tele or strat???I'm confused

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

tele or strat???I'm confused

Postby multisounds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:54 am

HI folks,

Guys, girls, guys!!!!???? I'm totally confused about chosing which electric guitar to buy??? So here's the story. I want to buy a guitar that does "everything and everysound" ever made in this world and years to come!! LOL. My style is abit of everything, jazz, blues, rock, country, reggae, folk etc etc. But I'm no 100% metal head although would like to have that option from time to time.

So to make life easier I've written off Gibson and other brands and my research as wittled it down to a Fender brand. And the two guitars I have in mind are;
1/ Fender Telecaster (USA standard, Deluxe, or custom).
2/Fender stratacaster (USA standard, deluxe or custom).

So which one guys?????

I once read that the "god of all guitars" is A TELECASTER and have probably upset alot of people by saying that. But others say a Strat will be the most versatile guitar instrument of all????Help me out as I'm about to get either one of those in 2 weeks time!! Please just say tele or strat based on "musical sound versatility" rather than biased view. And I really appreciate the opinions on this site as I have made choices in the past based on people's point of view from here. Oh btw, please don't suggest another guitar brand as it will totally confuse me more-but if you have to-you have to-lol

cheers
Multi :D
multisounds
Regular

Re: tele or strat???I'm confused

Postby TheDude » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:56 am

Tele or Strat, that could open up a can of worms right there!

They're both nice allrounders, but still different. You'll never get that clucky chicken-picking sound for 100% with a Strat. Then again you can't get those sweet out-of-phase Strat sounds with a Tele.

To me the absolute best allrounder would be a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge. That would be my "jack-of-all-trades".
TheDude
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:15 pm

I would go with a Tele deluxe or Custom or even a tele Thinline. If you are doing some Jazz you will want something with humbuckers. The thinline with humbuckers gives you a fatter semi-hollow sound along with the fatness of the humbucker. The single coil pickups on the Fenders while they are great for somethings are pretty thin sounding by nature. They are most likely too thin sounding for Jazz.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:07 pm

I'd argue with that, I use a Japanese reissue Strat through a Phoenix mosfet amp, (1/2 valve, 1/2 solid state) and it'll give me anywhere from laser cutting thin to so woolly and fat that it sounds like a loud thing being played 3 rooms away.

Multi, I think you need to think about the guitar and the amp you'll be using as a matched pair. This same guitar through the solid state Marshalls in the rehearsal room we use is ordinary, through the Phoenix it's so much better I can't begin to describe it. The difference is so big, you could hardly get your hand around it :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby titaniumslide » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:08 pm

I agree with Maxx about matching the guitar and amp. There are always exceptions but, a quality tube amp will make your guitars sound better. As far as a guitar goes I would choose a Telecaster for it's versitility, however it is you that will make all of the sounds of those individual styles. I guess what I mean to say is that it will be your touch that will make the guitar sound how you want. I hope this makes sense to you.
Scott
titaniumslide
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:01 pm

multisounds wrote:HI folks,

Guys, girls, guys!!!!???? I'm totally confused about chosing which electric guitar to buy??? So here's the story. I want to buy a guitar that does "everything and everysound" ever made in this world and years to come!! LOL. My style is abit of everything, jazz, blues, rock, country, reggae, folk etc etc. But I'm no 100% metal head although would like to have that option from time to time.

So to make life easier I've written off Gibson and other brands and my research as wittled it down to a Fender brand. And the two guitars I have in mind are;
1/ Fender Telecaster (USA standard, Deluxe, or custom).
2/Fender stratacaster (USA standard, deluxe or custom).

So which one guys?????

I once read that the "god of all guitars" is A TELECASTER and have probably upset alot of people by saying that. But others say a Strat will be the most versatile guitar instrument of all????Help me out as I'm about to get either one of those in 2 weeks time!! Please just say tele or strat based on "musical sound versatility" rather than biased view. And I really appreciate the opinions on this site as I have made choices in the past based on people's point of view from here. Oh btw, please don't suggest another guitar brand as it will totally confuse me more-but if you have to-you have to-lol

cheers
Multi :D

Neither one does "everything" as you ask; that's why they both still exist.
Honestly, you'd have to try both and choose for yourself.
I could fill reams of paper with testimonials of praise from friends - for either guitar.
I own both Strats and Teles. There is some overlap, but there are areas that one covers and the other cannot.
Which areas are more important is entirely subjective.
Try 'em both and choose...

pEAcE,

jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:33 pm

The closest guitar you're going to get to a guitar that does "everything and every sound ever made in this world and years to come!!"
is a ES-335.
The 335 is the most versatile guitar in the World but, even it won't sound like a Strat or a Tele.
The best thing to do is to buy very good guitars. One of each.

Unless you want to get one of those Line6 Variax pieces of crap.
grady
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:49 pm

I have to say upfront, I'm a diehard tele fan. I don't like strats at all.

That being said, I think a strat is probably more versatile.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby goldbrick » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:58 pm

I play both , I prefer Tele's cause of the better bridge for palm muting but strats are more versatile
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Troubleman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:50 pm

grady wrote:The closest guitar you're going to get to a guitar that does "everything and every sound ever made in this world and years to come!!"
is a ES-335.
The 335 is the most versatile guitar in the World but, even it won't sound like a Strat or a Tele.
The best thing to do is to buy very good guitars. One of each.

Unless you want to get one of those Line6 Variax pieces of crap.

I can't believe he said that...
I can't believe it
He's dead-on accurate, but I can't believe he said it.
I thought I was the only one who thought the Variax was a total POS....
Grady you never cease to amaze me...

pEAcE,

jb
Troubleman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:17 pm

I absolutely agree about the ES-335 (or clones thereof) being the most versatile.
ricochet
Regular

Postby multisounds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 pm

is a ES-335.

Hi Grady,

Oh thx, just as I've written off Gibson now you've put doubt in my mind again-LOL. But neverhteless, point taken and gotta weigh things up again-uhuhuhuhuhuhuh?

cheers
Multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby multisounds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 pm

I absolutely agree about the ES-335

Hi Rico,

Once again if you're agreeing with Grady there must be something about 335 series that are good for all occasions. Now I'm really baffled-ROFL :lol:

But perhaps you guys experience counts towards my decision making-uhuhuhuhuh, I said don't mention another brand-LOL

cheers
Multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby multisounds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:03 pm

He's dead-on accurate, but I can't believe he said it.

Hi Jb,

Well I know you guys are pointing towards 335, but they're more expensive! But I'll have to give it some consideration now :oops:

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby multisounds » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:10 pm

Strat with a humbucker in the bridge.

Hi dude,

Ok I get the picture. A strat with hum bridge pick up modification sounds good to me and I'll seriously consider this idea. Oh btw, how much do you think it might cost if I tell them to replace single coil??? I'm an aussie so whatever currency you say can be converted here. I've never modified anything so hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar