Got another funky old guitar

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Got another funky old guitar

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:56 pm

My birthday was a couple weeks ago and I figured it was about time to treat myself to another guitar. After seeing a Tom Waits video a few months ago where he was playing an old Danelectro Convertible, I've been trying to find one. Fortunately I saw this one on eBay with a couple hours left on it. I put a $150 bid on it, expecting to get sniped at the last second. Ended up getting it for $125 +$25 shipping. Not bad. It wasn't converted, so I had to order a pickup for it, too, which I'll hopefully get put in today, then I need to clean it up a bit and put some heavier strings on it, but I'm very happy with it so far.

It's pretty beat up and someone covered it in a think, blue-grey paint at some point, then sanded most of it off the top, but it's funky. I'll probably leave the top like it is for now, but the back and sides may get stripped and refinished.

Sound-wise, unplugged it has a very banjo-y or reso-y tone to it. Kind of thin, but surprisingly loud given its size, what it's made out of, and the goofy bridge design. From what I've read, when plugged in, they sound like a Dano, but with a more open and jangly sound. It should suit me perfectly. It should feed back in glorious fashion.

I haven't taken any pictures of it, so I'll leave you with one of the auction pictures. Once I get the pickup in it, I'll take some.

guitarslim101
Regular

Re: Got another funky old guitar

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Pretty cool Slim good luck with it . It really has caricature
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:13 pm

It may look ugly to some but that looks beautiful to me. Soooo much potential.

I want a DANO real bad these days. Probably the same type, though I really like that new model...the squarish looking one.
bignick
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 pm

bignick wrote:I want a DANO real bad these days.

I've never even played a Dano (except for a Longhorn Bass) but I've always wanted a Dano for some reason. They are just damn cool.

Slim, I think it looks good as it is. Has some character!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:39 am

Whew. That is a dog ass ugly Dano. I wish I had seen that auction in time to snipe you.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:58 am

Well, 'tis mine now.

I got the pickup put in it at work today. It definitely sounds like a Dano, but has a little extra something. Gets some lovely feedback, too.

I don't have access to a decent digital camera right now, so sadly a webcam photo will have to do.

I'm definitely going to leave the finish like it is on the front, but I'm going to scrape the nasty primer off the back and see if the old faux woodgrain is still under there.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:15 am

Very cool. I've been kind of getting into funky old electrics lately, I like the Teisco-ish complete-lack-of-taste guitars for some reason. I think I would be tempted to refinish this, that finish is pretty far gone. Or at least give it a thin spray of nitro to protect the wood a little.

How does it sound?
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:38 am

I'm not sure it really needs any protection. The top and back are masonite with a layer of formica on them. Originally it should've looked like this:

Unplugged it has a pretty thin tone, not much sustain, kind of like a cheap, ladder-braced parlor guitar. But plugged in, you can tell it's a Dano, it has that signiture twang, but it has a really open jangle to it, too. Yes, those words don't mean much, but I don't really know how to describe it.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Don't, do not, never ever, paint that thing! It's perfect, an absolute baboon's backside in the face of "designerism". Love it. Come to Britain, give me a go on it :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:41 am

Love it! Also, happy birthday!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:11 am

Thanks Rusty. I've finally left the teen years behind. Still can't buy booze, though. But at least I have a fun guitar.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby DaveG » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Wow, that looks great! I love it.
DaveG
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues