Remember the Buck Owens Guitars?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Remember the Buck Owens Guitars?

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:31 am

The cheap old red, white and blue acoustics Sears used to sell?

Well, they're back: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=235167

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

RE: Remember the Buck Owens Guitars?

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:45 am

I've been takin care of Buck's horses for years and the tight old fart has been promisin me a signed one fer almost as many years! I WILL prevail! His club "Crystal Palace" is 6 miles from me and not only do they have good acts, the food is damn good too! Best concert I've seen there was Willie Nelson and Leon Russell along w/ Willies harp player Mickey Raphael (purdy sure thats his name). We were 10 feet from the stage!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:27 pm

>I've been takin care of Buck's horses for years and the
>tight old fart has been promisin me a signed one fer almost
>as many years!

I'd like to have a signed horse, too.

But, seriously, I remember watching him play that guitar on Hee Haw when I was a kid.

Back when I worked for a large animal vet we did the work for a local cutting horse trainer. He had a horse in that was owned by the guy that played Batman in the movie, Keaton I think. That horse wasn't signed, either.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:40 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-05 AT 11:40 AM (EST)]>Back when I worked for a large animal vet we did the work for a local cutting horse trainer. He had a horse in that was owned by the guy that played Batman in the movie, Keaton I think. That horse wasn't signed, either.

Yep, Michael Keaton shows cutters! I was at the west coast finals a couple years ago and met him. He's a sawed off lil chit bout 5'6 so I reckon he had to wear platform shoes to play Batman!
Lotta celebrities are into cutting horses... Joe Montana from the 49'ers, Brooks and Dunn, one of the Bellamy Brothers and AJ from the old TV series Simone and Simone. The nice thing is that the ones I've met have all been just regular Joes!
I was at a ranch workin one day when Buck came to buy a horse.... he rolls up in his rag top Bentley w/ a driver and proceeds to hammer this poor gal about the price of the horse. She was given him a hellava deal to begin with and he still tried to chisel her down another 1000 bucks! I guess that's how he got so wealthy!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:59 pm

A local guy here owns one of the George Barris Batmobiles from the '60s TV show. Used to get it out for parades and such, but it hasn't been shown in years.

ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:54 pm

he rolls up in his rag top Bentley w/ a driver and
>proceeds to hammer this poor gal about the price of the
>horse. She was given him a hellava deal to begin with and he
>still tried to chisel her down another 1000 bucks!

Sounds like a born horse trader. It wouldn't matter how cheap the horse was going for, or how good the horse was, if you couldn't talk them down on the price, it wasn't a good deal.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:25 pm

Oh man, I LOVE Buck Owens. Many years ago, my guitar teacher loaned me one of those signature teles they made of his awhile back, where it was all sparkley red white and blue and looked like a carnival ride. I had no idea who he was, but I thought "if he plays this guitar, he MUST be cool." And he is! "close up the honky tonks" and "A-11" have gotta be on my list of best country songs ever. Next time you see him, tell him to come play in New Jersey! :)
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby trguitar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:32 pm

My neighbors horses are right across the fence from my yard. Think I'm gonna go over and sign a couple of them tonight, in case I get famous. Think I'll take the batmobile. Seriously though, make that cheap SOB sign you a guitar. Ragtop Bentley? Hardly pictured that for an old country guy. Maybe a Caddy with horns mounted on the front or something. Stretch limo made out of a pickup truck maybe. How about a Winnebago that says "The Good Ole Boys" on the side? We don't have celeberties up here. (extreme northern New York on Canadian border) One time Dan Akroyd got pulled over by the police on his way to open a House of Blues. (He is from Ottawa Canada, an hour horth of here) His speeding ticket made all the local newspapers. Would you write Elwood Blues a ticket? Wonder if his address was Wrigley Field? His quote when informed he was speeding? "It's your highway officer."
trguitar
Regular

Postby david » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:17 pm

If you're going to sign the neighbor's horses, do it with Nair.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:02 pm

Nah, it's getting cold. Some Miss Clairol "Moonglow Blonde" or some such oughta work. Unless they're palominos.

ricochet
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:08 pm

I bought one of the Buck Owens guitars from Ray Henning's Heart of Texas Music when they first came out (around 1970). The best I remember I paid around $120 for it with a hardshell case. It had very little bottom end but I thought it looked cool.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:14 pm

Well, they do look cool. Somebody was saying on another thread that the Silvertone guitars and amps were crappy, and perhaps they were, but there's something to be said for retro stuff nevertheless. If it makes you smile, that's all that counts.

ricochet
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:44 am

When I bought that red, white, and blue guitar I was 19 years old. It was anything but "retro" at the time.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Exactly!

ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:17 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-06 AT 06:17 PM (EST)]I saw this today on Goodwill...thought maybe you might want to add another Star Spangled guitar to your collection :)

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=1759325

By the way...if anyone is looking for a beater guitar...click on the small print "Musical Instruments" at the top of the above link...my gosh, it's one heck of a beater rich listing. I just got a brand new Johnson Dreadnaught for $40 from Goodwill. Now I can participate in the Johnson threads :)
1four5
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues