Future Forum Software Dev/Discussion

A place for the owners and managers of Big Road Blues to make general announcements to the members.

Future Forum Software Dev/Discussion

Postby rustyslide » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Alright, I really fear that we're going to increasingly have problems due to how widespread PHPBB (the current software) is. I also really dislike how hard it is to modify it.

Forums aren't particularly complex, so I'm going to write one. Other custom-forum-software forums I'm on have a much lower amount of spam, and I can implement all of the features I want from the get-go. The old forum will be locked and linked to. If I can find the hashing algorithm that PHPBB uses, I will migrate users over.

This will the dumping ground for my plans.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Re: Future Forum Software Dev/Discussion

Postby rustyslide » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Feature decisions:
There will be no attachments. Get your own website or use flickr / box.net / soundclick / youtube, etc. to host content.

There will be sticky threads and threads that don't bump when replied to - these will be mod set. The latter is for flame-war-likely threads.

There will be no themes. The site will look how it looks.

BBCode will be supported (I think).

There will be smilies, that use there own syntax so you can write a list item "8)" without getting an effing smiley. 8)

New users will have annoying restrictions/hoops to jump through. No signatures until a certain threshold is reached. ReCaptcha for accessible captchas. http://recaptcha.net/

Users of a certain age with no posts will be auto-pruned.

Admins may mark certain users "Trolls", which will have interesting effects.
Admins may mark certain users "Spammers", which will have interesting effects.
Admins may mark certain users "Possible Spammers", which will have subtle effects.

You will be able to quote multiple posts.

There will be no f'ing polls. Poles are OK (if people from Poland are Poles, are people from Holland Holes?).

We will store data about:
users
forums
threads
syntax replacement (BBCode, smilies, etc)
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby zhyla » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:28 pm

A few thoughts...

- A good search facility (possibly just integrate Google search).
- Maybe allow regular users to hint that a user is spam. Enough hints and the sig/URL/avatar/etc are disabled.
- Nice integration of youtube and soundclick (I believe both can be done with bbcode, but it's nice to have buttons for the less technically inclined).
- Just a thought... maybe as part of the user profile have an "inventory" section where you can list all the various guitars, amps, etc we own. And maybe some flags for whether an item is open for sale or trade. It could be kind of fun to generate a listing of all the "up for grabs" equipment everyone has.
- The PM system in phpbb needs a "reply to all" (maybe I just don't know how).
- I wonder if a bayesian filter could help with the spam problem? If it scores high enough as spam a bunch of { captcha, challenge question, etc } kick in. Seeding the filter would be the hard part.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:41 pm

rustyslide wrote:Users of a certain age with no posts will be auto-pruned.

Sounds painful! :wha:
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:34 pm

As long as I don't have to do a Captcha to post, sounds great.

And thanks Rusty, you've been doing a great job keeping it together...it's appreciated.
Last edited by allanlummox on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Slim » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:35 pm

Could you make it where logging on automatically made me play better??? LOL!
Slim
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:43 pm

zhyla wrote:- Just a thought... maybe as part of the user profile have an "inventory" section where you can list all the various guitars, amps, etc we own. And maybe some flags for whether an item is open for sale or trade. It could be kind of fun to generate a listing of all the "up for grabs" equipment everyone has.

Well. We'd certainly be able to do that, if there's enough interest. I'd rather just have a 'buy and sell your crap' forum and be done with it.

- The PM system in phpbb needs a "reply to all" (maybe I just don't know how).
- I wonder if a bayesian filter could help with the spam problem? If it scores high enough as spam a bunch of { captcha, challenge question, etc } kick in. Seeding the filter would be the hard part.

I'm not sure I'd have a PM system. It wouldn't be that hard to do; but everyone already has to have email to sign up; just have the forum email members.

I think a human engineering solution (per your suggestion of user complaints) will work well enough to not require hard-to-write and lengthy algorithms.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:48 am

I'd rather not have PMs. PMs are a major pain.
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:58 am

Can we have a facility for old Luddites like me to post pictures directly from our own confusers, rather that jump through various hoops?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:52 pm

Takes a lot more on-site storage capacity and bandwidth.

I don't think Luddites use computers.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:50 pm

maxx england wrote:Can we have a facility for old Luddites like me to post pictures directly from our own confusers, rather that jump through various hoops?

You can do that with the current system; if I go through with this (just found an anti-spam mod for this software that I'm going to look into first), you're going to have to figure out flickr.com or photobucket or pbase or webshots or any one of a dozen hosting sites.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby dcblues » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm

I tried to respond to the other discussion about this and got a "forum locked" message. I would like to be part of the new forum, with this username.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:48 pm

dcblues wrote:I tried to respond to the other discussion about this and got a "forum locked" message. I would like to be part of the new forum, with this username.
Yeah, that happened to me as well, dcb. Maybe it's a purge of harpers,lol. Rustyslide, can you get me switched..?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Purging the harpers? With friends like that, who needs enemas?
ricochet
Regular

Postby DaveG » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

dcblues wrote:I tried to respond to the other discussion about this and got a "forum locked" message. I would like to be part of the new forum, with this username.

I had the same problem when I tried to access it through the "show unread posts" area. Then I noticed that the announcment was showing up as being in the "Cheap Seats" forum. When I went directly to another forum that you have to register to see the announcment showed up and it wasn't locked. Just go directly to forums and pick any other one except "Cheap Seats" and try that.
DaveG
Regular

Next

Return to Announcements