About Spider Bridge Resonator Guitars

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

RE: About Spider Bridge Resonator Guitars

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:29 pm

My Spider is bone stock cept fer a string change (can't remember what brand or size) but after reading these posts I'm tempted to tinker a bit now! I'm also tempted to order another so I can be like Grady and keep one in D and one in G! Hmmmmmmmm.... feelin some GAS comin on!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby louisianagrey » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:52 pm

I usually find that adjustments don't bother the Schatten (unlike the Fishman, I seem to recall reading?) But then, as I said, I tighten the screw to somewhere in the right area before I fit the pickup and the strings.
Pete
(http://www.petewoodmanguitars.com)
Find out about Bushy's Big Wheel Blues Fest 2005 - http://www.bigwheelblues.com
louisianagrey
Regular

Postby sloth » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:40 pm

I have a Schatten as well and installed it myself. In the instructions it specifies getting the cone set up before putting the pickup on. My only concern would be that you will loosen the bolts and cause that little nut to rattle around under the cone over time. The putty should keep the pickup in place, but if you adjusted it too much I would think that it would start to pull away with the new adjustments. You may want to check it out.

Also, on adjusting the spider. I was always told to snug it about a turn over finger tight. Just enough to keep it from shaking loose. I called Beard's number also and they told me that the screw should never be used to adjust the action because it only puts more pressure on the cone.

I was always under the impression that you get a new saddle if you wanted higher action, and that is what I did because I wouldn't trust putting more strain on the cone.

I don't know what the cones are like on the Rogues, but my Beard cone is almost paper thin. It wouldn't handle as much tightening as a stock aluminum one would. My Fender was Aluminum and you could probably have ran it over with a car.
sloth
Regular

Postby zaiata » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:46 pm

>My Spider is bone stock cept fer a string change (can't
>remember what brand or size) but after reading these posts
>I'm tempted to tinker a bit now! I'm also tempted to order
>another so I can be like Grady and keep one in D and one in
>G! Hmmmmmmmm.... feelin some GAS comin on!

I am also considering getting a second one. Having two,
if you got one out commission due to mod experimentation
you still have the other to survive (Once you play a spider
you can no longer be without one those bad girls).
I need to decide on ordering a second Rogue or keep looking
for a Regal like the one grady own. I am following a couple others
reso spider on eBay. I guest i am into it; GAS....It's just a matter of
some time for me to have two spider bridge babes.
zaiata
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:30 pm

Sloth, you're misunderstanding if you think I said to adjust the action by the tension screw. I'm pointing out that the action does change significantly as you adjust the screw. You adjust the screw for proper tone and playing feel, then you adjust the saddle height for the action to be at the proper height if it's not when you get the tension adjusted right. Of course, truss rod adjustments are just like they are on any guitar. (They aren't used primarily to adjust the action, either, but affect it.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby slider951 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:09 pm

???? is there a difference in the sound of a round neck compared to a square neck ???
slider951
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:07 am

It's not so much a difference in the sound as in the manner of playing. A squareneck is a lap guitar. It's got high, unfrettable strings, and is played with a steel. It's usually tuned in different tunings than the ones used for bottleneck playing, most commonly GBDGBD. The heavy square neck resists the raised tension of that tuning compared to DGDGBD.

ricochet
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:53 am

I've had my Rouge spider reso for 3 days. Took it completely apart last night. Put on new strings, heavier guage and got it sounding great. I followed the Stewmac directions sort of. Resistance then 1/4 to a full turn. I used my ear also. Think it sounded good at about 3/4 to one full turn. All rattles are gone, action is perfect. I took great satisfaction in showing people at work pictures and having them ask "What the hell is that!". I'm learning the ropes of open G tuning. Been playing in standard for 28 years (except for detuning to Eb for a bit). Great fun. Your right Ric, I'm a grinnin fool!
trguitar
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:43 am

Tolja! :7

ricochet
Regular

Postby richard » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:10 pm

congratulations on the new baby !
hope you enjoy it !!

Richard
richard
Regular

Re: About Spider Bridge Resonator Guitars

Postby creekjess » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:00 pm

Got a question for you guys in the know,i have an older Johnson wood body resonator guitar and was trying to set it up according to stewmacs instructions. I could not loosen the tension screw,my question is should the tension screw "float" through the spider bridge or should there be threads in the bridge?
thanks in advance,
Jesse
creekjess
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:33 pm

It's used to tighten the spider to the cone so it should float through the bridge itself.
creekjess wrote:Got a question for you guys in the know,i have an older Johnson wood body resonator guitar and was trying to set it up according to stewmacs instructions. I could not loosen the tension screw,my question is should the tension screw "float" through the spider bridge or should there be threads in the bridge?
thanks in advance,
Jesse
kiwiblues
Regular

Postby bek1 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:55 am

I have a 1930s Regal roundneck with a spider bridge, and it is easily the best-sounding reso I've ever heard or played. The neck is a pronounced and very comfortable vee, and it'll sound sweeter than any biscuit-bridge. Hit it hard down by the bridge and it'll sound a bit biscuit-like, and pick/pluck choppy and mute with either hand and it will kill the notes quicker (like a biscuit-bridge). It's one of the two guitars I don't intend to sell.
bek1
Regular

Postby Kuvash » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:36 pm

I know this may be a bit off the mark but I recently set my round neck spider bridge up in "Nashville tuning".I have another acoustic flat-top set up that way ....and one day I thought...."hey wait a minute,......you don't suppose?....well,why can't I?
It's just one more of those things we try.For better or worse.

kuvash
Kuvash
Regular

Previous

Return to Guitar