The right humidity

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

The right humidity

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:01 pm

So I live in the driest spot on the entire planet (or so it seems to me), and I've been getting a little bit worried about my guitars due to the low humidity. Especially with the dreaded summer approaching. What is the ideal humidity that acoustic instruments should have? Would it make sense to invest in a humidifier? I know some kids here who have there acoustic guitars laying around (none of them are of real good quality) and the necks are bowed, the frets are sharp and overall it looks like the guitars have gone through Hell and back. While I don't own any really expensive guitars, I still don't want any of my babies getting harmed from this hellacious heat. So would it be smart to invest in a humidifier? How much humidity should I set it to so that my guitars stay properly nourished?

TB, you say you live in "the Big Dry Ditch;" but have you ever been to Phoenix? We're already into the 90's here. This is ridiculous. I long for a grey, 35 degree, rainy Washington day. :cry:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: The right humidity

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:50 pm

Come to my flat, 2 x lefty guitars and by Christ, you'll be glad the heating's on.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Yeah Lefty, the "big dry ditch" really is that. We had some 80 degree days last week but this week barely hitting 70. I was quite pissed last week when it warmed up and I moved my pequin pepper plants that I had overwintered from inside the house to the backyard. Next day a front came through and the wind beat the crap out of them.

As for the humidity 'thang, when I first got here to Las Vegas the humidity or lack thereof did a number on a cheap old Fender acoustic. The neck reverse bowed just a tiny bit now it frets out at the 13th fret. Even after truss rod adjustments it won't come back. It's seen better days. All my other guitars are unaffected and I keep all of them in cases.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby titaniumslide » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Here in beautiful Minnesota the winters are cold and dry, so that's when I humidify. What I do is use a small room humidifier in my man cave that I set on low and just let it run. I alternate 4 guitars at a time that are out of their cases for a day or two and then switch them out. This works for me and it gives me a chance to play a guitar that is usually in it's case. I don't know what the relitive humidity is, but fret sprout is gone from electrics and acoustic guitars play better.
Scott
titaniumslide
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:15 pm

I use a humidifier in the apartment with a hygrometer. I set it to 45% and just fill it all winter. All my guitars are kept out of the case; cased guitars don't get played.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby cheap tequila » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:11 am

Get a humidifier. 40-50RH is good nuff for guitars.
Those AZ heat almost melt my flipflop the last time I was there.
cheap tequila
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues