harp switching when playing

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

harp switching when playing

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:20 am

Switching from one harp to another on a very high paced song seems to be difficult for me, is there any way I should be holding the harps to help in the transission between the two. I am in the prosess of a song I'm writing called Rocky Mountian Loco. I Must master the turn over.
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Re: harp switching when playing

Postby bottleneck » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:53 am

sometimes i play with one harp between my thumb and first finger and the other harp between the first and middle of the same hand,or i keep one harp in my left hand and one in my right and play into the vocal mic instead of the bullet.hope that helps.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:43 pm

put the bullet on a stand and hold both harps however is comfortable. with the harp mic secured, you don't have to worry with holding it and then with how to hold 2 harps. much simpler.
jbone1
Regular

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:21 pm

I found out that useing a SM58 mic mounted is very good for me. I can produce that muddy sound without any mics. Keeping the muddy sound during the switch over is difficult. I guess that alot of practice is the key to quick switching. One question I have, I found a SansAmp Bass Driver DI in the back of a junk car at work, brought it home and hooked it up to my fender prinston amp. Man what a sound this thing puts out. Has anyone ever tried one. I don,t use it all the time just in certian riffs where i want that extra punch. It is very sensitive as far as the settings go. It has Level, Blend, Treble, Bass, Drive, and Presence nolbs and a phantom/ground connect switch. I have tried it at a jam session and when I acctivated it the peoples eyes lit up. The responce was really cool. Someone said to me that they never heard a harp sound so warm yet still be able to light up when you let it rip.
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Hey bottleneck how far from wilmington do you live? Where in Phila.
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:40 pm

i consider wilmington and philadelphia to be parts of the same city really.i live in center city philadelphia,graduate hospital area or gray's ferry,south of south.so i can get to wilmington faster than i can get to some parts of philadelphia.i play in middletown DE sometimes but haven't played in wilmington for a while although i go there fairly often.randy barnett is one of my favorite wilmington blues acts.the blue parrot is a fun blues bar.

you are welcome to sit in for a song or two with me anytime at a philadelphia show.i always have at least two shows a week in philadelphia,to offset my shows in jersey and the burbs.if you are a pastor of course,you may find some material to be offensive.however i usually do some hyms too,like i'll fly away,will the circle be unbroken,jesus make up my dying bed,you gotta move etc.but let me repeat that some of my material and language could be offensive to a pastor.

i'll more likely than not meet you at some point!

bottleneck
Regular

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:01 pm

Ok time to set things straight. No I'm not a pastor. I got this nick name from of all people Mark the owner of the blue parrot. Because I'm a co-founder of a Christian Blues Band called "From Harps To Halos". Soooooooo! lets get on with the blues brothers ! I jam on Wed. nites at the parrot with JD smitty band. I have played with Dr. harmonica, dokta D, Rodger Gurk band, sat in with Cleveland Fats and Memphis Slim. Played with Gary Allagretto, and also with Steth Holtsman. Any where any time is ok with me. I am a Christian inside and out. I would like to know who said we can't have fun to? Possible new jam nite comming up at Burbon street grill on phila, pike in clamont de . The date is set for Jan,15 Thurs. nite starting at 7pm will keep you up dated on that. Where and when do you do the phila show?
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby dcblues » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Hey Pastor, I met Dokta D a couple of years ago at a Baltimore area gig. I'm on his mailing list but I haven't been to any of his gigs yet.

My band will probably do a Diamond State show some time this year.

I don't switch keys much, so I can't help you much there. Somehow Norton Buffalo switches between five keys during his famous solo on Runaway.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Pastor Harmonica » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:02 am

I've seen him do that, the dude is amazing. Hope to jam with you soon, Keep in touch.
Pastor Harmonica
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:44 am

hey pastor harmonica,indeed it is a small world.i was hanging out with mark's daughter lauren last night,talk about fun people.so i'll come down and see you when i get a chance,i don't go to jams much,but it certainly would be nice to meet you.and i also like to support blues venues when i can.

if you do come to any of my shows,be sure to bring a harp or two(gca&d is safe for my acoustic shows)and let me know who you are.we'll have fun for sure.

bottleneck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:45 am

Pastor Harmonica wrote:I am a Christian inside and out. I would like to know who said we can't have fun too?

Amen, brother!
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:35 pm

I guess I hold the 2nd harp between my 2nd and ring fingers (sticking straight out like a cigarette would be) , way up by my wedding ring for the rare occasion when I'm gonna switch harps on the fly, but I honestly can't tell you what I do with the first harp when I'm done with it. Rod Piazza is the guy who switches harps more during tunes than anybody I've ever seen, and it seems to me that he takes the ones he needs outa his case before the tune and sets them in order on top of his wife Honey's keyboard (maybe there's a vid on his website catching him at it). He jus' makes sure that he's standing next to her when he switches. He switches so much that it's a little bit distracting to watch him manage his harps during a gig. If you had his harp switching habits you'd make sure you never drank at all during a gig, lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp