STRAP LOCKS

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

STRAP LOCKS

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:19 pm

At the last gig my strap came loose near the end of a song. I had to kneel down to finish the song out. I put strap locks on both basses since. They are cool but what to do with the cord? Before the cord was held between the strap and the body but with these locks there's about 1/2 inch gap between the strap and body now. I pondered this delimma for a few days and found what I think will work. I got a rubber o ring that's just a bit smaller than the strap lock end pin on the guitar, I ran my cord thru it and then stretched it over the end pin. So far I think it will work. I have a gig Saturday night where I'll find out. The o ring stays on the cord just fine, I use a 90 degree jack on the bass and a straight into the amp. I'm excited to let loose on stage. Before I was concerned about the straps coming off and dropping the guitar but not no more. I'm already thinking of "show off" stunts I can do.
I use cords because the wireless I have tried tend to drop the "balls" right out of my tone. Anybody use a wireless with no balls drop?
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: STRAP LOCKS

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:49 pm

I tried the "o-ring" Saturday night and it held my cord out of the way like a champ. The fill in drummer even tripped over my cord with little yank on the guitar. The strap locks are very cool. That 1/2 inch gap between the strap and the bass body kept my hair from getting pulled. My hair would get trapped between the strap and the body and pull it. No more pulling so that's a good thing.
I guess there are no wireless bass systems that don't drop the balls huh? I didn't think there was.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:26 am

There are wireless systems for bass around. Sampson and Shure make dedicated bass systems. Nady and Audio-Technica have multi-use systems that they say are suitable for bass.

Mr Google can be your friend!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:30 am

I too enjoy the strap locks, I have two basses that came with them. I am looking for a bass/guitar strap for people who play sitting down. The strap I am looking for looks almost like a shoulder holster for a magnum. I have seen the system twice but I am unable to locate it on the net. Maybe they are a custom order. What I like about the strap is it holds the guitar just off the lap which looks like it would give a player a little more freedom of movement while sitting on a stool, ie leg movement , ass falling asleep , etc. I do fine with a basic strap but would like to try one of the others . Ever seen one?
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:26 pm

I've seen them advetised in Bass Player magazine. I'll check when I get home and let you know tomorrow.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:53 pm

Thank you sir
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:35 pm

http://www.slider-straps.com
1-800-237-7419

SLIDER DUAL SHOULDER STRAP
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby Slim » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Man thats like wearing a belt and suspenders! LOL! I have an Ibanez Bass with those Pain in ass afflicted looking V strap knobs and man it takes work to get the strap on but it sure stays there.....
Slim
Regular

Postby mike932 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:45 am

Thanks Bigdaddy, that is the strap. I have a problem standing while I play, and playing sitting becomes uncomfortable after awhile due to pressure on the gut cancer. I have problems playing the harp due to using stomach muscles and the diaphram , but I have a friend working on locating a supportive plastic stomach plate which some athletes use. If I keep putting on all of these gadgets I will look like Robo Cop while jamming.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:31 pm

Sounds like getting ready for game day. I used to wear running shoes, real padded but when I got home from a gig my feet hurt so bad. The day after a Friday night gig I was driving regretting having to do it again that night when I started to analize what I was doing. In the padded shoes my feet were moving and flexing all the time even when I was standing still swaying with my bass on. I went to a farm store right then and bought some cowboy boots, wore them that Saturday night and my feet ache went away. My feet get tired but not sore. My first gig in the boots I was walking strange. I've had nothing but tennis' on all my life. I'm sure marians from outrspace walked like I was walking. I am getting better tho.
You said gut cancer, is that for real? Let me know when you get to looking like Iron Man and I'll make a trip to Boise for one of your gigs.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:26 pm

Yes the gut cancer is real, been fighting it for about five years , no big thing, chemo zapped it down a bit. I like the iron man description. In regards to shoes , I went from overpadded athletic shoes to Converse high tops, they work great for foot fatigue. Cowboy boots really help with support, I wear them with dress clothes.
mike932
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom