Epiphone Valve Amp line

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Epiphone Valve Amp line

Postby grady » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:39 pm

My Local Music store got some of the Epi Tube Amps in so,,I went by there to try them out.

They didn't have a Jr. Model but,,they did have the "Valve Special" and "Valve Standard".

I didn't care for the Special because it just didn't have any "Bass" to it at all.
Turning the Bass knob made very little difference.

On the other hand,,the "Valve Standard" is an amazing little Amp.
It has a huge tone and a much better sound.

Needless to say,,,I brought a Epiphone Valve Standard home.
grady
Regular

RE: Epiphone Valve Amp line

Postby moreb » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:30 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-05 AT 09:36 PM (EST)]I've got one with some tubes from Bob at Eurotubes and a Weber speaker and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread or pockets on shirts. I dont care for the DSP effects but the reverb is excellent for the price.....I hate to say it but I play the Epiphone more often at home than I do my Winfield Thomas...For the money you cannot go wrong on this amp!
moreb
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:02 am

Your very right.

and for $300.00,,,you're not gonna find a better amp.

Here's mine with my Es20ce

grady
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:14 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-05 AT 04:16 AM (EST)]Gosh Grady, what a great picture! Looks like they were 'made for each other'. Does this mean that the Delphi will 'really be for sale' as you've threatened for some time? And are you going to put a Schatten in the ES20CE?

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:04 am

No,,I'm not going to do anything else to the ES-20,,that guitar is absolutely perfect just the way it is.

Still debating on whether to sell the Delphi.
My Wife really loves that Guitar.
She just thinks it's pretty.

As for Me??
Here's my favorite Reso's

grady
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:45 pm

Ooops .. didn't see this, asked you about this in another thread Grady. I got the Special and was curious how they compared. My Special has plenty of bass for me, but I play a different variety of music through different guitars. Heck, I got my Tube Screamer in front of mine and have it set to brighten my tone up some. I wonder how much that 12" speaker had to do with it also. I'm running my Special through a 4 x 12 cab with a closed back. Do you think that extra low end thump is coming from that second poweramp tube the Standard has? More powerful amps of all kinds seem to have more depth and low end for some reason. I hope you are happy with it. I think you will be.
trguitar
Regular

Postby grady » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:21 pm

I don't know what it is but,,,the Standard just sounds like a totally different amp.

I took my ES20 with me because I figured that if I can plug a Reso straight into it and get a great tone,,it'll work with anything.
grady
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:26 pm

I don't think even the little Valve Junior is deficient in bass, but it does have a bright tone. That's to be expected with an 8" speaker in a small open-backed cabinet. Low frequencies will come around the sides of the cabinet and cancel out what's coming out the front.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:29 am

Well,,,if you play the Valve Special and the Valve Standard side by side,,,there is a HUGE difference.

I can only guess that with the Valve Jr being smaller than the Valve Special,,,that it sounds about like the Valve Special.

The Valve Standard is one of the best sounding
amps I've heard in a long time.
grady
Regular

Postby trey » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:55 pm

"I've got one with some tubes from Bob at Eurotubes and a Weber speaker and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread or pockets on shirts. I dont care for the DSP effects but the reverb is excellent for the price.....I hate to say it but I play the Epiphone more often at home than I do my Winfield Thomas...For the money you cannot go wrong on
this amp!"

The Epiphone Valve line ships with unlabeled Weber Ceramic speakers stock ...
trey
Regular

Postby moreb » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:36 pm

Grady, I read your 1st post after a few PBR's so forgive me if I correct myself.....I have the Valve Special.....The reason I put the Eurotubes and Weber Speaker in it was to give it a little more in the pants if you know what I mean.

Yes I have heard that they come with an unlabeld Weber in them but not the BEST Weber for the amp according to Ted
moreb
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:35 pm

It's still a mighty fine sounding little speaker. Mine's not going to get changed unless it blows up.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby moreb » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:45 pm

Another observation......Last night I played my Les Paul copy through the little Valve Special for the 1st time....It sounded like CRAP! I was thinking it had given up the ghost or something terrible had happend. I plugged in the Telecaster and all was right with the world again...The difference in sound between the two guitars amazed me....
moreb
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:35 am

That would be a tube amp for you. They tend to bring out the individuality in your guitar. Some guitars will sound better than others and some amps will go better with certain guitars.
trguitar
Regular

Postby savage » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:20 am

just tried the valve standard today and I liked the sound of it. Real warm tone even when you put the distortion up quite a bit. The amp has a real low-key sound to it.
savage
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues