New Guitar Month for me!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New Guitar Month for me!

Postby bignick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:09 pm

I've been too lazy to post these:

The first is a Samick Valley Arts Custom strat. I bought it used for my Dad for $100 with case a year ago and traded him an amp for it last weekend. I recently upgraded all of the pots. It has some kind of Seymour Duncan in the neck and two GFS rails. I'm currently looking for some kind of standard pickup to put in the middle position if anyone has one for cheap. The finish is a worn seafoam green. I may eventually replace the guard with a parchment one with black knobs and pickup covers. My only other upgrade is a GFS solid steel tremelo block. This is just a great guitar. I wish Samick still made these strats. This one's in Open E and is named "JB" after Jeff Beck because I name all of my guitars after a guitar hero.

This is a Dillion LP copy that I got off a buddy for $100. He sold me the tonepros hardware for $25 and I swapped another buddy for a Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz humbucker set. I also put on Wilkinson tuners which cost me another $25. I have about $215 total with Ernie Ball strap locks. My friend had already replaced all of the pots and caps. This one's name is Duane and it is tuned to Open E also.

This is my 3rd LP copy in 10 years and it is my favorite. Dillion's rock.

bignick
Regular

Re: New Guitar Month for me!

Postby jeffl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:45 pm

Looks like yer dialed Nick. Nuthin' like new axes.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Cheap new axes to boot, but I tell you what...I've been playing that strat for 3-days and it is almost perfect for what I want to do.

My only issue is that I am really disliking the hot-rail humbuckers. At least the one in the middle. I put the stock single coil back in the middle and it sounded a lot better last night.

Now I'm pissed because I put 500K pots in this thing thinking it was going to be humbucker loaded and now I need to convert at least one back to a 250K.
bignick
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:04 pm

Nice
I like that LP, need to get me something like that.
I've got a Yammie Strat copy black. I like it and it plays better than most any MIM Strat I've played. Maybe I can get your opinion on it sometime to see what can be done to it to trick it out.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:14 pm

Get a set of these and some new pots.

You won't be disappointed and we are talking like $80.

If you want to pay $20 more, get one of those import steel trem blocks. It is a thicker block than those cheap skinny little blocks all those imports come with.

MIMs are $549 now. Can you believe that shit? I'll never buy another Fender guitar new. Hell, I'd rather build one.
bignick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:12 pm

$549 for the MIM is outrageous. The price goes up as the quality goes downhill.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:26 pm

bignick wrote:Get a set of these and some new pots.

You won't be disappointed and we are talking like $80.

If you want to pay $20 more, get one of those import steel trem blocks. It is a thicker block than those cheap skinny little blocks all those imports come with.

MIMs are $549 now. Can you believe that shit? I'll never buy another Fender guitar new. Hell, I'd rather build one.

By a set of these and pots you mean what you did ?
It has no whammy & only 1 vol and 1 tone knob, probably why I like it more.
I'll have to grab a couple photos over the weekend to post.

After reading this thread I dunno if I want to do it, at least yet.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefre ... stion.html
birddog
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Damn..I meant to link you to a set of 64 Grey Bottom Staggers from www.guitarfetish.com AWESOME pups.

If you want an LP...get some low output pafs.
bignick
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks
I'll get some photos over the weekend, need to get it out & play it anyhow.
Oh, by the way its got a dual pup in the rear.

Nick, have you seen or played any of those SA Les Pauls ? Think it stands for Stellar Mercury.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:01 pm

birddog wrote:After reading this thread I dunno if I want to do it, at least yet.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefre ... stion.html

Change the pots if they're scratchy or you want to change the sound in a way that a different value pot will actually affect. If the tone control rolls off too much or too little treble, change the cap for something else.

There are lots of great 24.75" scale dual humbucker guitars being made all over asia right now if you want a Les Paul type guitar.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby CashWiley » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:52 pm

I think a new guitar a month is a great idea! :twisted:
CashWiley
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Thanks for the explaination Rusty.
Didn't really understand how they work. I suppose the amp may make alot of the difference it the sound though. So far I really haven't been able to afford a good tube amp yet. I do have a Frontman 25R that sounds pretty good especially with a blues driver pedal.
I do like to tinker with stuff & it is reversable if I don't like it.
Here's the guitar
Its a pretty good player for me.
If I could make it a little better for not that much money, I'd be ahead of getting someting else.

Sorry Nick, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just thought you got a bit of knowlege on this stuff. Wouldn't be opposed to running up your way to let you put your hands on it for a physical opinion, better than pictures.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby bignick » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:08 pm

Anytime man.

I should have paid more attention to the fact that your strat is a hum-single-single configuration.

My reason for changing the pots is that I've owned at least 5 cheap strats for modding purposes. All of those strats seemed to sound better with some aftermarket volume and tone pots.

My most recent guitar was an SX strat and it really came to life with some new electronics.

As far as pickups on that thing go...I would play around with it and just figure out what is causing you a problem. If your tuners are holding good - don't change them. If you like a stock pickup in there - leave it in.

If you do decide to upgrade: trickedoutguitar.com and guitarfetish.com are the best sites to do it on the cheap. They have great service and quality parts for the money. I would lean towards GFS though. You can get an entire wired pickguard for $34 and they sound killer if you don't mind ceramic humbuckers and single coils.
bignick
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues