My first vintage Fender amp!

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: My first vintage Fender amp!

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:05 am

I oughta find me one of those Champ 600's again. Damn, there's so much gear I want.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:50 am

Can't wait for some clips of this. I built (er... am building, DIY amps are never "done") a clone of the early widepanel Bassman. It's a great amp. You got a great deal on this one too, congrats.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby bignick » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 pm

I would like to get some clips up myself. Hopefully I can do it at a friend's as my comp isn't set up for that right now and he has nice mics.

I'm almost finished with the whole thing. There is one more 500volt cap that someone had installed in there for what should have been a 25v. lol I found all kinds of little weird stuff like that. I'm going to replace it with a 50v.

I have two other projects in the works for this now:

1) It is going to Blackface specs, including a Blackface bias circuit.
2) I have a Vintage Guitar mag that talks about building an attenuator for $85 from Mousser. I'm either going to build one of those as my first DIY project, or I'm going to build an Electro Harmonix LPB1 boost clone. Though I want build a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer also.

We had it cranked to 5 this weekend through my LP copy and my buddy's Melody Maker (with Lollar P90). Amazing. I wish I could get that tone all the time. Definitely the amp's sweet spot.

Got to dime my Princeton/Champ hybrid clone this weekend too. That was fun. I really need a new speaker for that one though. Currently have a Jensen MOD and I don't like it.
bignick
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:15 pm

A 500V cap is fine in a spot that calls for 25V. It's a minimum spec.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby bignick » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Why a 500V though? Is there a reason?

I was thinking he just had that laying around as I saw that in a few different places. It had a half cap job. Must have been replacing as they were blowing or something.
bignick
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Ooo, that looks nice. I really like the tone of those old Bassmans. Some day I'd like to get an old Bassman head and a matching 2x15 cab for it...just need room...and money.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Now is the time to buy them. I was damn lucky to get one at $275. I would have paid $500 for one and was prepared to.

As long as it is the normal Bassman and an early 70s model at the LATEST.

I can't wait to convert it to Blackface specs. Just have to buy the components. I'm also building a Electro Harmonix LPB1 clone to give her a little kick in the ass.
bignick
Regular

Postby Negotiator » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:28 pm

That's a nice amp you have there, friend. The bad news is you are probably hooked for life now.

I started buying vintage Fender Amps years ago.... Tweeds, Browns, Blackfaces, Drip Edge Silverfaces...... it's a labor of love I tell you.

I love everything about them. I love the way they look. I love the way they sound.... heck, I even love the way they smell when they heat up with all that baked in tone mojo.... I get all Fendery inside just thinking about it.

That said, if it's got tires, tubes or teats, it's probably going to give you trouble..... vintage amps are no exception.

I don't care, I still love them. Replace the cord with a three pronger and turn it up.... man o' man... now we're talkin.

I have been leaning towards the 6V6 variety, but the 6L6's are nice too. Of course there's always the EL34's and 84's. Slide a Telefunken or Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 in the appropriate tube socket and the results can be absolutely orgasmic... only it lasts longer.

Good on ya mate.... I think you're gonna love that thing.
Negotiator
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Wow I haven't posted on this thread since March of 2009! lol

Unfortunately my amp is now sitting in a closet and has been since then because we just had our baby and it is too loud for me to be playing right now. There is hardly any room for it in our house. :?
bignick
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues