got a deal at Musican's Friend!

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

got a deal at Musican's Friend!

Postby jbone1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:12 pm

MF has a deal on a set of 5 lee oskar harps and throws in a 20-harp case to boot, $149.99! i haven't had a Lee Oskar for a while but i figured what the heck, i could use a few spares. the harp are keys A, C, D, F, and G i think. case looks pretty decent.

so Christmas came a bit early here!
jbone1
Regular

Re: got a deal at Musican's Friend!

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Good find! I guess the case was better than free,huh? I have a few LOs in my case; I like 'em for single note stuff on certain tunes. I used to play 'em exclusively.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby too2tall » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:30 am

I like Lee Oskars for playability but never found them to be as tight as Suzuki's or Golden Melodies. The replaceable reeds are nice and I really like their Minor Key Harps.
too2tall
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:27 am

I don't like Lee Oskars much at all. The only thing I like about them is how damn long they can go without going flat. I wish Marine Bands could do that!

I have a set of Lee Oskars autographed by the man himself that I won in a blues harp contest, probably about 9 or 10 years ago. I've been meaning to try to sell them on eBay, but I know very little about selling stuff there. If anyone here is interested in them, let me know.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:09 am

I got the same package deal from Music123 as MF won't accept an O/S billing address, even if the delivery is in the US.

The 5 LOs are 5 LOs. I learnt on a Lee Oskar and I've always liked them, probably because I'm used to them. One thing I really like about LOs is the key stays visible - on all my Hohners the key has worn off, and I've tried all sorts of permanent markers to identify what key they are.

The case is OK - typical Chinese, with some dubious finish. I've never locked it as its not robust enough to stop even a determined child getting into it. Some clamping and gluing fixes up most of the finish issues (but you shouldn't have to do that on a new product). The case is big enough to carry a tribe (2 trays of 12 I think) of diatonics and I carry a C tremelo and two mics + cables. The cables have to be wound fairly tight, as there's not a huge amount of room.

Overall I'd rate it as a good deal.
Last edited by MakaInOz on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:18 pm

The Lee Oskars are basically $28, so you get the case for $9. It's probably worth that.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:56 pm

i tried the LO's out last evening as we rehearsed some stuff here at the house. for the most part i liked them, there were some low notes on the A that seemed to need more breath, but over all i think they are very well built harps. tuning is pretty good also. i played them in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions as the songs warranted and results were almost all positive. still, there are songs i like a sp20, big river, or bushman on, so i'll have a true mixed bag of harps there.

i'm not sure how i want to set up the new case. the section for the diatonics is laid out so the harps go "face up" while i've always put mine with the back side up in my other case. i may put dividers in to make individual slots. i also always know which harp to grab by its position in my old case and this needs to be addressed on the new one. maybe a paint pen to put the key on the back side of each harp.

the case itself does seem to be fairly well made and with plenty of space for mic and cable and a couple of chromatics to boot, plus the space for 20 diatonics.

i'm not a total convert to LO's but they will be a plus to have around no doubt! reed plates go for about $17 a set which is less than most competitors. i like that!
jbone1
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I really like my LO's. I'm still using the first one I got. Not a bad reed yet. But I'm playing contemporary christian music melodies in 1st position.
For blues I have an equal number of SP20's. All of them are hanging in there as well.
BBQ Bob taught me to go easy on the air pressure and I took it to heart.
Thanks Bob.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jbone1 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:38 am

bob is 100% as far as i can tell. my downfall was early on working with way-too-loud bands and not enough amp. that was pretty much a guarantee of short harp life! of course after time, reeds will fatigue and go flat, but these days it takes much much longer for my harps to crap out. i have taken bob's counsel and most of the time i play more gently than i used to. it also helps a lot to have different options like jimmy reed style 1st position and third position playing along with strictly chicago 2nd position style. part of the mortality problem i used to have with harps was drawing #4 or #5 too hard on too many songs.

so for me, good amplification was really secondary once i got away from the wall of noise crowd. wind control and use of the air column we all have was key.
jbone1
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:31 pm

well after a couple more tryouts of the LO's, i do like them for certain things, but also favor my Delta Frost for other things. the Oskars have a certain harshness when playing third position that works ok sometimes but not at all what i'm used to other times.

the case is handy for keeping a mic with me at all times but i may modify the sections for harps so i can seperate them and know more easily where each key is.

it IS nice having a decent latch on the case also. my old briefcase is a hazard that way.
jbone1
Regular

Return to Blues Harp