Bluesboy Jag at IBC 2009

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Bluesboy Jag at IBC 2009

Postby jag » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:23 am

international blues challenge
Current mood: excited
Category: Music

Tough competition all around. So far I've seen everything from a 9 year old fronting a full band to a 70 year old solo act. I played at the Pig on Beale last night that featured several acts and duos. Some screamin' slide, intricate fingerpicking, upright bass, banjo, dobro and one man bands. There are a total of 160 acts competing in the band and solo/duo categories. Each band gets a 25 minute set two nights in a row. The winners compete in the finals on Saturday. Memphis and Beale street (which some people consider the home of the blues) is busy this time every year with thousands of blues fans from all over the world checkin out the new talent. My set went well, even with the bass drum slipping away as I banged on it. I kept scooting my chair up closer to it throughout my set. My Stella 4 string tenor guitar came through like a champ. I bought it about 3 weeks ago in Hot Springs Ar. It had nasty rusted strings and frozen tuners. I knew that if I replaced the strings and the tuners that it would be a great blues machine and as it turns out, I was right. Here are the songs I played: 1. Skinny Woman ( RL Burnside) 2. Drop Down (original) 3. Real Gone Gal (John Lee Hooker) 4. My Home Town ( original) 5. Catfish Blues (Muddy waters) 6. Don't Do That (original) The crowd seemed to enjoy it and I sold several CDs throughout the weekend. Tonight is day 2 of the competition, I'll post another blog with results from that performance. Thanks to everyone that came to Memphis to support this great event. Bluesboy Jag
jag
Regular

Re: Bluesboy Jag at IBC 2009

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:54 pm

That's great, Jag!
ricochet
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:01 pm

good to hear jag! tell us more.....
jbone1
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Definitely tell us more. I competed there in 2006 and 2008. Had a great time but didn't make it to the finals.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs