Stage Fright and Performance Anxieties- Tips and Techniques

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Re: Stage Fright and Performance Anxieties- Tips and Techniques

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:38 pm

ricochet wrote:Something I was recently amazed to learn is that the Swiss drink socially on the rifle range.

If I went to a shooting range and saw someone with beer, I would get the hell out.

When I was a bit younger and I went to the hunting safety course, the last test was to shoot some clay pigeons and I was a bit scared because some of the people looked and acted like they had never held a gun before. I get nervous around people with guns unless I know they are experienced with them.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:37 pm

I agree.

Apparently over there they sell both beer and wine at the ranges, and it's not uncommon for someone to have a bottle of wine over the course of a shooting day. They don't just chug it down and start flinging lead. Still, that's not the way we do it here.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Slim » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Apparently you have never been to a redneck deer camp in a state that still allows hunting with dogs! LOL!
Slim
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:46 pm

Slim wrote:Apparently you have never been to a redneck deer camp in a state that still allows hunting with dogs! LOL!

Been camping with my family. Sounds about the same.

My uncle and my cousin always do stupid things to each other. I mean, really stupid. Anyways, we were fishing and camping one time and my uncle reeled in this really nice four or five pound rainbow trout, and he's got it on the beach. My drunk cousin walks over and picks up his 12ga and shoots the fish at point blank and then goes and sits down. I walked back to the campsite real quick. Guns and alcohol are an awful combination.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:10 am

Redneck hunters with alcohol are something I want to keep far, far away from.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bournio » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:14 am

There's an archery club in the northwest with a licensed bar... Though I think they'll only let you have a half or a pint, or maybe not even drink till afterwards
Bournio
Regular

Postby Waynecrazytrain » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:59 am

I've always found that if you can make it though the first set, the rest is downhill. After 12:00 am. the Mojo starts to flow.
Waynecrazytrain
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:12 am

yeh, I would say what I have seen you are correct. Plus I think it snows alot after midnite in alot of the music joints I hung out at if you know what I mean....
Slim
Regular

Postby MOJOE » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:14 am

Use to Jam alot at Johnny Di's in Somerville, Ma. Funny, I would be nervous as hell sitting waiting to go up. My hands would be sweating. Once my name was called and I got up there I was as calm as could be. I felt good, like I belonged there. I was the same giving speeches in front of the class in school. Nervous til they called my name, then confident and relaxed. I don't know!! :P
MOJOE
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:59 pm

Shot o' tequila chased by a cold bottled beer always worked for me.
wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:19 am

1 x whisky, to open up capillaries in the fingers which close down under the influence of adrenalin. Nothing more usually until after. Then, where appropriate, I do the job properly.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Slim » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:33 pm

Maxx--nice to have an explanation for why a shot of Jameson works so well !!
Slim
Regular

Postby bigdaddyguitar » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:20 am

Gotta tell ya man , I've been playing gigs for years ( way too many !!!) ,lots of bars and nightclubs , and one thing I've noticed is that nobody in the audience has any clue as to what is going on on stage . You can have a Major fuck up and nobody catches it . Everybodys worried about meeting babes, and getting laid .and drinking . The only one that catches it is my wife , only because shes heard these songs a million times . Take a break and everybody comes up to you and says it sounds so good . Go figure . I know I screwed up , but they don't. So fuck 'em . Get up there and have fun . Most of it is attitude , your entertaining a bunch of drunks .
bigdaddyguitar
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:59 pm

Ah, I've been doing Zen meditation so long I only need a couple minutes to totally get in tune, mentally. It's a really nice skill to have for so much more than guitar. Knowing yourself and your place in the world, and being at peace with it, is extremely liberating.

That said, I do like a beer or two before I play, but not to inebriation. When I was young we used to play so massively smashed, I can hardly believe we had so many fans. One famous gig the guitarist and I (I was on bass at the time) were leaning back-to-back to be able to stand up. After the gig I walked out the door and passed out in a snowbank.

So...yeah, I have a distinct lack of memories that keeps me sober (ish) these days! But a good rule if you do like the booze...you only have to be slightly more sober than your audience to pull off a good show!
CashWiley
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs