Stage Fright and Performance Anxieties- Tips and Techniques

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Stage Fright and Performance Anxieties- Tips and Techniques

Postby neil sharpe » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:03 am

In case anyone is interested, here are links to three articles I posted on another forum about managing nerves, pressure, and stage fright. Although written for sax players, the tips and techniques reviewed can be used by any musician. To date, over 150,000 dedicated hits have been recorded.
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/Pe ... arpe1.html

Attitudes and expectations can play an important role, as discussed in this interview with Downbeat award winner Ken Fornetran.
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Jazz/KenFornetran1.html

Also, jazz great Mel Martin has an interesting perspective:

“Let me offer a few direct and down to earth things that anyone can do to improve their jazz performance skills and get to ‘the Zen Zone.’ I practice a simple form of meditation for twenty minutes, once a day, usually in the morning. It has nothing to do with religion, purchasing a mantra or following a guru…The first ten minutes is for concentration. It could be on whatever I'm listening to, the back of my eyelids, my breathing or an upcoming performance. Being a very goal oriented person, I find that I might do the latter for a week or more prior to my performance using the technique of positive visualization. The second ten minutes are spent … allowing my mind to think whatever thoughts come up. As they emerge, I acknowledge them and then attempt to bring back the basic focus of my concentration of the first half…If you are readying yourself for performance, this will help you to maintain your focus so that when you hit the stage, you can be totally relaxed and confident. During the meditations…you can mentally rehearse the music you are going to perform. Then, before you go onstage, you can clear your mind of any clutter and all of the mental work you have done will pay off because you have embedded it on the subconscious level…You will be surprised at how liberating this can be. “
neil sharpe
Regular

Re: Stage Fright and Performance Anxieties- Tips and Techniques

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:41 am

I don't gig, never have, but that doesn't mean I won't some time in my life. I read through those pointers, and they seem like they might work.

I have terrible stage fright. I dread being the center of attention. For example, talking in a class, or talking to a group in general. Next time I have to give a presentation in one of my classes I will remember those techniques. And if I ever gig, I'll remember them then too.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Slim » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:45 pm

miller high life? works for me!LOL
Slim
Regular

Postby §treetslim » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:37 am

a shot and brew gets rid of the stage fright
§treetslim
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:06 am

§treetslim wrote:a shot and brew gets rid of the stage fright

A while back I posted a thread about ways to get over stage fright, because at the time I was getting ready to play rhythm for my buddy at a couple of his shows. Never happened, but I was still curious. Someone recommended having a shot. I'm only 18, so of course that wouldn't be legal, but it might help. Of course, I could always bring my own.... :wha:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:33 am

You poor american's!

I'm only 18 but it's legal to drink over here! Bitch Slaps last night... Shot of vodka, gin, white rum, and a wee bit of lemonade... for 2.50! ouch!
Bournio
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:28 am

A touch of booze is fine for most people, just don't overdo it. A, your playing will suffer, B, you can end up suffering.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:43 am

Yeah, I wasn't playing last night, so it was ok... dressed as a whore instead :shock: so I think the alcohol was needed!
I know when I'm playing I can get away with a couple, but no more till afterwards!
Bournio
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Bournio wrote:You poor american's!

I'm only 18 but it's legal to drink over here! Bitch Slaps last night... Shot of vodka, gin, white rum, and a wee bit of lemonade... for 2.50! ouch!

Bitch Slaps? Never heard of those over here. There is absolutely no way that I would drink that. Gin is the most vile beverage on the planet, and I don't really care for rum too much either.

maxx england wrote:A touch of booze is fine for most people, just don't overdo it. A, your playing will suffer, B, you can end up suffering.

I couldn't imagine playing drunk. That would be awful. It's hard enough to talk and stand while drunk.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:46 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:
I couldn't imagine playing drunk. That would be awful. It's hard enough to talk and stand while drunk.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to play, we've tried it after night's out and it doesnt work...
Bournio
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:51 pm

I've never done it drunk, but I've done it slightly buzzed. It wasn't enjoyable and I couldn't play anything. Way too hard to focus on the music.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby §treetslim » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:30 am

I did say ONE. Anymore than that and I'd be too drunk to play.
§treetslim
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:45 pm

One is definitely enough for me to relax. Two would make me a little wobbly. Three I'd have to put the guitar down.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Slim » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:45 pm

I have some friends who play in New Orleans and it amazes me the alcohol they consume and still play extremely well. I mean these guys do it every night and I am sure they have some other uh....enhancement at times also that may counteract the booze but it is still amazing to see a band drink likethat and perform a stellar show. Must take practice. I can have say a six pack after that I am a little too fuzzy. What is bad is that I think others notice before the person performing does! LOL!
Slim
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:31 pm

Something I was recently amazed to learn is that the Swiss drink socially on the rifle range. They seem to handle it well and have an excellent safety record. Not a practice I'll recommend or take up here, though.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs