Favorite Band "Uniforms"

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Favorite Band "Uniforms"

Postby jeffl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:44 pm

Jus' for fun, I thought I'd ask guys what kinds of uniforms they've used in bands they've played in. This might be more for the older guys who gigged back in the 60's and 70's, when uniforms were more common. My own personal favorite was a "soul" band I played in, back in high school. It wuz a band I got sucked into, playin' trumpet, 'cuz my buddy was playin' bass and one of their horn players had a drug problem and missed too many rehearsals. He and I were the only white guys. It was a band called the "Milwaukee Royals" and we wore purple double knit jumpsuits with gold fringe (cowboy style) down the legs and sleeves. We had band boxes in front of us with "MR" on the fronts. It was a great payin' job, but the guys were all at least 5 to 10 years older than us and when they went on tour for the summer my mommy wouldn't let me go with them (smart lady).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Favorite Band "Uniforms"

Postby jpfeiff » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:18 am

Bubba, I got no "uniform" per se, but I sure wished the guys in the band I used to play in would've dress up a bit more. I mean, you gotta give the people something to look at as well as listen to when you're up on stage. These guys looked they just peeled themselves off the couch with their grubby t-shirts and jeans. Jeans are OK by me, but I usually wore either a white shirt and colorful hippie vest, or an over-the-top cowboy shirt with shiny threads and pearl buttons. IMO you gotta at least look better than half of the folks in the crowd.
jpfeiff
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:26 am

I do the charity events with either the community band (Oliver's Barmy Army) or Clive & Moss (Flatliners). The Flatliners think I'm a bit over the top with black jeans and a red shirt and shiny shoes, but I think that it matters. You never know who's going to be there that can lead you into new places, and it helps to be memorable for the right reasons.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:29 pm

We don't have uniforms, but we dress nice for gigs - usually black or tan pants, with a decent short-sleeve, gig shirt. (mine are usually black or gray). Occasionally we wear suits (the only two times I can recall are at the IBC).

We do have band jackets our bandleader got fur us. Each one has our name and instrument on the front, and the band's name on the back. He gave them to us when we went to Memphis in February. We don't wear them on stage, but in colder weather we usually wear them to gigs.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:39 pm

Never had a dress code in the bands I was in, but a black suit and a fedora has been my stage outfit for years now.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:50 pm

Black is always in and a fedora or a nice porkpie hat fits right appropos. I do tend to throw up in my mouth a little every time I see white guys trying to play the blues wearing Hawaiin shirts. McGarrett and Magnum P.I. don't play blues....and Charlie don't surf!

Cheers ya'll, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Slim » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:58 am

Except for Ray Wylie Hubbard...He can get away with it. But "Screw you hes from Texas" LOL!
Slim
Regular

Postby jaybee » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:34 am

texas blues wrote:Black is always in and a fedora or a nice porkpie hat fits right appropos. I do tend to throw up in my mouth a little every time I see white guys trying to play the blues wearing Hawaiin shirts. McGarrett and Magnum P.I. don't play blues....and Charlie don't surf!

Cheers ya'll, TB.

I don't wear "hawaii" shirts, but I DID have a period in time when I bought the "loudest" shirts possible to wear on stage :lol: - usually got them for next to nothing at second hand stores (never paid mre than €2.00 really)

nowadays I wear a decent T-shirt (usually with some reference to music/guitar on it) and a nice, clean shirt - I also started changing at the venue after setting up, so the "travel attire" gets dirty - then change back after the gig, so I can load the car without catching a cold...

jeez, I'm getting old, I'm starting to sound like my mom!!!
:shock: 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:23 pm

If I had a blues band, I would dress like these guys.

leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bluesrules » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:36 pm

The worst was a disco band in about '76. Various hideous jump suits and frilly french shirts. Ouch! The gig paid great though and worked constantly. Still I couldn't take it for more than about 6 months...

These days it's usually black shoes, black jeans or slacks, nice shirt, black sport coat and a black or grey Kangol british racing hat (cover the bald spot :-)). I agree with the others. You should look nice. Set yourself apart from the crowd.
bluesrules
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:52 pm

I'd nearly forgotten about the jag we got on during the late 60's, when we'd go down to the second-hand stores (in those days, Salvation Army and St.Vincent de Paul) and buy old suits from the 50's I s'pose, for a buck or two....big ol' wide lapel jobs...gangster pinstripes or wursted wool, and some double breasted stuff. We'd raid our grandpa's old tie rack for some of those 5" wide floral patterned hand painted silk beauties. Ry Cooder had a thing for that look, way back in those days. Stylin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:46 pm

I like dressing "up" for a gig. I have a couple of dozen shirts I wear in the winter and a couple of dozen I wear in the summer. Black jeans, black boots and some sort of Roy Rogers style western shirt. Them shirts are beautiful but expensive. I think I look more rockabilly than blues. The blues part of me is on the inside, nothing I have to wear. I wear the same thing in the summer but with short sleeve bowling shirts. I want to look different than what the audience has on. At the last Biker June Jam I wore a beautiful cream western shirt with black yokes, cabillaro sleeves and fancy stitching. I also dress after the gear is set up. I was in the crowd watching the 1st band with all these bikers in their dress and got many looks. Mostly from the ladies. I knew many of the bikers so they knew I was getting ready to take the stage. The boss wears rock clothes, he looks like he walked right out of 1986 and the drummer dresses very polite. We are three very different looking dudes with different lives who come together on gig night and shake it down, then we go back to our separate lives only to unite again at the next show.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby Bournio » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:00 pm

Solo acoustic when I played I looked like:
The pictures from last thursday havent appeared, but imagine that but with the shirt done up....
Bournio
Regular

Postby texas blues » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Cheat sheet alert!!

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Bournio » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 pm

texas blues wrote:Cheat sheet alert!!

Cheers, TB.

Indeed... and I wasn't playing the blues...
I'm terrible at lyrics... I'm not shy about that fact!
Bournio
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs