I won the bushman world video harmonica contest

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

I won the bushman world video harmonica contest

Postby watertore » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi All: I entered this contest with no dreams of anything, and won it. It has a great first prize. I go on right before the headliner at the Bean Blossom Blues, BBQ festival in August. Last year it was Charlie McCoy. I also get paid, a cabin with a hot tub, and $750 in bushman harps. I was floored I won this thing. I make it all up as I go along and have always struggled to break in the music world. This is a festival of harp lovers and I can't wait. Also, my 1 man band entry won. I have only been doing the 1 man band regularly for 3-1/2 years. Anyway, I am flying high!! Walter

here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PDMIGSvnwY

here is a link to the festival:
http://beanblossomblues.com/
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I won the bushman world video harmonica contest

Postby JakeyVimto » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Well done Mr Tore, you deserve it!

Honestly, I listened to a lot of players in the last few years, and there are many capable musicians, but not many individuals.

It is a real thrill to watch the blues come up through a guys boots on stage rather than watch a musician recite what they have learned. Im glad the judges saw it.

Enjoy your prize, its sounds like beaut!

Congrats,

j
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby watertore » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:04 pm

JakeyVimto wrote:Well done Mr Tore, you deserve it!

Honestly, I listened to a lot of players in the last few years, and there are many capable musicians, but not many individuals.

It is a real thrill to watch the blues come up through a guys boots on stage rather than watch a musician recite what they have learned. Im glad the judges saw it.

Enjoy your prize, its sounds like beaut!

Congrats,

j

Thanks jakey! Heck it only is taking me about 35 years so far to get somewhere in this music buiz :P Seriously, I am moved you see what you do in my music. I let it flow with no concerns for worldly acclaim. It is just a way to stay from going insane. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:50 pm

That is really terrific, Walter! Well deserved!
ricochet
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:03 am

this is so great.when you originally posted the link to your video here,months ago,i thought to myself"walter really deserves to win,i hope he does!"
my girlfriend watch it and we cheered together.congratulations.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Alwill » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:07 am

Wow. Awesome!
Alwill
Regular

Postby tobiepsg » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:24 am

Well done, dude! :!:
tobiepsg
Regular

Postby Fishfeathersmacteeth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:50 am

...great news Walter...!!!

..and richly deserved...!! 8)
Fishfeathersmacteeth
Regular

Postby watertore » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:29 pm

thanks everyone! I never thought I would win. I still am in sort of a daze. SPontobeat rarely wins anything that involves the music business. I am really looking forward to getting a load of bushman harps. I tried them a few years ago and want to give them a go again. The Bean festival has a great reputation and I know a lot of the folks that go to it. Things are moving along at a good pace for me. I do miss playing out, but at the same time, I like my day gig. It seems the two will always somewhat conflict. I am hoping that as I near retirement from teaching the window will be open for me to supplement my retirement via playing some gigs. Not too many, just enough to make me want to play another one! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Great news Walter! It was great meeting you in Memphis last year. I hope you can make it to the DC area one of these days.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Big time congrats, Walter! Nobody deserves it more than you.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:21 pm

Just goes to show, sometimes the good guy does win. You certainly deserve it Walter. Congrats

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:35 pm

thanks guys! It was good meeting you too dcblues, and bubba you always have inspired me, and 1 arm bandit you are very kind. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:24 pm

Walter, I think it's noble and courageous that you bare your soul on every tune you play, but I don't think anybody'd take as much notice if it weren't for HOW you pull it all off. Your look is one thing, but the level of expressivess you achieve in your harp playing has always been a benchmark for me, especially considering that you're playing racked much of the time. We've all got different styles, but expressiveness is an element we can all include in our playing, regardless of style. You've set a good example there, me bucko!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:59 pm

jeffl wrote:Walter, I think it's noble and courageous that you bare your soul on every tune you play, but I don't think anybody'd take as much notice if it weren't for HOW you pull it all off. Your look is one thing, but the level of expressivess you achieve in your harp playing has always been a benchmark for me, especially considering that you're playing racked much of the time. We've all got different styles, but expressiveness is an element we can all include in our playing, regardless of style. You've set a good example there, me bucko!

thanks bubba! I figured I wouldn't win the contest because there are tons of guys out there playing all the "right" chops and tones, and it seems like that is what goes over the easiest. My career has been an ongoing struggle to get accepted in the music business side of things-booking agents, labels, radio, press. the guys that always impressed me were way short on technical stuff and deep on the expressive- lightning hopkins comes right to mind. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Blues Harp