Tight truss rod

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

RE: Tight truss rod

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:40 pm

Don't forget the part about lubing the adjustment nut.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
User avatar
ricochet
Regular
 
Posts: 10256
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA

RE: Tight truss rod

Postby crowduck » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:43 pm

>Don't forget the part about lubing the adjustment nut.
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

I'm not '100% certain' about this, perhaps others will 'chime in'.
I believe there are 2 types of t-rods, single-action & two-way. I don't think the adjuster nut is easily removed, if at all, from a two-way, since it's designed to flex in two directions, and the nut is 'fixed' to the rod. I think single-action t-rods only flex in one direction, and that in most cases turning the nut in a 'clockwise' direction 'tightens', while turning 'counter-clockwise' loosens, and if continued counter-clockwise the nut will come off the t-rod. I've only removed them from the headstock end, which is easier I think, than from through the soundhole. In any event, proceed with caution, and make adjustments in small increments. If you attempt the procedure I described be sure to lay down some padding under the guitar back around the edges, as the guitars back is curved, not flat. And yes, put some support under the heel area. I'd put it down on a desktop with the neck hanging off the edge. You'll have to stick one hand through the soundhole with the proper adjuster wrench, and hold the body down with your other, while your helper flexes the neck down from the headstock. The flexing should take tension Off the adjuster nut, and allow it to turn easier in a clockwise dirction. It helps if you lay something flat on the fretboard, like a carpenters level, for reference.
I hope this 'makes sense', as it's my 2nd hand description of Dan Erlewines procedure. It's pretty simple 'to do', but harder to 'explain'. I hope this helps, and let us know how it works out.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:34 am

RE: Tight truss rod

Postby backdoorman » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:00 am

>>Don't forget the part about lubing the adjustment nut.
>>
>>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
>
>I'm not '100% certain' about this, perhaps others will
>'chime in'.
>I believe there are 2 types of t-rods, single-action &
>two-way. I don't think the adjuster nut is easily removed,
>if at all, from a two-way, since it's designed to flex in
>two directions, and the nut is 'fixed' to the rod. I think
>single-action t-rods only flex in one direction, and that in
>most cases turning the nut in a 'clockwise' direction
>'tightens', while turning 'counter-clockwise' loosens, and
>if continued counter-clockwise the nut will come off the
>t-rod. I've only removed them from the headstock end, which
>is easier I think, than from through the soundhole. In any
>event, proceed with caution, and make adjustments in small
>increments. If you attempt the procedure I described be sure
>to lay down some padding under the guitar back around the
>edges, as the guitars back is curved, not flat. And yes, put
>some support under the heel area. I'd put it down on a
>desktop with the neck hanging off the edge. You'll have to
>stick one hand through the soundhole with the proper
>adjuster wrench, and hold the body down with your other,
>while your helper flexes the neck down from the headstock.
>The flexing should take tension Off the adjuster nut, and
>allow it to turn easier in a clockwise dirction. It helps if
>you lay something flat on the fretboard, like a carpenters
>level, for reference.
>I hope this 'makes sense', as it's my 2nd hand description
>of Dan Erlewines procedure. It's pretty simple 'to do', but
>harder to 'explain'. I hope this helps, and let us know how
>it works out.
>
>CrowDuck

I tried to remove the nut to lube it. (Thanks, Ricochet.) I loosened it all the way but was unable to remove it. Maybe it's a double-action t-rod. I sprayed the nut with some WD40 equivalent and tightened it back up.

Your description of the procedure is quite clear. I'll give it a try, making sure not to go overboard with the flexing and break the neck. If it doesn't help, I'll try the slow and steady approach 1four5 recommends.

Thanks again.
backdoorman
Regular
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:25 am

RE: Tight truss rod

Postby backdoorman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:11 am

I tried the two-man, tooless adjustment procedure today and got about a quarter turn out of the t-rod. Coupled with a couple of smaller turns earlier, that improvement has brought the neck to just about where it should be. I'd like to straighten it out a bit more and suspect that once it has settled into its current position I'll be able to coax a bit more out of the t-rod.

I thank everyone for the advice on this one and hope to be able to return the favor someday.
backdoorman
Regular
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:25 am

RE: Tight truss rod

Postby crowduck » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:27 am

BackDoor,

Whew, I'm glad that worked!!
As you said, 'let it settle', before going any further.
Be careful, and enjoy.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:34 am

RE: Tight truss rod

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:56 pm

Greatnews! This kind of stuff always makes me a little apprehensive.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
User avatar
ricochet
Regular
 
Posts: 10256
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am
Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA

RE: Tight truss rod

Postby backdoorman » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:26 pm

>Greatnews! This kind of stuff always makes me a little
>apprehensive.
>

Yes. When I think about it, it seems pretty remarkable that the truss rod works at all. I don't know how long it had been there, but the guitar was hanging on the wall of a second-hand shop with an open storefront and no air conditioning about 100 yards or so from the sea. The strings were corroded, but the tuners weren't.

All the best.
backdoorman
Regular
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:25 am

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron