Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 pm

Anybody out there blown any harp thru the new Princeton?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue

Postby watertore » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:51 pm

I bought one a few months ago. Everything with electric guitar on my site uses it. I love the amp. I haven't blown harp through it. All I have in the way of possible harp mics are a shure 57 and a ribbon. If you like later today I will blow something through it and post it. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:16 pm

walter, if it's a tube amp, you'll need a low to high z adapter between that sm57 and the amp. otherwise the signal will be very weak.
jbone1
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:58 pm

watertore wrote:I bought one a few months ago. Everything with electric guitar on my site uses it. I love the amp. I haven't blown harp through it. All I have in the way of possible harp mics are a shure 57 and a ribbon. If you like later today I will blow something through it and post it. Walter
Walter, did you buy yours new or used? Yeah, I'll take a byte..you bet.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:47 pm

hi bubba: I am getting ready to start the RPM Challenge tommorow- I plan on recording 28 or more cds in the month of Feb. I am getting all my gear tuned for quick recording, so I didn't have much time to tweak with the amp. I did 2 mp3's one with a bit more treble than the other. I didn't add any post production eq or reverb. What you hear is pure amp. Here is a link to them. This was my first time running a harp through an amp in 30 years! I am sure if I spent more time tweaking the controls the amp would sound better. Also that 57 mic picked up the harp hitting it and my breath. I would go to a music store and try one. I bought mine new from sweetwater music-no shipping- no tax.Anyway, here you go.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=867098
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:08 pm

Muchas gracias para los tuno-citos Walter, lol! Really hard to get a idea of what the amp will do when pushed. I don't own a 15-watt harp amp, and I've always wanted one. They're a great size for small-club giggin'. My two harp amps are a 5-watt and a 30-watt. The 30 works fine for giggin', but it's heavier than a Princeton. The Princetons are pricey, new or used, though, but I love the look of those Fender classic amps. I passed a deal on an old 60's Ampeg ReverbRocket that sounded great blowin' my harp through it, for about $450, and that was probably a mistake. I think those things were about 18 watts and absolutely radiated their mojo. The accordian jack circuit was great for harp. With the economy tankin' nationwide I've been tryin' to think like a dumpster diver, hopin' people start dumpin' that old stuff cheap.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:47 pm

good luck on the harp amp search! I wish I could help you out, but I am not the least interested in blowing through an amp and thus know nothing about it, other than to say go to a guitar center. they always have a ton of amps to try out. My days of going through an amp were so long ago, what little I remember is practically gone. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:46 am

A few years back there was a harp amp shoot out with the results posted on the www. I can't find the page now so it may not be available anymore. Next to the Fender Bassman, the Princeton Reverb was just about everybody's favorite for that dirty Little Walter-like sound. Of course it was an original Princeton, not the reissue. I'd be interested in feedback on the Princeton reissue too.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:02 pm

for the money and size/weight issues,a pro junior makes more sense to me as a 15 watt option.plus i don't use reverb anyway.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:15 pm

bottleneck wrote:for the money and size/weight issues,a pro junior makes more sense to me as a 15 watt option.plus i don't use reverb anyway.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
I don't use reverb either, and you're probably right about the relative value of the two amps, but there's always a price to be paid for "cool" in the equipment world. I don't like the hum of the Pro Jr., but that may be curable, and mebbe the Princeton hums too. The Princeton's pricey, no doubt. Pro Jr.s can be had pretty cheap on the used market, and there's alot of them out there.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:28 am

jeffl wrote:
there's always a price to be paid for "cool" in the equipment world. [/quote]

bring it to the gig bungee corded to the back of a 1970 BMW R/75/5,then don't worry about cool.being that cool can be a burden,haha.

i hear you though.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:26 pm

And luckily for harpers there's another "cool" when it comes to amps, which entails finding some old ratty tube amp at a garage sale for $50.00 that puts out that good ol' busted up tone. If it's got the "cool" look and the right sound then who cares who made it...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:40 am

true,that's what i have three danelectro amps for!

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Return to Blues Harp