New National!

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New National!

Postby Lawson » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:38 am

This one just came out the other day at NAMM. Its called the Reissue W series Triolian. They are supposed to go for about 2300USD.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x153 ... G_1958.jpg
Lawson
Regular

Re: New National!

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:10 am

If they painted the tailpiece to match I'd like it a lot more. That tailpiece sticks out like a sore thumb. And $2300? A little too much. Of course I've never played it so I wouldn't know if it's worth it or not.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby OldWailer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:18 am

I gotta have one of those--then it will match my refigerator!
OldWailer
Regular

Postby farmslave » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:25 pm

I'd take that sweetheart in a flash! I think it looks great. I've never been one to care what a guitar looks like, looks don't have anything to do with how it plays. I bet it plays sweet! That's what is important to me. Not the greatest tuners on this Reso though. I have them on my National EN. Perhaps they made some changes. But I could live with them....
farmslave
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 pm

That's my next reso. 2300 is the MSRP, will probably be around 18-1900 you think?

I don't know what the typical markdown is on msrp or the %age
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:12 pm

Street price is usually 80% list. Depends on the manufacturer/product type though. With some companies the list price is the street price (Mesa Boogie and Apple spring to mind).
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:27 pm

You can get a bit below Apple's, but it involves filling out obnoxious rebate coupons, mailing them and waiting for months.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Lawson » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:46 pm

They'll probably sell for about the same as the Delphi.
Has anyone heard anything about when they go on sale.
Lawson
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:39 pm

Damn, I need cash :blink:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Sheb Whitebred » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Some time back, I sold my National RadioTone and ended up buying 3 Republic guitars for about what I sold the RadioTone. I've been more than happy with them, although I still have regrets about selling the RadioTone. I've had it in my head that someday I'll own a National again, even though none of their current models really inspired much guitar lust in me. This new one does. The only thing that would make it an absolute no brainer is an ebony fret board.

My guess is that this will be priced higher than the Delphi, which I consider a bit overpriced as is.
Sheb Whitebred
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Sheb Whitebred wrote:Some time back, I sold my National RadioTone and ended up buying 3 Republic guitars for about what I sold the RadioTone. I've been more than happy with them, although I still have regrets about selling the RadioTone. I've had it in my head that someday I'll own a National again, even though none of their current models really inspired much guitar lust in me. This new one does. The only thing that would make it an absolute no brainer is an ebony fret board.

My guess is that this will be priced higher than the Delphi, which I consider a bit overpriced as is.

Yeah I've sold a few that I regret selling. I will get that triolian though. They are overpriced but it will be nice to buy something and not have to work on it, like the republics. Not bashing Frank, but there's no excuse for a mushroom inside that is bouncing around and some of the other issues I've seen. On one of mine, the truss rod is bent inside such that it pushed up the 1st fret on the fretboard and cracked it. I had to fix that. But yeah, National if you can afford it. I won't not buy one because it's a few hundred over what I think it is. I'll get one no matter what. Even if I have to sell krank to school kids :evil:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:47 pm

Triolian demo here:

Go to the 2:58 mark...

wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28 pm

i guess with real nationals it is easy to tell the difference between a duolian and a triolian,and of course usually the duolian sounds better,unless of course you hit them hard enough then even an O sounds the same,haha.

but with these reissue nationals,what's the dif between a delphi and a triolian?is it just a paint job,or does the triolian have the dreaded maple neck?

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Yep, I've never regretted buying my secondhand National Style O for a moment. Cost me $1600 but what a guitar. Now that I've added a National hotplate pickup it's everything I need for slide.
I just sit back and watch all the posts about chopping and changing Republics and realise how lucky I was to get it right first time.
It's hard to make that initial decision to buy a National with so many cheaper alternatives but believe me you'll never regret it!
They are great guitars even though they are more expensive.
How's that?
And I'm not even a yank!! :lol: :roll: :oops:
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby VintageNats » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:18 am

Hi guys, Hope you don't mind me popping in to say hi. Someone just emailed me this link and I thought it'd be cool to join and say hello. Yes, that was me in the video w the white hat. Should have filmed a lot more but the whole NAMM thing was overwhelming. I'll just add a little bit to the thread to clear a few things up on the new Triolian.

The old Delphi has thicker sheet metal, .032 vs. .028 on the new Triolian. The Delphi actually had a steel top and back and brass sides for the last several years. The new Triolian is all steel. The old Delphi was Powder Coated w a heavy krinkle finish. The new Triolian has thinner paint, NON krinkle, and is baked at low temp to dry hard and sooner for assembly. The old Delphi had rolled F holes, the new Trio has flat cut as you see. The old Delphi was called the Delphi, the Triolian is called the Triolian including a cool retro Triolian decal. Game, Set, Match!

I would say the new Trio is a very nice improvement over the Delphi, and the price is exactly the SAME. Standard price for a new Triolian will be the same $2,300 as the Delphi retail, less 20% which is $1,840.

Anyhows, hope you liked the NAMM clips, very nice of Steve James to demo the Triolian. He had just sat down w an El Trovador and I said, "mind if you play the new trio and let me record you for a nice sound bite?". He said, sure, no problem. Anyhow, good to find you all and hope to pop in now and then. I've seen many threads on the various brands of reso's on here, and it's all interesting. I've actually never had in my hands many of these other models but have friends who really like em. It's all good. Hope this helps a bit.... Oh, and if you all want a cool white hat like I'm wearing there (and I know you do) I got it at The Vault outside Disneyland in the mall section. Good luck finding one! (kidding) Cheers, Lenny
VintageNats
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar