Ugh, realized how much I suck

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Re: Ugh, realized how much I suck

Postby CashWiley » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Don't be afraid to walk away if the house band or whoever gets up with you does something you're not comfortable with. Years ago I was dabbling with singing, and I wanted to sing a Tool song. I told the house band "Anything but Sober". They talk, proceed to rip into Sober. I put the mic in the stand and went to the bar and ordered a beer. Life's too short for that kind of nonsense.

That said, you have enough of a set that even someone like me (who also has a very limited repertoire) could jam with at least half of it by ear. We're pretty lucky to have a decent set of blues guys in the area, even though finding a drummer is tough.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Finding a drummer round here isn't a problem. Finding one with his own kit, vehicle and no personal problems, well........
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ashm86 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:37 pm

Well, I am on the list for tonight. I am hoping that I am not going on after some local guitar genius.....

I got my stuff already to go, I am allowed to do my set(s) in 15 minute slots, then I go to the back of the line again. I figure I will do one set in D and the other in G. They will not be 15 minutes, but at least I will get up and git-r-dun!

Anyone on this board from the GTA area? I am in Oakville.
ashm86
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:27 pm

ashm86, just keep at it. Do what you have to to be on the stage. Take your tricone and take a regular 6 string in standard tuning. When I first hooked up with my last band I was terrified to take the stage. I had been in bands before but not like that. I was forced to learn 30 songs in two weeks and then I had to play songs on stage I had never played before. I made my share of blunders, every night. I did it for two years. The new band I am playing with were amazed at our first practice. They tried to "educate" me on how they play. My full step drop tune on my bass confused them. I finally had to tell them to stop telling me what I had to do and just tell me what key. They looked at me and said "fine Gb." The piano man said "that would be G to you" and I told him politely "no, it's Gb for me also." We had a great first practice. They hired me on the spot. The problem was they play in a half step drop and they wanted me to do the same but I told them no, that I very seldom if even play an open string. My point is that the two years with the old band taught me how to improvise and do it quickly. I am glad I'm not with that band anymore but I am grateful for what I learned during my time with them. Do what you have to for stage time. It's under that pressure that will make you a great player. After about a year the butterflys finally left me just before a show.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:18 pm

maxx england wrote:Finding a drummer round here isn't a problem. Finding one with his own kit, vehicle and no personal problems, well........

being a drummer IS a personal problem... :roll: 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:09 am

I got hooked up with a guy who is a drummer AND a musician!
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 pm

I have a rule that all good drummers are nuts. The theory goes that you have all these guys sitting around playing musical instruments and this one guy in the back just beating the shit out of things. It takes a special kind of person.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby Ed Boyd » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Q: What do you call a drummer without a girl friend?
Last edited by Ed Boyd on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Boyd
Regular

Postby Ed Boyd » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:48 pm

A: Homeless.
Ed Boyd
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:I got hooked up with a guy who is a drummer AND a musician!

Now come on, make up your mind, you can't have both.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to About Gigs