Maybe

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Maybe

Postby lorilu » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:10 pm

I might have found a band. I met these guys last week and they were trying out a new drummer, good friend of the bass player(they have a metal band together and he is definitely a metal drummer). We all have kept in touch and the guitar player bandleader wants me to try out. He is a quirky genius kind a guy, very talented and he has some complicated stuff which I find really interesting. A drummer would have to be very versatile (so exciting). I asked him what he was looking for since he seems to have problems w drummers. He's looking for timing and dynamics. Awesome. The problem would be the friendship between the bass player and drummer and whether the bass player leaves. He is really good and also easy to get along with as well as the perfect manager for the band. The guitar player, if you can believe this, is a bit egocentric and not easy to get along with (I know, I couldn't believe it either!). If the bass player stays, and the drummer withdraws on his own (he's getting sick of the guitar player), I would give it a shot. I LIKE the music. We'll see, at least I'm getting closer to what I'm looking for.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Maybe

Postby allanlummox » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:14 pm

"The guitar player, if you can believe this, is a bit egocentric and not easy to get along with (I know, I couldn't believe it either!)".

You've GOT to be kidding us. The dulcet tones of the Guitar induce the most gentle and humble of attitudes amongst those inclined to perform thusly.

Nah.
Anyway, best of luck and have a ball.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:10 am

Thank you kindly. That's it - it must be the tones as the strings are strummed and picked that does that weird thing to you all. You know people are always "pickin" on drummers so turnabout's just fair play.
lorilu
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:41 pm

Go in and bang 'em, them drums that is. Working with people is an art. Learn the person first before making any suggestions. Some people are just mal adjusted. I tend to think about what they are doing that bothers me. Is it a personal attack on me or is the person just mad at the world. I hate when someone is having a bad home life and drags it into work or into the band. Just 'cause their spouse is a louse doesn't give them the right to bomb on me. I'm very vocal in a funny way. I like to hear people laugh. I am the youngest child with two older sisters. I have always been the clown. It's what us baby siblings do. Learn who the guitarist is, what makes him tick. I have always enjoyed people bringing their instruments and adding to the music. There have been a few times when the person was so bad at it that I had to ask them to stop. I wasn't ignorant because I am better than they are, just kindly asked them to not play because they are not adding to the groove. Why are males such ego idiots? Harmony gets things understood and done much better than egos. Pride is a good thing but it is also a dangerous thing. Good luck. Bite your tounge and bang your drum.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:55 pm

Excelllent advice, BD. As you know, I have difficulties in holding my tongue. Although with this guitar player you really wouldn't be able to get a word in anyway and he gets real defensive if you ever did. The other guys are great but I think they have decided to leave the guitar player to his own devices as he's just too difficult. He wants to use something that he programs so he has no need for any other musicians. So back to the drawing board for now. It's fine as I'm not as free to play anytime I want for probably another year. I readjusted my kit and I am really happy with it and am trying out this new book that has some real funky syncopated grooves and fills all together. It's to increase independence and movement around the kit. Plus, maybe I will learn the fine art of band dynamics.

I know about the little brother thing. I lost my little brother 14 years ago and he was one of the funniest, sweetest most charming guys you could know. He was the youngest with 2 older sisters so he was the clown and very, very talented in music. And art and acting. He was just a really great person and his death made me change my life for the better. What other choice was there?
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:59 am

The guitar player called again when I wasn't here and I've been on the computer so calls don't really go through. I don't know, without the bass player to balance him out he's pretty weird and paranoid. I'm hearing you saying "just play" and I may do that. I'm gonna call the bass player and see what's been happening. Thanks for the really good advice.
lorilu
Regular

Return to About Gigs