Marshall, Mesa, or Fender?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

RE: Marshall, Mesa, or Fender?

Postby herb_ransburg » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:37 pm

Well, I just had to splurge and get the Bassman! Tweed is in and so is the brown cover! Sound is just unreal - even to these novice ears of mine. I got a deal at the local GuitarCenter on a new one right out of the box. Lost box saved me a couple of bucks. I was in the store about 3 days before looking at the DeVille/Deluxe line, plus a Blonde Blues Jr the had gotten in. After kicking tires elsewhere around town, I returned to TGC and there it was, a '59 Bassman. I am still playing with the set up with with all the ladies one at time. I could do this for the next month and never get bored!

Keep you posted.

(Next Christmas: Classic Acoustic Amp!)
herb_ransburg
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:03 pm

Herb,
I purchased a new Reissue Blues Deluxe about 2 months ago. If you are looking for a clean full sounding amp for jazz and blues this one is your baby. The clean channel is sweeeet. The overdrive channel does not really give you an over the top overdrive but at higher volume is not too bad. I am using a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive pedal in front for lower volume.
Don't waste your money on a Marshall. All they are good for is screaming distorted guitar. I have owned and dumped 2 of them. Am not real familiar with Boogie but the ones I have heard sound decent but overdriven...
deltablues57
Regular

Postby tomatocan » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:15 am

I'm personally a Fender guy. Now I've got a Super Reverb, a silverfaced Twin Reverb, and a Bassman, and I swear by them. They sound great whether I use a thinner sounding strat or a fatter sounding Les Paul or 335. They're really versatile amps. In that lower price range the Deville series are awsome. I think they just reissued the Blues Deluxe, which is great for any type of blues (and just bout any other style). IMO Fender's the way to go for blues..just my $.02

_____

http://www.tomatocanmusic.com
tomatocan
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am

The '59 Bassman is my favorite "Large" amp of all-time.
grady
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:24 am

I can use just one amp, but I don't like to. The Fender Bassman 4x10 is my favorite though. I put 2 Jensens and 2 EV 300 watt bass speakers in mine. Most of the time I use it with a Peavey Classic 50 4x10. I seem to have gravitated to 10's over the years. For blues, those 2 tweeds seem to do it for me.

I also have a Fender Pro Reverb II (1x12), a Marshall 80 watt 1x12, a 100 watt Marshall w/ a 4x10 cab, a Behringer V-Tone 2x10 modeller amp. The Fender/Behringer/Peavey seem very versatile. The Marshalls only know how to do a couple things. They do those things very well... but seem limited. I've come to feel the same way about some of my guitars too. Some just feel better tone-wise, for certain things. Recording makes it more evident to me sometimes. When you're looking for certain sounds, tones. The Behringer V-Tone was a big surprise for the money. It was on sale for like $149. Lots of bang for the buck there and it is an amp that'll do about anything.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Herb..

Postby slickcat » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:27 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-06 AT 12:27 PM (EST)] Good luck with your new Bassman...They sound great. Give us some clips we would love to hear it.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues