my first amp build - 5E3 content.

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

my first amp build - 5E3 content.

Postby j bird » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:09 am

Well to my amazement the amp actually works. Way more grit than I expected but that's a good thing.

Here's what she looks like

http://www.jasonlynn.com/images/5e3front.jpg
http://www.jasonlynn.com/images/5e3rear.jpg
j bird
Regular

RE: my first amp build - 5E3 content.

Postby straightblues » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:30 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-05 AT 08:31 PM (EST)]Looks really nice. Good work!!!!

Who made your kit? How easy was it for a first timer? How many hours did you spend?

Tell me about the tone. I am looking for an amp that I can play house parties with. I am looking for something that will deliver nice blues breakup at lower volumes than my 64' Blackface Deluxe which is 22 watts. The tweed 5E3 ciruit is suppose to put out between 12 and 15 from what I read. I am into traditional blues and West Coast style stuff. Would the 5E3 be good for me???
straightblues
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:33 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-05 AT 08:36 PM (EST)]Very nice. I hope you had fun building it. You went with the Mojotone, correct?

Straightblues, if soundclick is working for you, I have a soundclip of my 5e3p (tweed soundclip). It is a slightly different circuit than a standard 5e3, it has 6L6s in fixed bias rather than 6V6s running in cathode bias, and it has a beefed up output tranny. It gives it a little more headroom, but the basic tone is still 5e3.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby j bird » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:44 am

>Looks really nice. Good work!!!!
>
>Who made your kit? How easy was it for a first timer? How
>many hours did you spend?
>
>Tell me about the tone. I am looking for an amp that I can
>play house parties with. I am looking for something that
>will deliver nice blues breakup at lower volumes than my 64'
>Blackface Deluxe which is 22 watts. The tweed 5E3 ciruit is
>suppose to put out between 12 and 15 from what I read. I am
>into traditional blues and West Coast style stuff. Would
>the 5E3 be good for me???

Thanks for the compliments! Well, I picked up my kit from mojotone.com and it basically consisted of all the parts (cab, chassis, hardware, and electronics) w/ basically the original fender layout and schematic so there are no real "instructions" to go by. I was lucky in that I borrowed a friends original tweed deluxe so I could use that as a reference. This was my first build as well and I still don't know much about what's actually going on inside that bugger :)

I took the amp out to a blues jam last night where the other player has your same amp (bf reissue) and mine was definitely on the edge just to keep up with it. As far as the character of the amp goes it breaks up a lot and has very little clean headroom when driven with a humbucking guitar. I personally like that sound but it's beyond the mild grit kinda distortion for sure. The original circuit calls for a 12ay7 in the first preamp slot but my kit came with two 12ax7's and I'm positive this has a ton to do with the early breakup. I need to try a 12ay7 in that first slot to see what it'll do. I have a good feeling it would be pretty much what your looking for but can't guarantee yet since I haven't tried it.

Overall, if your comfortable with wiring stuff up it's not that bad at all and there is quite a few sites on the web that have pictures and info about building 5e3's. You should check out webervst.com I think their kits are a little more detailed and the prices are certainly just right. I believe Guitarslim101 has built a couple of those. He kinda gave me the last push of inspiration to go for it myself :)
j bird
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:17 am

Very nice, J Bird! Way to go!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:58 am

>You should check out webervst.com I think their kits are a little more
>detailed and the prices are certainly just right. I believe
>Guitarslim101 has built a couple of those. He kinda gave me
>the last push of inspiration to go for it myself :)

I've built one of the weber kits and they are nice. They don't give any step-by-step instructions either, but they offer forum support and Ted is pretty helpful if you have any questions.

I've heard nice things about the Mission Amp kits, too. And I know Bruce from Mission Amps hangs around on this Tweed Deluxe forum: http://www.firebottle.com/fireforum/fir ... x&enter=go

If you look around on there, I believe they have some comparisons of kits from different companies.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby roy bluesboy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:38 pm

Nice work. I reckon I'm stupid cause I built a 5f1 kit and found it a little nerve rattling. Yeah, I'm sure the 12ay will make a HUGE difference in breakup. Cool to be able to play through something that you built yourself, ain't it? Roy BB
roy bluesboy
Regular

Postby trguitar » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:06 pm

That certainly is nice!
trguitar
Regular

Awsome

Postby slickcat » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:08 pm

Very nice build...good luck with it.
The 5e3 is my Favorite Blues Jam amp for small places. Definitely try a 12ay7 in the first pre-amp spot....it wont break up as quick....but it will be a little sweeter. A guitar w/single coils or P-90's will sound the best.
I have a Celestion Blue speaker in mine and its plenty loud.
Try some Brimar 6v6GTY tubes for some awsome tone.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Awsome

Postby slidnslim » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:39 am

Nice amp J bird,I bet that was alot of work! it looks just
like my old Fender two knob job! 6v6's in it I think
these small tube amps are great aren't they eh!

Kenny,
slidnslim
Regular

5e3 site

Postby slickcat » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:08 pm

Here is a link to 5e3 builders site...any info you need...these guys are the true experts!
http://www.firebottle.com/fireforum/fir ... x&enter=go
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues