Street busking gear inquiry?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Street busking gear inquiry?

Postby Derekslide » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:58 pm

I'm going to go ahead and street busk this summer and I want to know what gear to buy so I can play my electric on the street?

I'm thinking this.

1.Car battery charger.
2.Car Battery.
3.60 Watt Roland Cube
4.500-1000 watt power inverter.
5.a little cart that I can tote the stuff around in.

What do you think? and will it work?
Derekslide
Regular

Re: Street busking gear inquiry?

Postby Lawson » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:07 pm

Sounds like a good idea. It would be neat if they made some sort of solar powered amp.

I'm planning the same thing for next summer in tourist country, except with a reso of course.
Lawson
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Lawson wrote:Sounds like a good idea. It would be neat if they made some sort of solar powered amp.

I'm planning the same thing for next summer in tourist country, except with a reso of course.
:)

I may bring my reso as well, But I'm just wondering if I have all the right gear on my list?

I've seen a guy at Saint Augustine do this exact set up but I'm not too sure what amp he used with his telly.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 pm

I'd suggest instead a small battery powered amp like a Pignose, or a Roland Microcube.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:27 pm

ricochet wrote:I'd suggest instead a small battery powered amp like a Pignose, or a Roland Microcube.
Thank you Ric, I've been looking at the micro cube but how does it sound?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:22 am

Sounds pretty good to me. I'd like to have one.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:24 am

ricochet wrote:Sounds pretty good to me. I'd like to have one.
Very cool,

Can you give me your Honest opinion do I sound good enough to street busk?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:29 am

Derek, if you're looking at it as an opportunity to go out and have fun playing in a public place, sure. Don't expect to make a bunch of money or be surrounded by adoring fans. If someone stops for a moment, listens and smiles before moving on, that's a success. If someone passes by and says "You suck, man!," well, that's just part of it, too. Let it roll off. If somebody actually tosses a quarter in your case, that's a real win!
ricochet
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:33 am

ricochet wrote:Derek, if you're looking at it as an opportunity to go out and have fun playing in a public place, sure. Don't expect to make a bunch of money or be surrounded by adoring fans. If someone stops for a moment, listens and smiles before moving on, that's a success. If someone passes by and says "You suck, man!," well, that's just part of it, too. Let it roll off. If somebody actually tosses a quarter in your case, that's a real win!
Your right Rico it's all for the "FUN of it" and this is what I want to do it for.

I'm going to be in it for experience and fun only and hopefully in the time I'm going to be playing I will at least get a penny and I will hang it up on the wall.
Last edited by Derekslide on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:35 am

That's a great attitude. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:45 am

Thanks rico.

I will only street busk for about 2 hours though unless I can find shade :P

And have you ever busked?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:38 am

You could try just playing your reso at first, until you get your confidence up. And it is less to haul around.

I had a Pignose and a Micro Cube at one time. It is really all about what you are looking for. The Pignose amps don't really overdrive at all. You may need to bring a pedal if you want that. The Micro Cubes are incredible. They have a lot of features, even a tuner.

Personally, I'd go with the cube. You are getting more bang for your buck. The only downfall of the amp was that it buzzed like crazy on the acoustic setting, but you won't be using that right?
bignick
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:53 pm

bignick wrote:You could try just playing your reso at first, until you get your confidence up. And it is less to haul around.

I had a Pignose and a Micro Cube at one time. It is really all about what you are looking for. The Pignose amps don't really overdrive at all. You may need to bring a pedal if you want that. The Micro Cubes are incredible. They have a lot of features, even a tuner.

Personally, I'd go with the cube. You are getting more bang for your buck. The only downfall of the amp was that it buzzed like crazy on the acoustic setting, but you won't be using that right?
Right and thanks for the help Nick.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Slim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:34 pm

Believe me, no matter what level you play at, if you busk in any large music type city there will be somebody much worse and somebody much better! Just go have fun. I never really busked but would play my guitars on my stoop or with my door open and I had a crowd gather a few times...It is a great feeling! Also had somebody holler "You Suck!" so it evens out. Also played in the park..etc. Hell, thats what I loved about NOLA. There was music everywhere. It did suck if you go caught performing on the street for money and did not have a license. Like a 500 dollar fine. As long as you were on Frenchmen it was usually cool but in the quarter they were bitches about it. I carried my guitar a few times and played there just never put a hat out and turned down a tip once....I was doing it to overcome my fear and for my own enjoyment anyway.

Jimmy Buffet said the best way to make money on the street is to learn ONE song and just play it all day cuz the people are never there for long anyway. LOL!
Slim
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:39 pm

Slim wrote:Believe me, no matter what level you play at, if you busk in any large music type city there will be somebody much worse and somebody much better! Just go have fun. I never really busked but would play my guitars on my stoop or with my door open and I had a crowd gather a few times...It is a great feeling! Also had somebody holler "You Suck!" so it evens out. Also played in the park..etc. Hell, thats what I loved about NOLA. There was music everywhere. It did suck if you go caught performing on the street for money and did not have a license. Like a 500 dollar fine. As long as you were on Frenchmen it was usually cool but in the quarter they were bitches about it. I carried my guitar a few times and played there just never put a hat out and turned down a tip once....I was doing it to overcome my fear and for my own enjoyment anyway.

Jimmy Buffet said the best way to make money on the street is to learn ONE song and just play it all day cuz the people are never there for long anyway. LOL!
Hey I like that quote from jimmy, By the way slim I've never made it made it to Nola, but there was a few fella's in Saint Augustine fl that busked and they played one thing all time we took the tour and I'm very excited.

I do know the entertainers permit is only like $15 so I will go ahead and buy that at the end of the winter.

And guys I don't know why but as soon as I've started playing my baby the SG I became hell of a lot better? Is this in my mind or is it the power of an SG?
Derekslide
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues