly wonderful! Blues ain't nothing but a feel and that one is it.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs