new old mic all over ebay

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

new old mic all over ebay

Postby jbone1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:54 am

i just bought an ev m43u military issue mic on ebay. the guy apparently has a lot of them for sale, new in the packaging, built in the early 80's to late 70's. i had one of these several years ago and found it to be a hot lil sucker. it has a weird plug end, the end of an xlr cable. i made a cable by taking the end off an xlr cable and doing the soldering necessary on the other end to add a 1/4" jack. if i remember right i had to use a lo to hi z adapter at the amp end to make it work.
these mics are mostly listed at 79.95, but the guy is listing them at 49.95 for quicker sale. for my $$ this is a decent deal on a brand new unmolested mic. it's compact to almost stubby and powerful also. it has a threaded bushing for mounting to a mic stand also.

anyone else had experience with the ev m43u mic?
jbone1
Regular

Re: new old mic all over ebay

Postby jbone1 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:31 am

well this one was in the mailbox today. not a bad turnaround considering i ordered it late last week!

i have to make a cable for it before i plug it in and i think i'll need an impedance transformer too, but i know this is a very good mic for a great price! he's got most or all of them listed at $49.95 now. they come in original packaging, never used since they were made in the 80's. it all adds up to great sound and excellent value to me.

i'm not affiliated with this guy in anyway by the bye. but i AM a happy customer!
jbone1
Regular

Postby resoharp » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:37 pm

Hi Jbone,
I've been using one of these mics for about 10 years. I have 2 of them from a lot of 30 I purchased back then. This guy called me up after seeing one of my videos on youtube using one of these EV mics. he bought a big pile of them at a government auction.
Anyway, as for the connector issue, One of the best and easiest ways to go is to get a male XLR to female 1/4 inch jack (guitar cord) transformer. from Hosa (they are the orange packages found in most music stores.) it costs about 10 bucks.
this way, if you or someone accidentlly steps on your cord it will simply pull out of the jack with no harm done.
If you can't find the Hosa jack, drop me a line because I can get them through my website.
Enjoy the mic. I like mine a lot. and it has stood up to lots of gigs. It has a cleaner sound than my green bullet or JT30.
resoharp
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:53 pm

so reso, can you tell me, do i need an impedance transformer/converter to run in a low-z tube amp? the adapter connector is a great idea. why the military engineered this mic with that particular connector is a mystery to me.
jbone1
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:16 pm

i have one and run it sans impedance matching transformer.it works fine.i just use an xlr to 1/4 inch adapter .maybe not the optimum setup,but it works.
bottleneck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:03 pm

I don't know of a "low impedance input" tube amp that's really low enough impedance to need a transformer.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:17 pm

thanks!
jbone1
Regular

Postby resoharp » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:07 pm

jbone, No, you don't need the impedance matching transformer. In addition to the transformer, I occasionally use an adaptor that I made similar to yours. I do notice a little difference when plugging into my 68 fender Vibrolux which I use a lot for harp. i like the sound of the transformer better for ssome reason.
reso
resoharp
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:04 am

i said that wrong i think. i run a hi-z tube amp. i'm not sure if the m43u is hi or low z, i guess that was my question.
jbone1
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm just saying either a high or low Z mic works with a high Z input. Only matters whether there's sufficient signal voltage. A transformer boosting the low Z to higher Z increases the signal voltage, though. And will likely introduce some of its own tonal coloration.
ricochet
Regular

Postby gheumann » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:14 am

Low Z mics "work" when plugged into a Hi-Z input, it is true. But they don't work well. How well they work depends both on the flexibility of the mic and the input impedance of the amp.

But you will always get better and optimal output by using an impedance matching transformer. To run a low Z mic into a high-Z input you have to use the 1/4" connector's shield/ground for one of the signal connections, so you can run into hum problems. Low impedance mics are usually cabled for "balanced" operation where the shield is ground ONLY and doesn't carry the signal, which travels on 2 wires inside the cable, connected to pins 2 and 3 of the XLR connector. Can't connect these to a 1/4" mono connector without losing one side of the signal or ground. But wait, there's more! Low-impedance volume controls, like the ones I make, or the one that comes in an Audix Fireball, will be completely neutered if you plug straight into a high Z input.

It is technically wrong. If you play a low Z mic into a guitar amp you should use an impedance matching transformer!

With all that said, I worked on a similar mic (M23) and if my memory is correct it was High-Z. They were used inside of military tanks. They are nice and small. I even have a pic of that job (conversion to screw-on connector) on my web site:

ricochet wrote:I'm just saying either a high or low Z mic works with a high Z input. Only matters whether there's sufficient signal voltage. A transformer boosting the low Z to higher Z increases the signal voltage, though. And will likely introduce some of its own tonal coloration.
gheumann
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:02 am

greg,
glad you chimed in here! the m23 is very similar to the m43, but the one big difference i see in the pics is, the 23 has the MALE xlr connection while the one i got- a 43- has the FEMALE side of the xlr! go figure why the heck the military orders stuff the way they do. it's coming back to me though, i made a cable for my first one about 10 years ago, male xlr to 1/4" jack, and into an impedance matching transformer which i had at the amp end of things. it worked real well and i really liked the boost it gave the sound. figuring out which lead to which pin is always an adventure for me too!
as resoharp suggested above though, maybe a male xlr to female 1/4"transformer package is simplest.

i'll tell you why i don't care for the amphenol type screw on connectors: i've had a couple of mics with them and if you change the cable very often, say from one mic to another, or even with normal usage, the wire where it runs into the connector has always managed to break off, sometimes at the worst possible time! and there's no quick fix on stage. i currently use either an xlr with impedance adapter- shure 545s- a hard wired bullet- shure 707a- or a crystal with a female jack to accept a guitar cord. true, the female 1/4" in a mic itself is subject to be pulled out, and this happened to me once when opening for a big name- but once it happens it teaches a person to be more careful for sure!
jbone1
Regular

Return to Blues Harp