Real Equipment Blues......

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Real Equipment Blues......

Postby mikedev » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:44 pm

Well the amp followed the tele & the dot on Sunday evening thanks to e-bay. I now just have my accoustic.

My life has changed dramatically this year and so I sold my gear for two reasons:
1. I need the money
2. I lost the urge to practice

I decided to follow the advice of my friends (and new partner) and have kept a guitar for those times when I really feel like playing again. Maybe one day I'll regain the urge to do a bit more than play alone in the spare room.

Mike
mikedev
Regular

RE: Real Equipment Blues......

Postby nizer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:23 pm

Been there Mike. These things have a cycle and sometimes you have to go back, way back, to the original state. Keep the acoustic - the Blues muse will strike again and you will be ready.
nizer
Regular

Postby david » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:56 pm

Keep in mind that there are several of us on the board that NEVER play outside a room by our selves. I know some folks think this is perverse and will make you go blind, but I like it!

I'd still love to find someone locally to jam with and learn with, but that hasn't happened. That doesn't decrease the pleasure I get from fooling around all by myself.

It could be, Grasshopper, that you are entering the most productive phase of your musical journey. You can't really develop your own taste, style and techniques playing what others want to hear the way others want to play it. You may be prime for a leap.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trguitar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:06 pm

Man, that's rough. Wish you the best. It's been 28 years and I have never lost the urge to play and 90% of that has been in my home. My guitars have always gotten me through the rough times. Just hang onto that acoustic cause the urge will hit again. I leave you with this quote from a Who song.

"You can walk, you can talk, you can fight
But inside you've got something to write
In your hand you hold your only friend
Never spend your guitar or your pen"
trguitar
Regular

Postby bluejay » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:25 pm

That's a wonderful quote, TR, and wonderful advice to heed.
bluejay
Regular

Postby nizer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:24 pm

>"You can walk, you can talk, you can fight
>But inside you've got something to write
>In your hand you hold your only friend

Rico, I think he means your Johnson.
nizer
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:55 pm

Mike: apparently you haven't been taking enough drugs; that's what happens when you get low on funds,lol! Best wishes,friend.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:00 am

>>In your hand you hold your only friend
>
>Rico, I think he means your Johnson.

Naw, he's not holding my Johnson.

Hang in there, Mike.

Nothing's wrong with playing alone in the spare room, anyway. I rather like it myself.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jaybee » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:32 am

>Well the amp followed the tele & the dot on Sunday evening
>thanks to e-bay. I now just have my accoustic.
>
>My life has changed dramatically this year and so I sold my
>gear for two reasons:
>1. I need the money
>2. I lost the urge to practice
>
>I decided to follow the advice of my friends (and new
>partner) and have kept a guitar for those times when I
>really feel like playing again. Maybe one day I'll regain
>the urge to do a bit more than play alone in the spare room.
>
>Mike

same problem here Mike - financial situation forced me to put my Tele Thinline '72RI and Blues Deville 4x10 up for sale. I am holding on to my Strat and Laney LC15 as I'm still playing, but am thinking about cleaning out the effects pedal drawer as well.

Hope things will get better soon for you and me and we'll be able to give in to GAS again in the near future ;)
jaybee
Regular

Postby stumblin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:59 am

Mike, this is all rather sad really.
Whatever you do, don't let go of the acoustic guitar you have left, you'll need that when you probably least expect it.
Practice when you feel like it, for best results don't force it.
Keep the faith bro :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby mikedev » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:04 pm

Thanks guys.

Funnily enough I've already picked up the accoustic a couple of times for a few minutes and I've been listening to a lot of music this year.

Anyway, Decree Nisi today!

Financial Dispute Resolution hearing on the 20th to hopefully agree the financial split if we don't do it before.

Mike
mikedev
Regular

Postby nizer » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:34 pm

>Anyway, Decree Nisi today!

Well congrats Mike, and good luck. That stuff can be brutal - I know. After going through a similar "series of unfortunate events" a few years ago, I wound up in a room with just my acoustic (all that was left when the smoke cleared) writing songs about it. If you have a notion, take a listen to "So Long Baby" and "Cradle To The Grave":

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=357126

I don't know your circumstances, but maybe you'll be able to relate...
nizer
Regular

Postby blues power » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:19 pm

I feel for ya dude. im just lucky i havent yet gotten to that "crossroad" when ever im depressed about playing i buy a new peice of gear. it does wonders for me. and the all the tweaking keeps my mind off the shoddy playing.
blues power
Regular

Postby trguitar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:05 am

>That's a wonderful quote, TR, and wonderful advice to heed.

It saved my life. I was 17 years old and had just dropped out of a private engineering school blowing my full ride. In hind sight maybe a year or two off to grow up would have been a good idea. My roommate had the new Who album with that song, played it constantly. After leaving school I bought the album. I had been trying to play guitar for a couple of years at that time, no lessons, self taught. All my friends were in college, I had to take a job as a janitor at the local hospital, things were not good. I turned to my guitar, a black Les Paul copy made by a company called "Bently". Next thing I know I can play the darn thing and I realised I can do anything I put my mind to. Back to college, this time paying the whole shot myself at a state school to be a nurse. My axe has got me through many a rough time. I'm sure it's the same for a lot of you here.
trguitar
Regular

Postby roy bluesboy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:32 pm

Thats tough, man. Sometimes we do what we gotta do to get by. Keeping the acoustic was smart though. Sometimes events that hurt and/or depress us the most can eventually give us a stronger love and appreciation of our music. When you dive back in it will feel fresh & somehow the equipment you stumble into after tough times just sounds better than the stuff you had before. I lost my dad to suicide almost 2 years ago & music is one of the things that have helped me through. I hope you have as good a holiday as possible. Happier times are ahead. Roy BB
roy bluesboy
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues