Bonfire Night gig pics...

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Bonfire Night gig pics...

Postby stumblin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:01 pm

Just in case anyone's interested, a mate took some photos on Saturday night. Here are a couple of them:
http://www.g7smy.dyndns.org/fatcat/images/IMG_6002.JPG
Me & DB

http://www.g7smy.dyndns.org/fatcat/images/IMG_6004.JPG
Me "singing".

http://www.g7smy.dyndns.org/fatcat/images/IMG_6001.JPG
DB

Anyhoo, we had a great night. It was especially good to see Our Mousey there too :)
stumblin
Regular

RE: Bonfire Night gig pics...

Postby mikedev » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:22 pm

Looks like another good night had by all!

Good to see you enjoying yourself, wish I could've heard it!

Mike
mikedev
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:34 pm

Looks like a good time!

Are those pictures of brewing systems on the wall behing you there?

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:02 pm

Great pics, Stumbles.

I see DB's got some fine art on his reso, eh? :)

Looks like a great time.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:05 pm

Yeah, looks like fun, all right!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby stumblin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:21 pm

Thanks guys, it really was a fun evening.
You might have noticed that I've taken a leaf out of some of you guy's books and started to kind of dress a little more formallly for gigs. Although I really hate all that "blues brothers" crap, I saw the hat and thought it looked too cool to pass up. The pinstripe jacket idea I took from Robert Johnson's studio portrait. I hope it's not too corny a look. Actually, that's kind of why I posted the pics - to see if anyone had any sartorial advice for me.
Bosco, that out-building at The Fat Cat used to be Kelham Island Brewery's primary production facility, then they got big and moved to a bigger plant up the road. There are indeed a great many photos of brewery gear in there.
BMcG, fine art? I guess you could say that yourself, DB and me share similar tastes in that line.
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Too bad nobody got a pic of me playing Saturday night in a suit and hat with a red rose on my lapel. :)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:06 pm

>Although I really hate all that "blues
>brothers" crap, I saw the hat and thought it looked too cool
>to pass up. The pinstripe jacket idea I took from Robert
>Johnson's studio portrait. I hope it's not too corny a look.
>Actually, that's kind of why I posted the pics - to see if
>anyone had any sartorial advice for me.

Great pics - looks like fun. Regarding threads, haha, Style over Substance, that's my motto. Nix the jeans. Nice jacket. A pinstripe jacket needs matching pants though. You also need a black t-shirt under that or a white shirt with suspenders. And two-tone shoes like Bottleneck John has. The steel looks great!
nizer
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Nice. Ever get south of Sheffield? Ever been to the Top Bell, Barton Under Needwood? And where you normally play Sats? I'm still up for a day playing racers and then listening to the good stuff on the night.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:47 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-05 AT 12:49 PM (EST)]Hey Andy: you look fine that way; with that beautiful golden hair,and your blues, you can dress any way that you want. Do you guys have used or 2nd hand clothing stores over there....? Over here in the U.S., we have Salvation Army, Saint Vincent de Paul, and "re-fashion" stores everywhere; they are great places to buy "blues clothes". You can get good quality hats,coats,overcoats,shirts,etc., for very little money, and in great condition. I got a buddy who does all his shopping there, and has the highest quality clothes of anybody I hang around with. I think good slacks,jackets,suspenders,hats,etc., look good on a blues guy. Comfortable fabrics,with plenty of room to move around in 'em is a big plus.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:19 pm

Cheers Bubba.
The jacket is a second-hand shop bargain. The titfer hurt my pocket some, but I think it was worth it.
Not sure that I really want to go for full-on formality though, it's just not likely to reflect my personality, or be comfortable to play in. Besides, I think British pub blues audiences are possibly a little less fashion-conscious, and thus more sartorially forgiving, than the impression I'm getting of their US counterparts.
But, you know, the image debate has cropped up several times on these pages over the last couple of years.
Now you know I've been paying attention :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:48 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-05 AT 05:54 PM (EST)]Andy: I agree with you that the jazzy formal look prob'ly isn't your style.... on the other hand,you have great lookin' hair (remindful of a certain ass-kickin' Texas bluesman with white hair),and some sort of style with the clothes may just enhance it,albeit not the formal style. It's also difficult to mess around with your look when you're playin' in front of people that know you. In general,some of the issue may come from your self concept: when you play in front of people,you are the product,and products can benefit from marketing. You have good songs,ability,style,blues appearance,and experience; experimenting with some of the other factors could be fun and useful. (Incidentally, I just got a black short sleeve button down "blues shirt",with a cheetah band goin' down each side. Whooooo-haaaaa!Initial reaction from my buddies: you look good Bubba!)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:09 am

I really hate all that "Blues Brothers" crap...

I have attended well over 100 professional blues shows in the last 10 years or so. In all of that time, I have never seen a professional bluesman wearing tennis shoes, denim jeans or a T-shirt...it just detracts from the final image no matter how good you can sing or play. Dressing up seems to be part and parcel of being a professional bluesman, or entertainer for that matter.

On the flip side, if your playing is confident and professional, no one is going to comment on your wardrobe. I surmise that players who worry excessively about over doing their wardrobe also lack confidence in their playing a/o stage presentation.

I have an EXTENSIVE stage wardrobe all purchased second hand at bargain stores. Hats, shirts, ties, vests, belts, slacks. In five years of gigging almost every weekend, I have yet to garner ONE negative comment about the way I dress or a single "Blues Bros" reference, even when playing for sloppy drunk punters half my age. On the contrary, nary a night goes by without getting several compliments on how sharp I look.

Today's fashions have gone too far in the other direction with even corporatons having a very casual dress attitude. This was brought to light recently when a good friend of mine's father passed away, aged 80. Out of 14 grandsons, not a single one owned a sportcoat or a suit for the funeral! Nada. And that my friends, is just a disgrace.

I say PROUDLY play your blues, PROUDLY wear your blues clothes and present the full tribute to legendary bluesmen that it was meant to be. Even though the Blues Brothers were only comedians, there's a hell of a lot of people that had never bothered to explore blues until those guys came along.

Andy- I'm with Nizer...The hat and jacket look great, the shirt and pants need a little work. :D

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:28 am

>Too bad nobody got a pic of me playing Saturday night in a
>suit and hat with a red rose on my lapel. :)
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
'N' Rico,you prob'ly woulda got more compliments if you hadn't left your Johnson hangin' out in front.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:49 am

>Today's fashions have gone too far in the other direction
>with even corporatons having a very casual dress attitude.
>This was brought to light recently when a good friend of
>mine's father passed away, aged 80. Out of 14 grandsons, not
>a single one owned a sportcoat or a suit for the funeral!
>Nada. And that my friends, is just a disgrace.

Amen to that Bosco. I work in the design field, all black turtlenecks and those clog-type shoes. I love to wear a sharp suit and tie out of a sense of defiance. I don't have to, in fact people think I'm weird. But all these guys walking around dressed like girls... well, it just bugs me. I remember my grandpa, who worked for the railroad, wearing black wool pants, suspenders, a white shirt, those arm strap things, had a moustache and smoked a pipe. Now he looked like a man.

>I say PROUDLY play your blues, PROUDLY wear your blues
>clothes and present the full tribute to legendary bluesmen
>that it was meant to be.

Right on. Those guys had STYLE. Okay, I know. It doesn't really matter. Whatever you're comfortable in, that's cool. But.... you did ask.
nizer
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs