EPI Valve Standard Amp

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

RE: EPI Valve Standard Amp

Postby roy bluesboy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:10 pm

Hey Zaita, The blues jr. is VERY overated & overpriced imo and the pro jr sounds better but has limited clean headroom with stock tubes. The valve jr defintely wouldnt work for playing out and has even less clean headroom than the pro jr. If you can find them both in one store the pro jr & valve standard are worth comparing. I found the valve standard to have a larger sound than the pro jr - this can probably be attributed to the larger cabinet as much as the larger speaker. I liked the fact that the standard had a master volume as well but they are both great amps for the money. Congratulations on the guitar find as well. Roy
roy bluesboy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:02 pm

Depends on where you're playing out. The Valve Junior's plenty loud, clean, for a little club like Java J's in downtown Bristol. Grady played that club with his Pro Junior, and it was turned way down. A typical 5W amp's about as loud as a trumpet player can toot.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:39 am

Yeh,,I agree.

I recently used my Fender Pro Jr. for two gis with a band that has another Guitarist who uses a Marshall.

Un-miked,,,I never got the Pro Jr. above 3 1/2 on the Volume.
grady
Regular

Postby roy bluesboy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:23 pm

Hey Rico, its obvious to me that the situation you and Grady are using as a reference is with guys who use subtelty, nuance & dynamics. I have seldom played at open jams where I thought the valve jr would have kept up because these qualities are rarely present. In a perfect world, I dont think more than 15-18 watts are needed live. (although after playing the epi stuff I plugged my jt-30 into a bassman and fell in love). My observation is based on MY experience in a variety of live situations. While I have found 5watts w/a harp to be aplenty in most situations I am usually competing against guitars/blues deluxes turned to 4&1/2 -6. The Valve jr would simply not stand up to that live & unmiked with a guitar. My recomendations to Zaita are based on choosing an amp that is versatile & clean at substantial stage volumes. Also I take into account her stepping down from a 100 watt twin - her definition of "clean" is liable to be a little different than yours or mine. Roy BB
roy bluesboy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:26 pm

Yep. Too many guitarists play way too loud all the time, with no concept of dynamics.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby trguitar » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:35 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-05 AT 04:37 PM (EST)]On a related note, I think I have a solution for my Epiphone Valve woes. As you may or may no know, my digital effects and reverb just quit on my Valve Special about 3 months after purchasing it. Yep, 5 year warranty but nearest dealer is $40 worth of gas away and would take 2 trips, one drop off one pickup. Not about to spend $80 for warranty work on a $200 amp. The amp plays just fine, just no reverb or effects. Even looked inside hoping the digital stuff was on a seperate board and maybe I could con Epiphone into sending me one to fix myself. No such luck, the amp, preamp and effects are all one large board. At this moment I have a cheap @$$ed Arion digital delay pedal headed to my house. $29 from Musicians Friend, plastic case and all. From the reviews I've read it sounds good, just don't expect the plastic to take a beating but it is for home use. All I want it for is a touch of reverb or maybe a little slapback. Maybe in the end I'll have even better sound. Wish me luck!

Oh, late edit, I can't stand looking at the DSP and Reverb controls knowing they don't work. My daughter's fiance gave me a little KISS sticker that says KISS My Ass. It fit perfectly. LMAO
trguitar
Regular

Postby savage » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:08 am

>Yep. Too many guitarists play way too loud all the time,
>with no concept of dynamics.
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Long ago I came to the conclusion that many people play loud to "substitute" the substance of what theyre actually playing. The only situation I can understand high volume output is outdoors at a big festival. Even then you dont need the volume THAT high for people to hear you.
savage
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:52 am

Got my cheapie digital delay pedal today, amp sounds better than ever and I got more control over my reverb/delay. I guess things worked out. :)
trguitar
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues