Should TR get a resonator?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

RE: Should TR get a resonator?

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:59 pm

Sounds good. I hope you have fun with it...and I know you will.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:25 pm

Oh yeah, you're gonna love that thing!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:16 am

Congratulations TR!!! Man, you made it! Just got the new MF in the mail, and I see they've gone up to $149.
1four5
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:31 am

Yep, been waiting for the online price to go up. Figured, Monday? The 1st of December? Oh well, I made it under the wire. Thank goodness for payday. $20 is a considerable difference for that price range.
trguitar
Regular

Postby trguitar » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:22 pm

My reso got here today!

Not too shabby either but there are a few flaws. Well, for $129 it aint gonna be perfect. First off, I expected the action to be high but it isn't. It is right there with my electrics, which I hope won't hinder me in my slide endeavors. The spider was a little crooked so I fixed that. I losened it up a bit too then tightened it down just til it sounded right to me. This brought the action up a little. The saddle is one with a ebony cap none the less. The finish is beautiful and there isn't a mark on it. You have to fight the tuners a little but they are at least sealed die cast so they will do.

The only major fault I can find is that whoever built it gave up on the fret dressing after about the 13th fret so on the 13th fret 3rd string I am missing a note and there is a little buzz in a couple of places above there. Now the neck joins at the 14th fret and I bought this to learn slide with, so I don't expect to be going up there much and the first 12 frets of the neck play clean and smooth with nary a rattle of buzz. I could try dressing out the bottom few frets, nothing to lose there or just ignore it as I plan to be sliding over it anyhow. I do need to get some heavier strings though if I intend to play slide. This will give me a little more resistance as well as better tone.

Comments / suggestions please!
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:11 pm

Heavier strings'll bring your action up a bit, too. I'd suggest at least 13s if you're mainly going to be sliding (though I slide very happily with 12s on my electrics.)

ricochet
Regular

Postby crowduck » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Get some Tri-Flow spray lubricant for those tuners. It's got Teflon in it, and the liquid part evaporates off, doesn't leave a mess.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:04 am

Reckon it'll get inside sealed tuners?

ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:30 am

Congrats TR! As I've said before... I have one and LOVE it! I put more hours a week on it than any of my others. I have 13's on her and do alot of fretting so I like my action lower but it seems to be fine fer slidin as well! I would have paid up to 300 bucks based on how I feel about it now! Nice axe man, have FUN!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trguitar » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:45 am

O.K. Got the strings. Would have bit on the 13's but they had 12's on sale at the music store for $4 less! I can play it fine with the 12's so next set will be 13's. Fretting isn't the issue with the string guage I found out, it is the bending. I've been playing so long I can fret Golden Gate Bridge cables. I prefer the 9's on my electrics for the bendability. I can play cords on the 12's without issue. I recouped the lost note with the heavier strings, although it buzzes a little on that particular fret. I took the whole thing apart, wood chips rattling from the build you know, and now it is perfect. My son and I had fun disecting it. He is a Physics/Enginering major you know. :) Now I have to learn some cool delta blues numbers.
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:01 am

You're right. I can fret fine with the .017-.070" set on my reso, but bending gets downright athletic.

ricochet
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues