Last minute sets

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Last minute sets

Postby 1armbandit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:18 pm

Thought I would throw this in the Gigs section.
I'm getting pretty comfortable playing guitar at Church. I play with the harp rack and lead the singing as well.
Like I said I'm pretty comfortable now but a few weeks ago we had rehearsal on Wednesday and I found out my piano player wouldn't be there for Sunday. There are only myself, piano player, 15 year old guitar player and my wife (WGR) singing harmony. So we went with songs I could play fairly well.
Sunday morning an hour before service I got a call from the pastor that they were all sick and wouldn't make it. The pastors son is my guitar player and he can't drive.
That leaves me and the WGR. And I'll have to fill in for the pastor also. I grabbed the song binder and picked half a dozen more songs that I can play reasonably well and went with it.
Turned out to be a really good service. I didn't preach (much) mostly just played and sang and shared parts of my life. You know kind of "Don't tear off your arm because it sucks, then again it might take you somewhere you never would have gone, and that might not be so bad".
Thanks for the support everyone.
I need to focus on learning some blues but everytime I watch a Youtube or online leasson they go into finger picking. I'm afraid that is a long ways don't the road yet.

Thanks again everyone.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Last minute sets

Postby maxx england » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:33 pm

8) Do you ever go on the forums where they told you it can't be done? Mans's a musician or he ain't; if I have to, (and I hope it never comes to that) I'll press keys with my nose before I give up. :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:52 pm

You know Max I've thought about it. But then since I believe that I've been given a gift in the desire and the ability and the support to do this, those other people don't matter any more.

One word of encouragement here or at home erases every naysayer out there.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Aint it satisfying when you get put on the spot - and deliver?

Great stuff!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:34 pm

In hindsight I'm glad I didn't know ahead of time. The stress would have killed me. The piano player pointed out that I didn't have to coordinate music with anyone so I could intro and play, stop and start anyway I chose. And that's true. I can see myself someday on the street corner playing and singing all at my own pace.

Dan I have used your song on the Boz CD as inspiration, the way your voice projects without being a shout is great. I need to project more, put everything into it so to speak. When I do that is when stuff starts happening.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:52 am

Biggest tip I can give there is to relax when you sing - other than that, learning to sing from the diaphragm is the real secret to projecting. When you learn to do this, you can get a lot of vocal power without having to push too hard.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs