how many strings does a good bass player need?

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Re: how many strings does a good bass player need?

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:01 pm

I posted my thing twice and this is me trying to get out of the second time.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:08 pm

I guess my comments really stirred up things. My apologies for it. I think I'll just not post anything else for a while & just go back to reading posts. Guitar Players that think they know how to play bass is the real problem. I'm not a guitar play, I'm a bass player that dabbles around the house on guitar. I DON'T CLAIM TO BE A GUITAR PLAYER ALSO. Again, sorry if I caused a spat on the best forum that I read daily.
So long for now,
Bob :oops: :cry: :oops:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:17 pm

Bob Holland, you didn't cause any stir. I reread your posts and they are fine. To each their own. That metal guitar player got ticked off over nothing. I suspect immaturity myself, his language hinted of such. He said he was going back to metal guitar boards and will leave us alone and that's best for everyone. Don't stop posting.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby leftieray » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:43 pm

hear hear Big Daddy, A band is a band all part equal, a good guitarist doesn't make a good band nor does a tight rhythm section. It takes all players to work together. Its amazing how a posting can go off tangent, but that's ok, there has been some good points. Saw Jeff Beck last night in Melbourne Australia great show his bass player Tal Wilkenfeld was fantastic, a quality instrument with only four strings. :D
leftieray
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 am

She looks good too. I'm getting back with the Rockits to work up our old tunes for recording. The guitar player is good but does not have the finess Skinny has. I do realize that a band is the total of the sum, the players. A great guitar player can make up a big portion of the band at least to the listener. I wanted Skinny to come in on the recordings but he wanted to change the songs completely. That would not do so I talked with the old band and they would love to. The old band has a much better singer. This kid is like 29 years old and can sing the blues. As a blues band the Rockits are a good choice, as a bar band Skinny is the better choice. Like I said else where, I have the best of both worlds. I want to create a blues record not a rock record.
Yes, a great guitarist can make an average rythym sections sound good but a great rythym section can't do much for an average guitarist. I believe that because I have heard and been in those situations. Just my opinion based on my experience.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:57 pm

Listen. I said I was done, but I'll explain what my point was, since I was putting it over poorly. It's not that playing a laid-back pocket style is bad AT ALL. I have a problem when your band tells you to play that way. If you play good bass, nobody should be telling you how to play. If they don't like the way you play, you shouldn't be in that band. Period. I'm not saying I have a massive ego that needs to be assuaged by having me in the spotlight, far from it. If you knew me, you'd know I'm a pretty humble guy.

I didn't insult you personally, though you seem to be taking offense as if I did. Please do not insult me, either. I am neither a metal guitarist nor am I immature in the least. Your reading comprehension skills may not be as adequate as you believe.

I claim to be a guitarist AND a bass player. Not a guitar player who plays bass now and again. I played professionally in a band for six years, on bass, it was my main instrument and I hardly kept my guitar chops through those years. And I'm extremely happy for that, because I can play the bass as a bass and guitar as a guitar, or more accurately, and indeed the basis of my original point, I hope my playing transcends the perceived limitations of both to a degree.

Anyway, I hope that closes the chapter on this unintended string of miscommunications.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby Hublocker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:02 pm

You could do pretty good with three if you had to.
Hublocker
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom