New Strat Day!!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New Strat Day!!

Postby bignick » Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 am

Traded my Dillion LP copy for it. I'm just not a Les Paul man...or at least an LP copy man. I've had three beautiful LP copies and have sold all of them. I love the look of them, but I just don't play them as well as I do strats...or as comfortably.

This is an MIM Standard. Not sure what year, probably 90s. The previous owner converted it to be a David Gilmour clone. I haven't checked the pickups yet but they added the black guard and even trimmed the trem arm down in length.

It took to Open E perfectly. I barely had to adjust the saddles.

This is the most solid electric guitar I've ever owned and it reminds me of the black American Standard with the maple neck I foolishly traded for a drum kit when I was a kid. I don't even want to touch this one right now...I'm loving it that much. I think I'm going to order a GFS steel trem block for it, but thats it. The pups actually sound really good...I've got a thing for the Mexi Fenders.
bignick
Regular

Re: New Strat Day!!

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed May 06, 2009 5:49 am

Goddamn, I want it. Left handed of course. :lol: You lucky dog. I love MIM Fenders as well, as long as they're used. New ones don't play as well as broken in ones IMO. Did he use the same pickups as the Gilmour Strat? That thing is badass indeed.

As for the year, what's the serial number on it?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grady » Wed May 06, 2009 5:52 am

Yes, that is a nice looking Strat.
The thing about Strats is, when you get one that's right, you hang on to it.
grady
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed May 06, 2009 9:38 am

grady wrote:Yes, that is a nice looking Strat.

that's right, I must have had about 7 or 8, but all went out the door again except my Special Edition '93, even though I don't play it as much anymore as I used to - I am now using my Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede as main stage guitar - this is one guitar that I'll never sell
jaybee
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed May 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Goddamn, I want it. Left handed of course. :lol: You lucky dog. I love MIM Fenders as well, as long as they're used. New ones don't play as well as broken in ones IMO. Did he use the same pickups as the Gilmour Strat? That thing is badass indeed.

As for the year, what's the serial number on it?

I knew I'd get you on this one Left. :lol: I don't think the guy sprung for the Gilmour pickups but I didn't want to pop the pickguard off just yet. I tinker so damn much that I wanted to just play it stock for awhile and not let my gear-whoring biases affect my ears.

I'll have to check the serial number when I get home. It has definitely been played. It has some tarnish on the pickup magnets and hardware and the neck feels great - a couple of small chips on the edge but no big deal. The guy moved the strap button on the horn and didn't fill in the old hole. I'm going to have that done on Friday for $10.

Yes, that is a nice looking Strat.

I agree. Even my American Standard didn't feel as nice as this one. Everything just seems to be in order. I had to have it immediately upon playing it at the shop yesterday.
bignick
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Wed May 06, 2009 1:46 pm

Mexican strats are terrific-- I have a Deluxe edition they made with SRV type neck and USA noiseless pickups that is awesome-- tho I still prefer the Jap models which I think are better than most USA Strats

I see the price of the new Mex models have gone crazy--that I don't understand
goldbrick
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed May 06, 2009 3:29 pm

goldbrick wrote:I see the price of the new Mex models have gone crazy--that I don't understand

All new Fenders went up in price on February 1st, IIRC. That will drive the price of the used ones up too, a bit.

Nice git, Nick.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby bignick » Wed May 06, 2009 3:46 pm

In all actuality, I knew it was only a matter of time before Fender would raise their prices. Gibson is raising their's as well. It really isn't all that hard to believe that the MIMs are now going up in price now that the MIJs are considered vintage and collectible. MIJ Squier strats starting with an "E" in the serial number are going for around $600.

The MIM will go the way of MIJ eventually. The quality of the MIMs and the sound out of the box is really quite good IMO. I actually prefer the MIMs now...even over the American strats, which is sad.

What really makes me sick is that all of this increase happened after I sold my Gibson Faded V and my Fender Deluxe Players Strat. The Deluxe is going for around $600 now and the Faded V is up to around $500-$600 used. I bought mine new for $389 when they were clearing them out.
bignick
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues