Favorite Band "Uniforms"

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Re: Favorite Band "Uniforms"

Postby jaybee » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:50 am

Bournio wrote:I'm terrible at lyrics... I'm not shy about that fact!

the concept 'writing' has been invented for people like you and me, Bournio

I have exactly the same problem, can't seem to memorise more than 4 lyrics at a given time, and I never know up front which ones I'll be struggling with... so I always have the cheat sheet ready. I don't have to 'read' the whole text though, it's always the first (couple of) word(s) that seem to go missing (kind of like how a PC deletes things, no?), so when I get those I'm OK for the rest of the chorus.

I usually print them out gauge 16 or more (depending on length of song: 1 page per song max) and try to put them somewhere "out of the way" - depending on the setting...

I reckon it's better to have a cheat sheet and make it to the finish without problems, than no cheat sheet and singing "mumblemumblemuuuumble mumble mum-LIFE" away from the mic so people won't hear I forgot the words 8)

I also find that just HAVING it there works... sometimes I forget to turn the pages and I do fine, but take it away and BINGO!!! instant memory loss :roll:
jaybee
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:50 am

A thing I use sometimes when playing is chromed elasticated armbands to hold the shirtsleeves up. I't not an affectation, if the rehearsal room we use is cold, you still have have warm arms & hands without the sleeves snagging or brushing anything. In front of an audience it just gives a little visual difference.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:10 pm

I find that when I play songs that I know the music to really well, I always forget the words. But if I listen to the song I can sing along with all the words. It's just when I sit down that I go blank.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:09 am

leftyguitarman wrote:I find that when I play songs that I know the music to really well, I always forget the words. But if I listen to the song I can sing along with all the words. It's just when I sit down that I go blank.

that's because of what I call the split second delay: when you sing along, you actually hear the artist before you start, so you kind of "work with a souffleur" (old theater 'trick' - sorry don't know the English word). When your "souffleur" isn't there, you're lost - well so am I, I have the same.

I even suffer from this playing: I couldn't memorise a solo if my life depended on it, although I'm technically good enough to play it AND I could "play along" with it... good thing I don't want to play in a "like-the-record-cover band" or tribute band :roll:

oh btw, to stay on topic: last band "uniform" was a T-shirt with guitar print, a white/black striped shirt and leather pants... (YES it was a rock gig :roll: 8) )
jaybee
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:38 am

Band uniforms? Can't go past the Monks!

jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bandman77 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:25 pm

I personally love the marching band uniforms that the USC Trojans wear. They have a really clean look, and their band performs amazingly as well!
bandman77
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:15 pm

When I went to see Charlie Parr (a Piedmont style blues singer) a coupla weeks ago I noticed that he dressed in somewhat of a woodsman's attire; Jeans,lug sole boots, plaid shirt, knit cap. The college aged and 20-something crowd was all dressed nearly the same; mismatched clothing, sweaters, woolen pants, odd socks, big boots, scarves, and a great collage of interesting hats and caps. A homogenous group, in a diverse sort of way, if that makes any sense. Charlie's mother-in-law, whom I'd never met, jumped in on our table 'cuz "you're the only other grey-haired distinguished looking people" in the club. I think she was surprised that older people would know of Charlie. There's probably more of us than she knows. I jus' don't dress like him, most of the time. My favorite giggin' outfit for playin' harp is a black suitcoat over a black shirt with two big leopard-skin panels vertically down the front and a pair of jeans. I never wear sunglasses unless the lights are too bright, and I never wear a cap or fedora, since I prefer to show off the slicked back hair look.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:31 pm

jeffl wrote: I prefer to show off the slicked back hair look.

So do I. Just that mine's slicked right of the top of my head.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:43 am

hahaha I don't have that problem yet... I'm probably gonna just cut my hair when it starts going...
Bournio
Regular

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:14 pm

When I play with our Christian blues band this is what we wear,
From Harps to Halos 005.jpg
Attachments
From Harps to Halos 006.jpg
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:34 pm

P1010061.JPG
P1010060-1.JPG
P1010058.JPG
OH ,and we all have full length leather coats when we show up, only when its cold out. It kinda opens some eyes. The old folks just give you that stare. The young people really like the look. Comments like , Man you guys are hooked up! We have our own van to that was donated to us. My buddy Jim and I did the graff. on it.
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Pastor, you guys look like you have a good time. Us older grey-haired guys are lucky to be playin' the blues, where "old & grey" is way more accepted than in rock & roll. It's odd, but when I see some of these old fossil-rockers out there I look at their pics and sometimes think that they look old and grey and ridiculous, especially if they're still hoppin' around on stage like a buncha 20 somethings. I don't get that same feelin' when I see older blues guys.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:13 pm

Yeah, Angus Young is pretty funny in his Buster Brown uniform, with his fishbelly white legs and varicose veins.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:17 pm

At some point I guess yer better off not bein' able to see the musicians, at least with the rockers. The years are not kind to most of us... we were better lookin' when we were 25 or 30 years old. There's a few guys who look better when they're older, but not many.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:42 pm

jeffl wrote:At some point I guess yer better off not bein' able to see the musicians, at least with the rockers. The years are not kind to most of us... we were better lookin' when we were 25 or 30 years old. There's a few guys who look better when they're older, but not many.

We played a charity gig (foot of the bill) and the headline rock act was a little bit scary, some bloke older than me, shaved and oiled body, off-the-hip tight jeans, trying to look like he did 30 years ago, and looking 20 years older than he was as a result. Yeeeuuuugghhhhh!
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to About Gigs