Blues-Like Pedals

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Blues-Like Pedals

Postby zero89 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Im trying to find a good set of pedals that are vintage, and have a soft sound.

Right now im using a Behringer Volume Pedal, a Boss BD-2 and recently bought a Line 6 Echo Park, my next 2 purchases will be a Boss Super CH-1 Chorus Pedal and a Vox Wah Pedal (I like it better than the Crybaby)

Do you have any recomendations for other effects? Pedals are worth from 70 to 150 the piece, so I would really like advice before buying something that give me a heavy or bad quality sound.
zero89
Regular

Re: Blues-Like Pedals

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 am

TS9. I love mine.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Blues-Like Pedals

Postby zero89 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:52 am

I was never too keen about Ibanez because of their heavy sounding guitars, but their pedals is a completely different story.

They are very light on sound and have great features.

I mean, SRV gave the Tube Screamer its legendary status.

Any other pedal recomendations? Phaser/Reverb?
zero89
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:43 am

The Holy Grail reverb is phenomenal. Another good pedal I recommend you try is the Boosta Grande Clean Boost. I love that pedal.

I'm not too keen on phasers so I never have used one really.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Without going too boutique, I'd suggest the latest version of the MXR Carbon Copy analog delay - great slap-back delay, or haunting echos.
Very warm, chewy, organic-sounding delay
If I were to go out and get a wah.... I'd get a Budda...

pEAcE,

jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby Ed Boyd » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:40 pm

I don't know if they are any good but the wah-wahs where the the pedal looks like a bare foot are cool looking. But I use either an old Thomas Organ Company Crybaby or a Morley I have.

Something I don't use any more is a rack mounted Chandler Tube Driver. I still have it. It is a good unti I just quit using it because some of my other effects got real noisy after a long layoff so I bought a Roland digital mulit-effect thing that replaced everything but the wah pedal. The Roland thing does wah but my God it is awlful. There isn't enough pedal travel and well ... it sucks. I use the pedal part on the Roland to control volume.

The Roland thing sort of sucks. Out of like 3 million sounds there are only about 4 patches I find useful. But those that are useful sound OK and the signal to noise ratio is pretty good compared to all the old stomp boxes I have had. Though even though it is noisy my old Memory Man is still my favorite chorus of all time.

But when I try to be blues like the fewer effects the better for me. Just take a tube amp and crank it. If I wanted to be bluesy I would probably trade in the Line6 for a Fender or Boogie or somethng but that is just my personal taste.

Jam on!
Ed Boyd
Regular

Postby multisounds » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi Folks,

If it's absolute budget, all you need is Chorus and Overdrive pedals!!! Keep it simple I'd say! It works well on all fronts. :o

cheers
Multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:17 pm

absolute budget? an amp with a decent clean sound and a Digitech Bad Monkey

a little more budget? BOSS SD-1 instead of Bad Monkey (the SD-1 is my absolute all time favorite, but the Bad Monkey is cheaper...)

if you can't spend a lot of money on an analog delay, buy a crappy cheap digital (Behringer - GLX - ...), these more often than not sound like an expensive analog... :roll: - the more expensive digitals (BOSS, Digitech) are too "good"

my 'basic' setup is an SD-1, a delay pedal for slapback and a reverb pedal (amp has no reverb)

sometimes I add a second SD-1, a VoodooLab Sparkle Drive, Behringer amp boost or TS808 for extra drive (one of them usually is for 'clean' boost and to drive the second one harder, getting a 3-channel amp effect)

longer delays for solo's are handled by T-Rex Replica

'leslie' simulation: combination of Boss TR-2 and either a BoSS chorus or Behringer Vintage Phaser

wah: VOX

all these have been collected, buying & trading, over a couple of decades... I think it's the only way to go, get one, try it out and then decide whether you like it or not... the ones I liked have stayed, the others found their way to new owners...
jaybee
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:36 pm

I'd like to get a delay at some point, but right now I only use a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET for overdrive. Even that I only use when I can't crank my amp (which is most of the time, the fender 65 deluxe verb is pretty loud). I use just a hint of reverb and a decent slathering of tremolo from the amp, slow and fairly deep.

I like the two stages of the Fulldrive, and the boost is very rich with great sustain. The main reason I use is is sustain, actually.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby harpdude » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:12 pm

I'm now down to 2 pedals. First is an Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay re-issue. Beautiful delay pedal that I use mostly as a harp pedal for my blues jams. http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAD9

My other is my "Everything" pedal for guitar and harp. It's smaller than most pedal boards but has every effect I'll ever need. It's analog controlled so no menu surfing, uses only one power supply , or runs forever on 6 "AA" batteries. (can ya tell I like it!)

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/ME-50/
harpdude
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Another thing to consider before getting rid of any pedals you might own is putting them in different orders. Your tone can change quite a bit if you rearrange your pedals.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:45 am

Lefty is absolutely right about order. It is crucial.

My favorite pedal is the Electro Harmonix LPB1 clean boost clone that I made a couple of weeks ago. You can buy them at generalguitargadgets.com for $38. If you have a tube amp, there ain't nothing better imo. I have mine positioned between my reverb pedal and my compressor. Adds grit even at low volume...just enough.

If you are on a budget, the Behringer Digital Reverb pedal is a gem. Just a really really nice sounding reverb for the money.
bignick
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:30 pm

Order is crucial, so is knowing the character of your guitar and amp. My amp has a bit of treble spike to tame, and my guitar (SG) needs some sustain. Otherwise I probably wouldn't need a pedal at all, if it weren't for the loud breakup volume of the amp...
CashWiley
Regular

Postby zero89 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:14 am

Ive just got the Line 6 Echo park, and it has some cool features, but i would not recomend it.

Ill give it 3 and a halft stars (out of 5)

I do have a problemt with the very famous Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, it raises WAY too much the volume when its on, so I cant go cleam without sounding incredibly loud after that.

Any ways to fix this problem?

Any help would be appreciated

Plus, i do want to have an ALL BOSS Pedal set
zero89
Regular

Postby jaybee » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:12 am

zero89 wrote:Ive just got the Line 6 Echo park, and it has some cool features, but i would not recomend it.

Ill give it 3 and a halft stars (out of 5)

I do have a problemt with the very famous Boss BD-2 Blues Driver, it raises WAY too much the volume when its on, so I cant go cleam without sounding incredibly loud after that.

Any ways to fix this problem?

Any help would be appreciated

Plus, i do want to have an ALL BOSS Pedal set

you should be able to "fix" this with the LEVEL control, as you turn up GAIN, you should turn down LEVEL unless you want a (semi-)clean boost, then it's just the opposite way: GAIN down, level up
jaybee
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues