Funny Gig Story....

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Funny Gig Story....

Postby jbone1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:39 pm

a co0uple of months ago i was chatting with a friend who lives in another city, and promotes bands in his area. he asked me if Jaw and Jo had enopugh material for a whole night type gig, which i said of course we did. he told me he'd see if he could get us a weeknight date at a joint in his town. i said ok and promptly forgot. he'd gotten my former band a date or 2 but nothing like on the scale he'd been talking about. i just sort of figured he'd give it half a try and nothing would come of it. frankly speaking he's a nice guy, maybe too nice to negotiate with club owners.

ok, so about 3 weeks ago my wife is looking over the statewide music newspaper, and she calls me in. we're listed as playing that club on nov. 11th! oops, i had not even mentioned my conversation with our friend to her! and we'd not heard from our friend at all!! so i call him and leave a message. no reply. finally after a few days he calls back and tells me the gal at that joint had liked the idea of our act but had not confirmed with him that she wanted us there. but apparently she told the music newspaper we'd be playing! it turns out good.

we drove the hour and a half last evening to the joint, loaded in and set up, got to use their p.a. which was really decent, and played our 4 set night to a fair crowd that rotated in and out over the course of the night. Jo got all the free drinks she wanted- 1 per set- which she drinks ONE and just possibly 2 in a night, and one guy dropped a $10 in the tip jar, which i thought was real nice. plus we made fairly good $$ off the bar. we played pretty well, Jo was dead on with her guitar work most all night bar just one or 2 very small flubs. we got some pretty good response, people clapping and even dancing here and there.

that drive home- through a lot of ground fog, about 75-80 miles after a full day's work and then a full night's playing out- was something of a challenge (i'm really glad i don't drink any more!), but we got home and unloaded with no deer running into the car, cops pulling us over, or other interesting distractions. i got a few hours' sleep and now i'm about to head for the job with something of an after-gig glow.

so this was a little bit of a laugh and it was a lot of fun to boot! it's always nice to make a few bucks and get some compliments for doing what you love.
jbone1
Regular

Re: Funny Gig Story....

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:25 pm

Pretty typical for the music business...iffy communications, that is. It turned out good though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Sounds like a good night!
ricochet
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:30 am

it was, it was.

first thing i said from the stage was i asked if any veterans were in the house, an several hands went up. i thanked them for their service to us and our country. just felt right.
i've done maybe 300 full gigs in the past 17 years so it was not such a big deal for me. i felt it yesterday at the job, my boss called and had to come in a half day late, so i got to do everything all morning, which all i can say is thank the Powers for mountain dew! Jolene has been playing with me for only about 2 1/2 years and this season we haven't booked many full gigs, a lot more single or double set nights. and busking. so she was really wiped out yesterday! but she still got all her stuff done for the job. lucky for her she works from home!

she played the fender concord all night and it sounded great! and despite a couple of harps developing bad reeds early on, i made it fine harp-wise. i carry spares of the high mortality keys.

the drive back to little rock from hot springs over rt. 70 goes through some wooded hills, deer country. we saw a few on the roadsides although none stepped into the road on us. about halfway to I-30 we did see one on the center line that had been hit and basically destroyed. as tired as i was i'm real glad i didn't have to dodge any though!

i'm hoping we can book back there on a weekend, or take the next day off if we do get a week night. the drive home and next day of work is pretty tough.
jbone1
Regular

Return to About Gigs