Muddy Waters Recording Techniques

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Muddy Waters Recording Techniques

Postby Zaius » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:43 pm

I have a uni paper due very very soon, and i would greatly appreciate some help from the experienced members of the board here.

For a studio assignment, i have chosen to make a recording of "Walking by Myself", using some inspiration from Muddy Waters' "Got my Mojo Working" [from the 'Blues Guitar Experience', if anyone knows who plays harp on that recording please let me know].

What i basically need is a history lesson. What recording styles and what equipment would Muddy Waters usually use?
In my head i had assumed one take recording [i cant see Muddy overdubbing] and probably using nothing more than a 4 track [maybe, just maybe, an 8 track]
Would my assumptions be correct?

Thank you.
Zaius
Regular

Re: Muddy Waters Recording Techniques

Postby watertore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:48 pm

do a google on the chess record studio. They did it all live, in one room with minimual mics, tube boards, tape, tube/ribbon mics, low volumes, and no overdubs. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Muddy Waters Recording Techniques

Postby blueshome » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:22 am

Walter Horton played harp on the original "Walking" by Jimmie Rogers. The solo is a test piece for harp players. James Cotton played harp on the classic live version of "Mojo", but it was recorded so many times that without knowing more about the version you refer to the player could be any one of Muddy's many harpists.

Until the late 50's Chess records were recorded at Universal Studios in Chicago and this is where most of the greatest discs were cut. 2-track tape, tiny mixing console, live in the room. No overdubs, hence the multiple takes made of some recordings (I mean multiple! 20-30!). This was not a primitive environment, this studio was used to record the likes of Count Basie etc.

After that Chess had their own studio, info on which can easily be found as Walter says.
blueshome
Regular

Return to Recording