Cheapest recording gear for guitar, vocals and stomp.

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Cheapest recording gear for guitar, vocals and stomp.

Postby enotodden » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:53 am

I want to record some of my songs to put on myspace and such.
Mainly I want to record: Acoustic guitar(with pickup), Vocals and Stompbox(with buildt in pickup).

Does anyone have an idea on how to get there the cheapest way there is?

Btw. My computer is slow and needs replacing, so anything that needs a fairly decent computer is out of the question.
enotodden
Regular

Re: Cheapest recording gear for guitar, vocals and stomp.

Postby Bournio » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 am

A 4 track digital recorder may be the best bet, just have a look to make sure it can record all the tracks simultaneously to different channels, Tascam have the DP-004, unfortunately I think it only has 2 inputs.
My older Bro has a Fostex MR8 which records to flash, I think that cost about £200-250, It seems quite good quality, I don't know about a supplier in Norway though
Bournio
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:35 pm

I have the MR8HD, which goes to a hard drive instead of flash, that ran me $250 on sale, about $350 new. The one with the CD burner is about another $50. But, flash is cheap these days so that is an option.

I enjoy my recorder, decent quality and gets the job done. You can bounce to stereo on the unit, or connect via USB to your pc to finish (probably not if your pc sucks). So for you, the MR8HD with the CD burner might be the best bet.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby phatfunkjazz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:13 am

Hi, after years of recording directly INTO my computer, I have grown weary of that method. Here's a link to another recording option:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_H2_Handy_Recorder

You can record live in your room, then transfer the recording to your computer via USB to edit the recording. It's simple and the device itself is sold for under $200.00 (US currency).

I used to use PowerTracks, Band-In-A-Box, and other inexpensive software applications. I could never afford the high-end stuff, and frankly, it's too complicated for me. I just want to focus on playing the music.

peace,
Stefan
phatfunkjazz
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:21 am

I'm hooked on the high-end PC gear.

Steinberg Nuendo
Waves Mercury Bundle
PSP Audioware

It takes a pretty good Computer to run that stuff but, the difference in quality is amazing.
grady
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Computer recording doesn't need a lot of horsepower, especially if you're only doing three track recording. You should be able to do that on just about any computer made in the past 10 years.

Audacity is a free recording program that should work on your computer, regardless of OS (Windows/Linux/Mac OS X versions).

With the right cables, you should be able to get two track recording going just with the audio in on your computer, but since you want three tracks, you'll need some sort of PCI/USB2/FireWire400 device with at least two stereo inputs. You can probably find something used in your area/e-bay.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby LesFromChicago » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:26 pm

I've been reading this thread and other recording threads hoping to learn some tips on computer recording.

I don't understand the need for multiple track recoding. Why does it have to be so complicated? Is it not possible to get a decent sounding recording one-track, no editing, no mixing?
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby bacchant » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:10 pm

phatfunkjazz wrote:Hi, after years of recording directly INTO my computer, I have grown weary of that method. Here's a link to another recording option:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_H2_Handy_Recorder

You can record live in your room, then transfer the recording to your computer via USB to edit the recording. It's simple and the device itself is sold for under $200.00 (US currency).

I used to use PowerTracks, Band-In-A-Box, and other inexpensive software applications. I could never afford the high-end stuff, and frankly, it's too complicated for me. I just want to focus on playing the music.

peace,
Stefan

The H2 looks good. The reviews Praise the quality of sound this thing can capture. The H4n, its big brother, looks better if u want the option of editing and the H4n has other goodies but the H2 is the cheapest simplest way to get quality sound on the net if the reviews are right.
bacchant
Regular

Postby Bournio » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:54 am

LesFromChicago wrote:I've been reading this thread and other recording threads hoping to learn some tips on computer recording.

I don't understand the need for multiple track recoding. Why does it have to be so complicated? Is it not possible to get a decent sounding recording one-track, no editing, no mixing?

It is possible, you'd need to position a condenser microphone in a room, play a bit, see how it sounds and reposition your mic till you're happy with the mix...

Multitracking allows for you to record each instrument seperately, although playing them at the same time, and then you can leave the music alone for a while, and come back and get a decent mix... and it means that you could do odd things like the digital bass remix or whatever!
Bournio
Regular

Postby LesFromChicago » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:17 pm

Bournio wrote:
LesFromChicago wrote:I've been reading this thread and other recording threads hoping to learn some tips on computer recording.

It is possible, you'd need to position a condenser microphone in a room, play a bit, see how it sounds and reposition your mic till you're happy with the mix...

Multitracking allows for you to record each instrument seperately, although playing them at the same time, and then you can leave the music alone for a while, and come back and get a decent mix... and it means that you could do odd things like the digital bass remix or whatever!

Thanks Bournio. How can I tell whether any of my mics is a condenser?
LesFromChicago
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:21 pm

A condenser mic always requires power. Either "ghost power" from the equipment it's connected to, or it'll have a battery inside.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bacchant » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:05 pm

If you get a USB condenser mic it will record straight into your puter.

http://www.music123.com/MXL-990-USB-Stereo-Condenser-Microphone-271093-i1372215.Music123
bacchant
Regular

Return to Recording