First Gig...sort of

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

First Gig...sort of

Postby Slim » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:41 pm

So....Me and Pam are moving back to New Orleans. We were there moving some stuff Sunday and went to see my friends band play. He is the one who has been trying to get me to play on their open mic/jam night but I am seriously worried about it cause though it is open mic they have some serious heavy hitters from the local and regional scene playing those nights just for fun and a REALLY big crowd (200 300 folks maybe) plus alot of musicians in attendance. Frankly I dont think that is the ideal first gig. Well he comes up to me and is telling me that a bar uptown has a small open mic acoustic night. He wants me and him to play it one night. HE says they usually have a bunch of deep philosophical singer songwriter types and it is not really that great so he thought me and him should bust out with a couple old blues tunes or maybe some old old country stuff (Jimmie Rodgers, Vernon Dalhardt, etc) He is sure we will get a warm reception and blah blah blah. SO I agreed if we get together and really work out the songs before hand. And if I really suck what the hell, its uptown, I dont know any of those folks! LOL!

And then the next day we are at a friends new bar and he asks "Man don't you play guitar some?" and I say well you might call what I do playing guitar....Anyway he wants me to come play some in the afternoons when I am in town and not busy. He is like "Look man, you can play the same 5 or six songs or whatever hell play the same jam....Just put a tip jar out and have fun" So I am seriously considering it also. Nothing like learning to play in public huh?
Slim
Regular

Re: First Gig...sort of

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:34 pm

Go for it Slim. The downsides'll be minimal. Even the musicians in the crowd usually don't catch your mistakes, and the non-musical types almost never will. And besides, we've all made mistakes, and so do bigtime pros (Haven't you seen 'em laughin' at each other onstage..?) . One of the things that'll really get rid of your apprehensiveness is making a few mistakes and discovering that nobody caught 'em. Hell, half the time, even the people you're playin' with don't catch your mistakes. My absolute first payin' gig, in a folk group when I was in 8th grade (43 years ago) , we made tons of mistakes and laughed 'em off and kept goin'. The people loved us, but we were havin' a great time and so were they.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Slim » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:48 pm

Yeah I am going to try it. I know that my buddy can cover alot of my faults as he is a excellent player. He is always playing in the funk and rock/blues bands around town but his first love is old country and blues plus he is wnating to try singing out some so he is hyped about us trying this out. And the deal at my other friends bar I will do just for fun and practice. I know in the afternoons it is fairly empty so I won't feel to much pressure....

I really got to get over my jitters. I mean I know I aint great or anything but maybe this will give me the inspiration to get better.
Slim
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:03 pm

out live is the best place to learn once you can do a I-IV-V. back in the day i had some opportunities i wish i'd taken but didn't because "i wasn't good enough yet". hell, i should have listened to the ones asking me to play for pay! it was some YEARS later that i actually gave myself permission to get on stage, for $$, and play through my booboos. nobody cared, they wanted us to do good on stage! and my fellows on stage didn't care, they thought i was plenty good enough or they would not have asked me.

last tuesday night my wife and i played a full 4 hour night at a joint. she's fairly new to blues guitar while i've been a harpman for 35+ years. who do you think made more clinkers? hint it wasn't her! but we did well, nobody gave me or us the evil eye, people enjoyed what we did, and we got paid and even got a $10 tip!

sometimes we have to find a way to turn off our internal critic. just go with what our friends assure us is the reality and do what we can. and realx. and just have a good time!
jbone1
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:38 pm

I am excited about it. But I gotta practice alot between now and then. I think it is every wednesday night so maybe the week after thanskgiving???
Slim
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Enjoy and just look like you are having fun--99% of people dont know crap about music and don't know Roy Rogers from Trigger-So just keep it loose

Most questions you get are about equipment " my son has a guitar like that"
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:03 pm

I am seriously looking forward to it as is my buddy. He is completely into music--teaches music, plays in umpteen bands. Always excited about getting other people up and playing. I think it will be fun. I am a big ham anyway.
Slim
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:30 am

Everybody goes through the nervous bit when they play in public the first few times. Some get over it, some always have some degree of nervousness, but it disappears once you have to start concentrating on the song/instrument/timing.

Personally, I am now the most shameless ham, I'll get up and play at anyone who'll stand still long enough.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:06 am

jeffl wrote:Hell, half the time, even the people you're playin' with don't catch your mistakes.

I've found this to be true when jamming with people. Sometimes I'll go to the wrong chord in a song, but if you fix it really quick no one will ever really notice.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:25 pm

well the REAL trick comes on the turnaround after you mess up, trying to recreate the booboo and acting like, "i MEANT to do that!"
jbone1
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:54 pm

The old "if you screw up, play it twice and they'll think you meant it" bit!

I just had my first gig about a month ago...at least my first gig in fifteen years...been trying to be as good at blues as I expect others to be. I was pretty nervous, but some guys from our local blues society were there to back me up, so I had a solid rhythm section. Then the best local bluesman in the area walks in the joint and my nerves went to hell...so I called him up on stage, of course!
CashWiley
Regular

Return to About Gigs