Peavey 30 Classic Disposable..?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Peavey 30 Classic Disposable..?

Postby jeffl » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:58 pm

After owning my Classic 30,and playin' harp thru it,for about 5 years,I finally read the Harmony Central reviews. It looks like if anything goes wrong with it in the printed circuits,I might have to throw it away and buy somethin' else. So far,I haven't had any trouble with it at all,and I like it,but it was good to see the "heads ups" on there. Apparently the printed part of the circuitry is on a board that's tri-folded up into the circuit chassis. Fascinating!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Peavey 30 Classic Disposable..?

Postby grady » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:04 am

What you've heard is very true.

if that thing breaks,,might as well throw it in the trash after you salvage as many useable parts as you can.

The Peavey Tube amps are all like that.
grady
Regular

Postby blues power » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:07 pm

it really not disposable but taking into consideration todays cost of parts and bench shop rates it'll prob cost like $200-250 plus tax (excluding tube jobs and re-biasing which is cheaper) for an average repair. it would prob be more cost effective just to get a new one.

can you post soe tunes im interesting in hearing how a harp sounds thru that amp. thanks
blues power
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:05 am

That amp doesn't have adjustable bias. It's a waste of money to pay a tech to retube that thing. Buy tubes and put 'em in yourself when it needs it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:10 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-05 AT 09:19 AM (EST)]It's the printed circuitry that causes the probs on the amp anyway; there's been a little bitchin' about gettin' tubes in and out of the thing,and the lack of a tube protector on the early ones,but no big deal. I found a website where there's 54 pages of mods, and it reads like a journey through middle earth,since the guy apparently took his 30 apart about 20 times during his explorations. The biggest pain in the butt is apparently the tendency of the flexible leads to the circuit board snapping off when the board is retrieved from its lair and unbent. But, he does talk about how to prevent that from happening again. I like the amp alot,and would consider it worthwhile to repair,or replace. It's a s.s. rectifier,too. Once I replaced the first 12ax7 with a 12at7 for the preamp,I could push it a little for harp,and it's a much better amp for me. BTW,I have no way presently of posting tunes,since I don't even have either a mic,or recording software installed on my computer. All I can tell you is that I never use the gain button on the thing,cuz it'll feed back too fast on stage,and unless the amp is pushed, it's way too clean for Chicago style harp. Before I switched the first tube, I could only play it at about 3,or 4,max; now,I can push it to 7 or 8 anytime,and sometimes more,depending on the surroundings. I own a Fender Champ,which I just got for a practice amp,and the Peavey has alot more presence than the stock '78 Silverface,but it's not quite as dirty.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tomatocan » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:12 am

Hmm..I just got a used Classic 20 a week or two ago, and it sounded great. I used it in the studio and got the best tone I've ever gotten on record, but the last few times I've plugged into it, It sounds fine, but then it sort of freaks out. It'll make this huge noise that sounds like what happens when you touch the end of your cable..except louder..much. I figured it was maybe the guitar, a pedal or a cable, but it seems its the amp. Maybe this has to do with the same thing.. I hope not, because I've only been able to play it a handful of times.

Pat
_____

http://www.tomatocanmusic.com
tomatocan
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues