Help

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Help

Postby Lightning Slick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm in a band, me on guitar, a friend on drums, and another friend singin. Anyways, I was wonderin how we could record some of our stuff, how much it might cost, and tips on actually recording. I'm used to only live playing, if that makes any difference.
Lightning Slick
Regular

Re: Help

Postby shaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:56 am

The cheapest way would probably be a cassette recorder (used to use one all the time before computers became more common, sure I'm not the only one). Or use your computer, a cheap mic and a free music program.

The easest thing I've found is a Zoom2, and I use it for everything. Nice sound quality, portable and easy to use. I like it because you don't have to be in front of a (noisy) computer to record things. And it's small, can use batteries so you can use it anywhere. Not the cheapest thing, but compaired to how much good mics (and up-grading soundcards), I thought it was the cheapest way to go to get a decent recording.
shaw
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:48 pm

You might be able to get by with a four track to record live (my preferred way, too), if you track the drums in stereo. If you get an 8-track like mine (the fostex mr8hd), you can do some stuff with bouncing, but only 4 tracks are live. If you want to do more with the drums, you'll need to move to a unit with 8 inputs or so. You can also do four tracks and move them to your pc from the mr8hd and mix in something like audacity or garageband.

If you're just recording rehearsals to listen back critically, my band always used a boombox in the room.

Demo type stuff will need a recorder/mixer unit (I think I paid about $300-350 for the mr8hd a few years ago), mics and cables. Figure $100/ea for the mics, plus some stands and cables...probably an easy grand to get the basic setup.

Only commenting on the setup I use, because it's what I know. I'm sure the guys who do more recording will have some better tips.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:44 pm

You guys have a computer sitting around?
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Derekslide » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:16 am

rustyslide wrote:You guys have a computer sitting around?
What's a computer?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:24 pm

Box with little man inside. You have to feed him bytes. Sometimes he doesn't drive very well and crashes. He will not respond to kindness so you must boot him up. I think his name is Redo, and he comes from a place called Start, and he keeps on trying to introduce himself, flashing up the greeting, "Redo from Start".
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:26 pm

maxx england wrote:Box with little man inside. You have to feed him bytes. Sometimes he doesn't drive very well and crashes. He will not respond to kindness so you must boot him up. I think his name is Redo, and he comes from a place called Start, and he keeps on trying to introduce himself, flashing up the greeting, "Redo from Start".
Wow man, What a weird post, specially from you.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:45 pm

maxx england wrote:Box with little man inside. You have to feed him bytes. Sometimes he doesn't drive very well and crashes. He will not respond to kindness so you must boot him up. I think his name is Redo, and he comes from a place called Start, and he keeps on trying to introduce himself, flashing up the greeting, "Redo from Start".

You should meet my friend Mac, he's much nicer. Greets you with a smile every time!
CashWiley
Regular

Postby songdog » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:07 pm

There are at least a dozen or more small portable recorders available on the market now that produce good quality results. Tascam, M-Audio, Line 6, Yamaha, Alesis, Korg, Marantz, Sony, etc. Varying levels of features come with them and somewhat determine their final price tag. These can be good if you just want to record, playback and analyze your performance. Some are even good enough for recording a demo cd.

If you want more editing capability then you would need a mixer of either the software or hardware variety and the most affordable route would be recording to a hard drive.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording