FENDER M80 COMBO Solid State w spring reverb, tuby clean CH

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

FENDER M80 COMBO Solid State w spring reverb, tuby clean CH

Postby LesFromChicago » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:47 pm

I just came into possession of a Fender M-80 combo (amp and speaker in one cab).
Haven't had much opportunity to check it out but I really like it a lot already.
The overdrive channel does not work.
The clean channel sounds real good.
I like the sound of a the reverb.
AND the effects loop in jack can be used as sort of a '3rd channel', you can plug a guitar right into it, but then that 'channel' is dependant on the guitar's volume and tone controls, so this '3rd' channel might only be usefull in conjunction with the clean channel when the clean channel is NOT on very high volume. That will take some experimentation. I did not notice whether the reverb affects this '3rd' channel, probably it does not.
It has a head phone jack that I might try using to record directly into a PC with no mic.
I am eager to spend some time with this amp and test the permutations of settings and hook ups.
It does not bother me at all about the overdrive channel doesn't work. There is plenty good stuff to this amp without the o/d channel.
All I paid for this amp was the effort of carrying it for a mile or so , walking from the trash bin beside which I found it to where my car was at.
As I toted the amp (it does not weigh much) for that mile I held little hope that it would work at all, considering that most electronics found in the trash are just that, trash.
So the way I aquired this amp will make it a suitable companion for the Kay-type arch top I found in the trash a few years ago.

Anybody else here have or had a Fender M-80 combo?
Attachments
FENDER M-80 COMBO FRONT  rear VIEWs.JPG
Fender M-80 Combo
LesFromChicago
Regular

Re: FENDER M80 COMBO Solid State w spring reverb, tuby clean CH

Postby grady » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:56 pm

I had the M-80 2-12 Combo when they first came out.
Mine over-heated quite easily and I had to run a fan behind it to keep it cool.
The built-in Chorus was easily the best feature of that amp.
grady
Regular

Re: FENDER M80 COMBO Solid State w spring reverb, tuby clean CH

Postby bignick » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Those are a nice sounding clean up. I like the retro rug too.

I just bought my Dad a Fender Automatic SE combo in trade for a Samick Strat he has that I like. I love the Fender solid state amps...not as much as the classic tube ones though. :)
bignick
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues