Need some recommendations

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Need some recommendations

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:25 am

So I know absolutely nothing about recording equipment. I want to start recording however, and there's not a better time to get new stuff than Christmas, right? :D So I figure I'll ask for some recording device for the holiday, although I don't know which.

I would like a device that I could use in my bedroom to record. Therefore, I don't want one that requires me to record using my computer since the computer is in another room. I prefer playing in my room because I feel most comfortable there. Anyways, does anyone have any recommendations for a good recording piece (preferably under $400) that doesn't require the computer for recording?

I've been looking at things like these, but I don't know much about them.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=247120
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=701051

I also have been looking at the Boss BR-600. The demo videos on youtube make it look pretty good and it gets awesome reviews. Anyone have any recommendations?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: Need some recommendations

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:32 pm

Zoom H2. I got mine about a year ago and I absolutely love it.

Used it for everything from recording me on electric guitar or banjo all the way to doing a 4 piece rock band i was in.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:22 pm

I have run the gamat from the zoom hand held to mini disc, to now computer based. You will get what you pay for. I suggest you ask yourself this question- how good do I want my stuff to sound? I spent a lot of $ getting to the computer and my initial goal was to make good sounding recordings. By good, I mean that you can put them on next to a commercial release without holding your ears. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rick-e » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:10 pm

does anyone know anything about this Belkin GoStudio, I like the idea of using my Ipod as temporary storage, and then downloading to the 'puter.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Belkin-GoSt ... 1415034.gc
Rick-e
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:11 pm

I ended up getting the Boss BR-600 for Christmas from my dad and I really want to start recording. It seems like a good piece of equipment but I haven't had time to dabble with it and I also am pretty sure I won't get to use it until I get a microphone.

I understood that you could plug your guitar into the board and the board into the amp so you could hear what you're playing while it's recording, but I was wrong and I have no clue how to hook it up. Worst manual I've ever seen too. The manual seriously has no information on how to set it up. Tons of information on how to record once it's set up, but nothing about how it's set up.

The other thing I don't understand is that it has lots of built in effects for the guitar, but if you can't plug the guitar into the board and the board into the amp, then what's the point of all the effects? If you need a microphone to record, then you would have to run the guitar into the amp and the mic into the board, so once again, what is the point of the built in effects?

Needless to say, I am horribly disappointed with it because I was misled by all of the information that Roland/Boss provide. I know zero about recording, so it's my own fault I suppose or maybe it is simple to run and I just don't get it.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:05 am

you must be doing something wrong there, you can definitely listen to what you're doing:play back recorded track(s) while adding new track(s)

I don't have a manual here, but I know it should work, I have a BR-864 and it does the job perfect (listen to demo on http://www.bluezet.tk)

I wouldn't try to use the effects live - they are meant to be used for recording only -

tip: you can listen to what you are playing using amp simulation and effects, but record the guitar "dry", so you can change amp simulation / effects later on

I sometimes use my overdrive pedals in front of the BR, because I like their sound, but all the rest - amp/cab simulation, delay, modulation, reverb... - I add at the mixing stage - too much fun to see how a track changes just changing amp (clean - overdriven - hi gain)
jaybee
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 am

How do you use your BR? I had the idea that I could use it like this.

Guitar ----> BR-600 ----> Amp

That way I could hear what I'm playing. I really have no clue, and like I said, the manual has nothing.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:26 pm

I've got the MR8HD and I love it. I do export to the pc, but I need something I can just stab record on without waiting for a computer to boot up or using a mouse (ecch). I don't plug direct, though, I mic the amp.

Not sure what you mean by amp. Guitar amp? Not sure why you'd do that. Blow a hundred on a decent pair of cans and save up for good near-field monitors. Plug the guitar into the front right of the board and run headphones out the front left.

Don't feel bad about the confusion. I spent some time in recording school and I'm a recording retard. But I'm lazy, if I can get ideas down, that's good enough for me, I don't like to do multiple takes or worry about perfect sound.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:20 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:How do you use your BR? I had the idea that I could use it like this.

Guitar ----> BR-600 ----> Amp

That way I could hear what I'm playing. I really have no clue, and like I said, the manual has nothing.

just plug in headphones, that's how I always use it (don't want to wake up sleeping kid)

there is a LINE output, you can connect that to a stereo LINE input, and hear it on your system - to connect to your gtr amp, depends on the amp - if it has fx loop, you could get a cable to connect either the line output or the headphone output to the power amp in (fx return), that should work

check out this: http://backstage.rolandus.com/login.php maybe the manual you can get from there is more detailed than the one in the box - lately manufacturers tend to include a "quick start" or NO manual at all, letting you download the "full version" saving paper & shipping cost (weight)... too bad if the customer doesn't have internet...
jaybee
Regular

Postby Darowyn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:00 pm

The output from your BR600 will be stereo. Probably from two Phono connectors on the back. If you are in the US, you will probably know them as RCA connectors.
The thing you need to get your head round is that when you record, you get the signal into the desk (The BR in your case) at the best possible level, but then you listen to it relatively quietly.
As soon as you start overdubbing and multitracking, or using microphones, you are going to have to listen to what you are doing on headphones- ao you may as well get used to it now.
In a real studio, if you ever make it there, you will probably use headphones to hear yourself and what you are playing along with, but after that, when the track is being mixed, you will listen to the playback on Monitor speakers.
So for recording you go Guitar--possibly via effects box--BR600--headphones.
And for mixing go BR600--- a good stereo amp and speakers .
The people who really know about all this stuff charge a lot of money. That is because buying all the gear costs a lot and it takes a lot of time and effort to learn how to use it.
A fair proportion of them were taught by me.
Cheers
Dave
Darowyn
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:57 pm

Of course, the logical thing is to get yourself on Darown's itinerary next time he goes US :mrgreen: And lefties will receive sympathetic treatment; ignore the r/h guitar playing, he'm a lefty like us.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:11 pm

Well I guess it's a good thing I bought some headphones a while back. :D Work called today and told me I didn't have to come in, so now that I've finished all my stuff for the day, I've got nothing to do. Might as well go sit down and mess with the BR-600. Thanks for all the help guys.

And Maxx, wanna buy a Sheraton II? Lefty of course.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jaybee » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:49 am

leftyguitarman wrote:Well I guess it's a good thing I bought some headphones a while back. :D Work called today and told me I didn't have to come in, so now that I've finished all my stuff for the day, I've got nothing to do. Might as well go sit down and mess with the BR-600. Thanks for all the help guys.

And Maxx, wanna buy a Sheraton II? Lefty of course.

Lefty, I know a lefty who might be interested, only one problem... we live in Belgium... could you check what shipping to Belgium would cost?
jaybee
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:21 am

Yeah, I can check. I'm sure it'll be a hefty amount, but I'll do it. Does your friend have paypal?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jaybee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 am

Sorry if you already went through the trouble Lefty, he ordered an Epi Dot last weekend... guess the money was burning a hole in his pocket, and he couldn't wait...
jaybee
Regular

Return to Recording