Electric Guitar for Beginner But Experienced Musician.

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Electric Guitar for Beginner But Experienced Musician.

Postby neil sharpe » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:54 pm

I've been playing the sax for years but have got into songwriting and decided to take up the guitar.Something I've always wanted to do, but never found the time due to sax and work commitments. I'm now looking for a good guitar for beginners. Amps aren't a problem.

When I'm asked the same question for saxes, I generally recommend that they rent for the first few months to see if they'll stay with it and then if they do, there are a number of very good but relatively inexpensive pro quality horns that are much better than student saxes for tone, action and feel.

Would the same apply for guitars, and if so, would anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks very much!
neil sharpe
Regular

Re: Electric Guitar for Beginner But Experienced Musician.

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:17 am

Electric or acoustic? Or does it matter?

For electrics, Agile brand guitars are great guitars for the money, and really good guitars for the money as well. My first electric was an Epiphone Les Paul, which may be a little more than what you're willing to spend, but it's amazing for the money.

For acoustics, Art and Lutherie acoustics are really nice in my opinion. Several of the Epiphone acoustics are really great as well.

It wouldn't hurt to rent a guitar to try. Go to a guitar store and ask someone to show you about them and ask them to recommend you something. Your best bet (even if you dont know how to play) is to pick up a lot of guitars and find the one that feels most comfortable.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:18 am

There are a ton of great, low-priced guitars being made overseas by a number of brands.

Rondo's offerings always get a fair amount of praise around the web: rondomusic.com

leftyguitarman wrote:Electric or acoustic?

The Subject wrote:Electric Guitar for Beginner But Experienced Musician.

Good luck with college, Lefty... :mrgreen: ;)
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:31 am

Damn, don't I feel like a dumbass. I'm tired. Leave me alone. :oops:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby neil sharpe » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:58 am

Thanks very much leftyguitar man and rustyslide for the suggestions. I've already started checking them out.

Re the recommendation of the Epiphone Les Paul, there are a number of models, such as Custom, Standard, Studio, Special etc. Were you referring to a particular model or this line of guitars in general?

Thanks!
neil sharpe
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:07 am

Mine is a Standard. The new ones are made in China I believe, but mine came from Korea in '05. Based on others I've played, my Korean made one is a lot better quality than the Chinese made ones. So if you could find a used one made in 05 or before, it might be a better buy. But you can't go wrong with Rondo's stuff. My Agile (which came from Rondo Music) has the same neck as my Les Paul and feels a lot the same.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:22 am

Over here, Yamaha Pacificas cost much less than their quality would imply. I've seen a "last year, end of line" plain wood sell brand new for £100 retail. Think about it, a 100+ year old manufacturer, they've learned a bit over the years.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:49 pm

I'll put in another plug for the Agiles. I believe they're nicer guitars at the same price points compared to the Epiphones. They come from a different Korean maker. The Agiles compare closely with the Tokai "Love Rocks" line.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:53 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:my Korean made one is a lot better quality than the Chinese made ones.

I think that was true when the stuff just began coming off the line, but the thought has only kept-going as a symptom of the general feeling that many people have that Chinese made goods are crap. I've played a bunch of Epiphones over the years, and the country-of-origin hasn't made a lick of difference to this basic thought: some are better than others.

ricochet wrote:The Agiles compare closely with the Tokai "Love Rocks" line.

With the very cheap Chinese-made Love Rocks, yes, but not with the ones like this LS-320.

I don't know where Neil is, but you can't buy Tokai Love Rocks in North America*, so they're not a good suggestion for a beginner guitar, which should probably be picked out at a store with the help of a decent salesperson if not a friend that plays.

*As an aside, an importer in Canada commissioned some knock-off Tokais from Korea (Walter has one), and while fine instruments, they're sold by some less-scrupulous sellers for as much as the better, lower-end Japanese ones ($800 instead of $400).

Neil, is there any style of guitar that appeals to you, visually? or artist who's sound you particularly like? Those are great places to start for whittling down the choices.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:02 pm

rustyslide wrote:
ricochet wrote:The Agiles compare closely with the Tokai "Love Rocks" line.

With the very cheap Chinese-made Love Rocks, yes, but not with the ones like this LS-320.

No, I'm talking about the Korean made Tokai Love Rocks, I believe they're the same guitars. The Agiles also come in different grades.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:35 am

ricochet wrote:No, I'm talking about the Korean made Tokai Love Rocks, I believe they're the same guitars.

From what I've read, the Korean Tokais sold in Europe were very poor, while the stuff we got here was better, but as it happens, weren't actually ordered by the Tokai company ("Fakais" is the term that's been coined on the Tokai Forum).

The Agiles and Fakais could be the same guitar, but aside from the cheapest Agiles, the Agiles are probably better than the cheap, out-of-production, sold-in-Europe, Korean Tokais.

The non-Japanese Tokais (ie, the budget models) are now made in China (and have been for the past year or so), and I believe the quality has gone up (though still dismissed by cork-sniffing Japanese guitar lovers).

The Agiles also come in different grades.

My point was that the Tokai range starts near the top of the Agile one, and goes up past anything Gibson offers.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby neil sharpe » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:33 am

Again, many thanks for the suggestions and the discussion.

Right now, I'm gathering recommendations, then I'll start trying them out at dealers. I figure that's the only way to find the guitar that best suits me in terms of feel, solid tuners, and quality electronics.

Leftyguitar, thanks for letting me know your model was a Standard. They have been recommended elsewhere, and I found what looks like a good review on youtube.

Agiles have been highly recommended as well, such as the relatively inexpensive Agile AL-2000 P-90 Gold Top (although some argue that tuners don’t hold up that well)

Does anyone have experienced with the Eko line, in particular, the Eko VL480S Les Paul?

Rustyslide, I live up by Toronto Canada. As for guitarists and styles I like, my primary interest in the guitar would be for blues and R&B.

Of course, there are many great blues guitarists. If I had to pin it down, aside from the obvious ones like Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix, I like Albert King, Elmore James, Hound Dog Taylor, and recently, especially from a production perspective, have been listening to Junior Kimbrough.

Of these, I probably would go with Albert King. Any suggestions based on that?

Also, for saxes, some pros got together and posted a free online resource designed to guide the player from basic technique and theory all the way to recording techniques.
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Rock_n_Roll/

Is there any similar resource for guitarists. I've been looking online and haven't found anything as of yet.

Thanks again!
neil sharpe
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:42 pm

You can buy a Gibson faded Flying V for $550 to $600 on the net. It'll give you that Albert vibe.

Nice pickups and good hardware on these. Aint much dollars compared to any sax. And if you decide to give it up you'll get your moneysworth out of it.
goldbrick
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Have you heard of the Twelfth Fret, Neil? mostly pro stuff, but they had some lower priced stuff when I was there a couple of years ago. It's like the most wonderful candy shop.

...I need to visit the centre of the universe again sometime with a fist full of money.

Just about any all mahogany solid body guitar with dual humbuckers ought to set you down the right path for Albert King, though mostly in the fingers.

Here's an Albert King lick on a Telecaster (the high gain amp helps):
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby texas blues » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Albert King on a Tele? Blaspheme!! Stop! Don't do it!! That could open up a wormhole and all blues musicians would be sucked into a bad 70's disco to forever play KC and the Sunshine band covers. At least get an Epi V to play Albert. I like the Epi Korina over the Gibson faded and its a good chunk cheaper.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues