Buzzing fret

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Buzzing fret

Postby spud camp » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:30 pm

This morning in my practice session I noticed a buzzing on string 3 (up from bottom) on the 7th fret. I dont understand why that would be the only string affected if it was a bad fret. I admit that due to lack of finances, I am WAY past due for new strings. Could old strings cause this, or is it the fret? If it is the fret can you repair it?
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Buzzing fret

Postby gcd revue » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:33 pm

Take a look at the fret...see if it's noticeably worn or notched. But, yes, a worn-out string will do that, too. If a string change doesn't take care of it, you might be due for a fret job (either crowning, if they're not too low already, or replacement, which can be hideously expensive). In any case, strings are the cheap part. Try that first. And good luck.

Semper fi,
gcd revue
Regular

Postby slickcat » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:18 pm

What kind of guitar is it? If you fret it at the 7th and it buzzes it could be the fret is worn....you can tell if it has a groove in it or.. a fret higher up the neck is too tall and needs to be leveled. If the guitar has adjustable saddles you may need to raise the saddle a bit on that string.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby panhead74 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:14 pm

Here's a site that is worth checking:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier ... intro.html
panhead74
Regular

Postby trguitar » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:37 am

How's the relief on your neck? I'd check to see if that's straight also. How about your action? Has that changed any? All things to check and they don't cost anything.
trguitar
Regular

Postby cllvt » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:54 am

>This morning in my practice session I noticed a buzzing on
>string 3 (up from bottom) on the 7th fret. I dont understand
>why that would be the only string affected if it was a bad
>fret. I admit that due to lack of finances, I am WAY past
>due for new strings. Could old strings cause this, or is it
>the fret? If it is the fret can you repair it?

Hey Spud,

Don't know if you have this straightened out yet, but on another forum I saw someone with similar problems arising and it was suggested that he keep the guitar in the case for a while with one of those little guitar humidifiers in it. The thinking being wood movement due to drying during the winter being that cause. I believe this cleared up his problem.
Chris
cllvt
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:26 pm

Is the string wound? The winding can get flattenened on the back, I've had that one. A temporary fix is to slack it off and twist it round to an undamaged face.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby spud camp » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:45 pm

Yeah it was wound. I replaced the strings and the buzzing stopped, I think you might have nailed the problem. I replaced it with Martin acoustics strings .12-.52 and they suck, but oh well now I know not to by Martin strings. I always play Red Headed Step Child strings and loved them, but the martins were on sale. Now I know why, LOL.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues