VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby grady » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:51 pm

Here's 3 recordings of my VOX ToneLAB LE using 3 different guitars

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=838011

Strat - Blues Tone (I cycled thru all of the pickup positions on this one starting with the Neck pickup and finishing with the Bridge pickup)

Ibanez Thin HollowBody - Boogie Tone (just a quick sample of my Boogie tones)

Ibanez Full-size HollowBody - Clean/Jazz Tone

These were recorded by plugging the VOX ToneLab LE straight into my PC.
I'll record a clip by miking my PA cabinets later to show how the VOX ToneLab LE sounds like a REAL Tube amp when using it thru a PA system.
User avatar
grady
Regular
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:55 am
Location: Duh, in front of the Computer

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby Derekslide » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:13 pm

grady wrote:Here's 3 recordings of my VOX ToneLAB LE using 3 different guitars

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=838011

Strat - Blues Tone (I cycled thru all of the pickup positions on this one starting with the Neck pickup and finishing with the Bridge pickup)

Ibanez Thin HollowBody - Boogie Tone (just a quick sample of my Boogie tones)

Ibanez Full-size HollowBody - Clean/Jazz Tone

These were recorded by plugging the VOX ToneLab LE straight into my PC.
I'll record a clip by miking my PA cabinets later to show how the VOX ToneLab LE sounds like a REAL Tube amp when using it thru a PA system.
Damn bro you rock really hard... I love the examples and I hope to hear more from you.
User avatar
Derekslide
Regular
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:03 am

Those all sound really great! I especially like the boogie tone. I'm interested to hear how it sounds when it's ran through some cabs.
User avatar
leftyguitarman
Regular
 
Posts: 3183
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 am
Location: Washington State

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby grady » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:42 am

Thanks guys !! :D


Lefty, here's a clip of what it sounds like miked.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=838011

Used my Strat for this one. I plugged the VOX ToneLab LE straight into Channels 2 & 3 of my Peavey XR600G Powered Mixer and Miked a single Mackie 15' PA Cabinet with a SHURE KSM109 which ran into a Mackie DFX-6 Mixer board that is connected to my PC
User avatar
grady
Regular
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:55 am
Location: Duh, in front of the Computer

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:04 am

Damn, that sounds pretty good. It really does sound like a tube amp. I'm really surprised.

Is there any better sound in the world than the sound of an overdriven tube amp? :lol:
User avatar
leftyguitarman
Regular
 
Posts: 3183
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 am
Location: Washington State

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby grady » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:47 am

leftyguitarman wrote:Damn, that sounds pretty good. It really does sound like a tube amp. I'm really surprised.

Is there any better sound in the world than the sound of an overdriven tube amp? :lol:


Nope, none better.
The VOX ToneLab LE uses a 12AX7 Tube as both a Pre-amp & Power amp.

I suppose I could've miked it a little better. It still doesn't sound as good on the recording as it does in person.
It's sound is big, thick & full.

I've only had it about 3 weeks so, I'm still learning about it and still tweaking it.
User avatar
grady
Regular
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:55 am
Location: Duh, in front of the Computer

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby jaybee » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:23 am

sounds nice!

maybe I should get one of those in the shop, that'd give me the opportunity to check it out for myself... (uhOOH!!! here we go again!!! 8) :roll: GAS-attack incoming!!! 8) )
User avatar
jaybee
Regular
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:53 am
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby grady » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks JayBee,

I should've used 2 mics on the PA Cabinet, one for the Woofer and one for the driver.
Maybe I'll record another clip later this week.
User avatar
grady
Regular
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:55 am
Location: Duh, in front of the Computer

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby jaybee » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:15 am

grady wrote:Thanks JayBee,

I should've used 2 mics on the PA Cabinet, one for the Woofer and one for the driver.
Maybe I'll record another clip later this week.


Grady,

that might prove harder to mix to the sound you actually hear "live" than you think! Since we never listen to the woofer & driver separately anyway, a quicker way to get the "live sound" result would be to put 2 mics in X with the membranes at "ear distance" away from each other. Check the room where you think the guitar sound is best, put the mics there, and record panned hard left & right - that way you record "exactly" what you hear.

you can hear some examples on http://www.bluezet.tk - go to the demo page, this is the whole band recorded in one take, using this technique

jO
User avatar
jaybee
Regular
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:53 am
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby Troubleman » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Grady-dood - you just might be on to something here!
A buddy of mine has the full amp; it produces some great sounds.
I was a bit skeptical of the "lab" iteration, but you seem to have gotten it by the horns fairly well

Post more!

pEAcE,
jb
User avatar
Troubleman
Regular
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:38 pm
Location: Remulon V Beta Colony

Re: VOX ToneLAB LE Sound Clips

Postby grady » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:10 am

Thanks guys,

As you can hear, even though the Tonelab LE is loaded with effects, I don't go nuts with them.
I'm just trying to get a simple great tone.

I don't have much need for a ton of effects, I just want my Guitar to sound good.
User avatar
grady
Regular
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:55 am
Location: Duh, in front of the Computer


Return to Equipment Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests