Tone Advice

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Tone Advice

Postby keith j » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:42 pm

Hey hows it going?

Alright well I play acoustic and electric blues. The tone problems come in when I play electric. Half the time I play my strat or les paul unplugged and love the way both guitars sound that way. My problem is I can get the sound I hear when they are unplugged to sound that way when they are amplified. Anyone have any suggestions?

Keith
keith j
Regular

RE: Tone Advice

Postby rustyslide » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:24 pm

Not with an electric guitar pickup. You could try using a stick-on piezo pickup, but I don't think it'd work out well.

You're always going to hear the colouration of the pickups and amplifier to what you hear unplugged.

You could try running your guitar through a mic preamp and into the board, or running your guitar into an aux-in or effects loop return of a guitar amp, but again, you're going to be hearing the pickups.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby redblues » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:55 pm

get one of them small recorders, and just record yourself while playing unplugged.

but, not quite sure what you meant about you liking your LP and strat unplugged sound better? sell them and invest in another acoustic?

kelvin
redblues
Regular

Postby deferre » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:10 pm

What kind of amplifier are you using?

Perhaps you can take both guitars, go to a good store and try out different amps till you find what you need?
deferre
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:58 pm

I'm guessing you kind of like a thin, jangly tone, if you like the unplugged sound? Turn your bass way down, mids up just a little more, and treble way up. Use your bridge pickup. Keep the gain way down so it's "clean." Play around with it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:41 pm

I'm with Ric here. Doing that should give you a tone somewhat similar to Buddy Guy's tone on Junior Wells' "Hoodoo Man Blues" album, only a little cleaner.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:27 am

I've been playing a long time..... and I understand the question.... but I don't understand the question because you're takling apples and oranges. Electric guitar sounds like an electric guitar (strats, les pauls etc...) and are played accordingly. Acoustic guitars sound like acoustic guitars (even when they are electric acoustic) Maybe you're trying to do something that should be done on a different type of instrument.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:56 am

Durka, durka.

He's complaining about his fingers.

And it's not like he's even been back.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues power » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:04 pm

liek they said already, what kinda amp do you have?

i like the tone of playing unpluged also and know the sound your looking for.
for starters youll need a clean amp. and youll have to work your tone and vol on the guitar till you find the sweet spot.

an EQ pedal will be helpful. slide the 3 center sliders way down and itll almost sound like an acoustic guitar
blues power
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:50 am

I think I know what you mean, as I play a lot of unamplified Strat too (believe me, you DON'T want to wake up a 22 month old once he finally sleeps ;) ). What I noticed is that when you play like this you hear more of the wood vibrating and more (?different?) overtones than when plugged in. I'm also trying to get THAT sound out of my speaker, but I guess it's impossible because of the fact that Strat pickups only pick up the vibrations of the strings and what you hear unamplified is more to do with the wood, so maybe you need a contact mic to add this to the sound.
jaybee
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:19 pm

There are solid body electrics that have a piezo pickup in the bridge as well as magnetic pickups. The piezo would likely give you more of that sound, played clean.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues