'59 bassman by sligo amps- WOOOO!!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Re: '59 bassman by sligo amps- WOOOO!!

Postby jbone1 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:48 am

i do not know about the pre amp thing. steve assured me this was wired to '59 specs if that helps. i do know he will chat with you by phone and answer that question. i initially called him and discussed him building me this amp. he was very reassuring and had done a reverb model for a guy in the dc area, and gave me his email also, and i talked with that guy on the phone also.

now if they7 could come up with a shrink ray, this would be the absolute bar none perfect amp!
jbone1
Regular

Postby bigcat72 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:52 am

hay j bone sounds like u been to the parrot i got my blues jr nos and i love it i had a pevy 50 classic 63 pounds got tired of lugging it around blues jr only 31 pounds loud enough for me glad you like your new amp. maybe see u at the parrot some time. TC 8)
bigcat72
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:19 pm

hey cat, i was there last night and the house harp guy had his blues jr out. very nice small amp for harp! tried a classic 50 some years ago and it was just not suited for harp- solid state rectifier, needed speakers, and it was HEAVY for sure!

hope to see you out sometime.
jbone1
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:50 pm

i too at one time had a peavey classic.sold it to a guitar player who never paid it off,but i was glad to get rid of that thing,haha.i then got a fender blues deville,which was way loud so i traded for a RI bassman,while on stage with the deleware destroyers,that was pretty funny.
bottleneck
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:06 am

hey jbone,any update on that sligo amp?i've been hearing great things about them lately and one of the guitar players i work with may get one.
i was looking at the sligo site and the prices are very good compared to other boutique amps.i am very impressed with their models other than the bassman too.you could really cover every base!

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:12 pm

well the bassman has given me no trouble at all, and the tone is still there every time. i'm actually still learning its ins and outs as far as settings for good harp tone. different mics respond to different volume, tone, high, low, and mid settings. i had a couple of guys blow through it recently so i could hear it from out front and i continue to be impressed with its range and potential volume level with good tone.

steve clark will work with a customer to get him what they need for the application they are planning to use the amp for. looking back i may have tried a deluxe replica if i'd had it to do again, but just once in my life i have a real deal badass 4x10 bassman, so no complaints at all!

i do have some vintage 12au7's i plan to swap in for the newer ones i have in there. future experiments may include different power tubes and possibly a different rectifier, but for now it's the best thing i've ever owned for harp amp, hands down.

your partner can all steve at the phone # listed on his site at sligo, or email him from there. steve is a great guy and i think part of his success is his no-nonsense, give a customer what he wants, approach.
jbone1
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:14 pm

he ended up ordering the 40 watt version of the sligo deluxe.it is like a deluxe circuit but with 6l6 instead of 6v6 .one by 12,weighs 30 lbs. i am looking forward to comparing it to his victorias.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:36 am

I'd recommend to anyone building medium power or larger amps to use 12AX7s and 6L6s. Those tubes will be the last ones produced when tubes finally die out. Lots of amps designed for 6V6s will work with 6L6s. As long as there's enough heater power, it's often plug and play. For a while, ElectroHarmonix was selling the cheap Russian 6L6 types (6П3С) as "6V6EH." They held up in the tube-abusive Fender amps a whole lot better than the Russian 6V6 (6П6С) that was the only new 6V6 option available at the time. The Russian 6П6С works fine in old radios, phonographs, Hammond M series spinet organs and the like that run 6V6s as they were designed to be run.
ricochet
Regular

Postby wolfkristiansen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:03 am

Hi jbone, here's what Sonny Jr. told me he puts in his Sonny Jr. Four Ten-- 12AT7 in V1, 12AU7 in V2 and 12AY7 in V3. Don't know if you're still experimenting with preamp tube swaps, but give it a try if you're feeling adventurous.

Cheers,
wolf kristiansen
wolfkristiansen
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:54 am

i may have those tubes, if so i'll try that out!
jbone1
Regular

Postby harmonicatunes » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:09 pm

This may get me thrown out, but here goes... I use a Boss Fender Bassman 59 pedal. I like it. Not the real thing, but easier to carry.
harmonicatunes
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:43 pm

harmonicatunes wrote:This may get me thrown out, but here goes... I use a Boss Fender Bassman 59 pedal. I like it. Not the real thing, but easier to carry.

Nope, nothing wrong with that. You should use whatever works best for you. I've heard pro players use solid state amps and tube amp simulators (I think that's the right term) and sound great. I've gigged and recorded with a Pignose and had people ask me if I was using a vintage tube amp. And then there's James Cotton, who plays a vocal mic though the pa and sounds like, well, like James Cotton!
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:55 pm

I'm with you guys on this one. I know of a number of great harpers who run pedals right into the mains...no stage amps. It's handy.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby DeFord Harp Slider » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:24 pm

Hey JBone, What kind of speakers are in your Sligo Bassman? Please don't tell me I need a top secret clearance in order to access this information.
DeFord Harp Slider
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:38 am

ok, as best as i can tell, steve put 3 different speakers in the amp. 2 are eminence flat cones, 1 is an eminence blue pup, and the 4th i see no marking on. all are 10's. the 2 flat cones allow for good breakup at low volume and the other 2 allow good breakup at higher volume. or vise versa.

if you're really interested you should go to sligo amps dot com and call steve at the phone # he has there. he knew what he was doing when he built this amp, and he does several different fender circuits and configurations. i bet he could do a killer deluxe!

i had this amp out last wednesday and it definitely kept up with the electric band, 2 guitars and all. in fact i had to drop the volume a bit so it wouldn't blow anyone up.
jbone1
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Blues Harp